Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

Great dog/deer "battle"

Good friend sent this one along.

http://www.wimp.com/oneball/
Old 08-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
DJofSD
Screw PC

Way cool.

God I miss my lab.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
BlueShoe

Cute, two natural enemies, the Lab and the fawn playing together. Look carefully and you can see a couple of kitties taking in the show. One perhaps troubling thing though. If the fawn is conditioned to accept all canines as friends it could cost it its life. Unknown is where the film was taken, but is it in Canada where there are wolves, if not, coyotes are widespread, and there are always hostile large dogs.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
TheBid9
De Profundis ad Lucem

If only people could learn to act more like animals!
TheBid9 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBid9
If only people could learn to act more like animals!
That's the problem -- too many already do.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
prospector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Way cool.

God I miss my lab.
what can you tell me about a lab? i have a chance to get one from the animal shelter...he's 4 years old and people want pups, but i'm too old to get a pub..
Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
TheBid9
De Profundis ad Lucem

Quote:
That's the problem -- too many already do.
Animals are simple, natural, true to their nature, there isn't a phony bone in their body! Humans are liars, manipulative, cruel and vindictive. Like I said:
if only humans could act more like animals!!!
TheBid9 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospector
what can you tell me about a lab? i have a chance to get one from the animal shelter...he's 4 years old and people want pups, but i'm too old to get a pub..
Labs, to borrow a line, just wanna have fun.

Mine was happy go lucky, happy to be where ever I took her. Well behaved in all situations. I found her to have a great balance, energy wise, quiet while in doors but then very active once outside. Beach or moutains, she liked it all.

I got her as an adult dog that was a come back to the original breeder. She was very well acustomed to being around both cats and lots of other dog. She did not chase or bark at cats. And believe it or not, she cohabitated with a domesticated feral cat.

The only problem I had was when I first got her and put her on a lead. She pulled terribly. After taking a training class (which is mainly for training the people, not the dog), she became much easier to have on a leash when it was needed.

If you do get a lab, they need regular exercise. Living in San Diego, there are lots and lots of opportunities for hiking even within the urban areas. A favorite was dog beach in Del Mar. It never ceased to amaze me the large number of dogs that can run and play, either in a pack or just with their owner, and there's never a fight. Dog beach was far and away her favorite. You could tell by the smile on her face.

A last note about the breed: they are used quiet often as companion or aid dogs. There's a certain intelligence that labs have that I believe sets them apart.

As far as your potential 4 year old lab from the shelter, spend a lot of time with the dog. Let your feelings guide you if it would be a good match or not. And don't be surprised, if you do take the dog, how quickly you will bond.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #9
Canadian
Veteran

Quote:
Labs, to borrow a line, just wanna have fun.

Mine was happy go lucky, happy to be where ever I took her. Well behaved in all situations. I found her to have a great balance, energy wise, quiet while in doors but then very active once outside. Beach or moutains, she liked it all.

I got her as an adult dog that was a come back to the original breeder. She was very well acustomed to being around both cats and lots of other dog. She did not chase or bark at cats. And believe it or not, she cohabitated with a domesticated feral cat.

The only problem I had was when I first got her and put her on a lead. She pulled terribly. After taking a training class (which is mainly for training the people, not the dog), she became much easier to have on a leash when it was needed.

If you do get a lab, they need regular exercise. Living in San Diego, there are lots and lots of opportunities for hiking even within the urban areas. A favorite was dog beach in Del Mar. It never ceased to amaze me the large number of dogs that can run and play, either in a pack or just with their owner, and there's never a fight. Dog beach was far and away her favorite. You could tell by the smile on her face.

A last note about the breed: they are used quiet often as companion or aid dogs. There's a certain intelligence that labs have that I believe sets them apart.

As far as your potential 4 year old lab from the shelter, spend a lot of time with the dog. Let your feelings guide you if it would be a good match or not. And don't be surprised, if you do take the dog, how quickly you will bond.

I would have to agree with that. I had two black labs growing up and they were awesome. They have to be one of the best breeds of dog.
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
prospector

i got a lab/shepard mix from a no kill shelter..
smart dog..tons of energy..bonding already..now, if i can just train him to smell out gold, it'll cut down on my digging..
Old 08-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Even though that deer is but a babe, I'm thinking those rapid-fire kicks pack quite a wallop...that dog is lucky he didn't lose an eye or something...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospector
i got a lab/shepard mix from a no kill shelter..
smart dog..tons of energy..bonding already..now, if i can just train him to smell out gold, it'll cut down on my digging..
Depending on the situation and your location, get some advice about training your new friend to avoid rattlesnakes.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #13
prospector

Quote:
Depending on the situation and your location, get some advice about training your new friend to avoid rattlesnakes.
i never let any of my dogs get in danger when i'm prospecting...i'm as careful with them as i am with myself..
this dog is magical though..he went to sleep last night in his bed and woke up in mine..
Old 08-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Even though that deer is but a babe, I'm thinking those rapid-fire kicks pack quite a wallop...that dog is lucky he didn't lose an eye or something...
The fawn was just sparring and was not trying to strike the dog. But yes, an adult deers hooves can be deadly. A 200 pound buck can kill a dog the size of a Lab with those lightning fast strong kicks.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply