Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:34 AM   #31
Greyfox

Vic, You are an excellent announcer but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Very sharp post. Well done Balls

Vic, you are an excellent announcer but......
the number of times you have been on this board and said
"very sharp post" makes you one of the most boring contributors here.

Surely you have a more expansive vocabulary than..

"very sharp post." Give your head a shake. In fact shake it a couple of times.

I luv your announcing, yet think your posts here are becoming trivial.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #32
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox

Very dull post.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #33
mountainman

As an analyst, I try to remember that every race is the seventh game of SOMEbodie's world series, so it's important to maintain some enthusiasm. I think good announcers tend to follow the same creed without going overboard. While not normally a fan of deep-stretch screaming, if it's really spontaneous, it works for me.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #34
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
As an analyst, I try to remember that every race is the seventh game of SOMEbodie's world series, so it's important to maintain some enthusiasm. I think good announcers tend to follow the same creed without going overboard. While not normally a fan of deep-stretch screaming, if it's really spontaneous, it works for me.
I think all announcers at different times for whatever reason can get over excited from time to time.This is human nature.Perhaps they havebet the winning horse,perhaps their good friend owns the horse etc...etc...I try not to let any announcer annoy me but i cannot stand the voice of the fellow at finger lakes.The few times i make bets their i turn the sound off!His voice combined with his inflection just annoy me , i just cannot listen.
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #35
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
A graded stakes race is special and should be made to sound that way. It is different. That being said I believe that every race has a special story. Moreso as an annoucer I remind my self everyday that people are betting their hard earned money and deserve a professional call regardless of the day or class level. As for the intensity the races can dictate that. Cool exciting things can happen anytime. A pitcher may pitch a perfect game on a rainy Wed. in a game between the Brewers and Pirates.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #36
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Very dull post.
Comeback of the month!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #37
Greyfox

Quote:
A graded stakes race is special and should be made to sound that way. It is different. That being said I believe that every race has a special story. Moreso as an annoucer I remind my self everyday that people are betting their hard earned money and deserve a professional call regardless of the day or class level. As for the intensity the races can dictate that. Cool exciting things can happen anytime. A pitcher may pitch a perfect game on a rainy Wed. in a game between the Brewers and Pirates.
Sharp post.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #38
turfnsport

Quote:
Very sharp post. Well done Goof.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #39
craigbraddick

I am not sure a racecaller should ever be shouting or screaming.

But certainly if you possess the ability to use your voice in a dramatic way in an exciting finish then I see little wrong with milking the excitement for what it is worth.

Not every race is the Kentucky Derby (and while there is an old saying that every race is the Derby to someone, I try to credit listeners with more intelligence than that.)

There are very few dull horse races, and I think every good racecaller tries to capture the unfolding moment in words that will compliment the action as opposed to the racecaller trying to upstage the action. Though I am sure some would disagree with me.

A lot of us racecallers have a little "ham" in us, but it needs to be used as a small side dish in a greater meal and not as the main course, getting in the way of the race itself! It can be a fine line sometimes and everyone crosses it occasionally!

That said, every race is really like a play, it has a beginning, middle and an end, protagonists, antagonists and maybe one or two twists in the tale. How the racecaller interprets the action is often the difference between an OK call and a good call.

Craig.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #40
TommyCh

Quote:

As Paulie Walnuts would say: "OHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"
TommyCh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #41
TommyCh

Smile

Quote:
Very dull post.

I don't think volume level is a huge issue. If a race is close, no matter what level, it's exciting. Durkin controls himself pretty well. The guy at Tampa is pretty excitable. The main thing is that the caller doesn't lost track of the horses and doesn't miss the big move coming down the stretch. John G. Dooley is good when he throws in a little back fact, such as the jock winning his third of the day or the connections of "so-and-so." The guy at Churchill is a little tedious. Is he going to be calling the Breeders Cup?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #42
Greyfox

Just a couple more days in Purgatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCh
For knocking a posting announcer I just have more time to do in purgatory.

Paulie Walnuts said:
"That's different for everybody. You add up all your mortal sins and multiply that number by 50. Then you add up all your venial sins and multiply that by 25. You add that together and that's your sentence. I figure I'm gonna have to do 6,000 years before I get accepted into heaven and 6,000 years is nothin' in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It's like a couple of days here."
Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #43
TommyCh

Quote:
For knocking a posting announcer I just have more time to do in purgatory.

Paulie Walnuts said:
"That's different for everybody. You add up all your mortal sins and multiply that number by 50. Then you add up all your venial sins and multiply that by 25. You add that together and that's your sentence. I figure I'm gonna have to do 6,000 years before I get accepted into heaven and 6,000 years is nothin' in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It's like a couple of days here."
Yo, good comeback!
Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #44
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Well done Balls
Greyfox, how the hell can you call a post that contains the phrase "well done balls" boring or trivial?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #45
Stillriledup
Veteran

Listen to the call of the 3rd race at Churchill on 11/19, you would think this was the Ky Derby and not a 15k maiden claimer. Geez, way over the top.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply