Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Old 07-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
rwwupl

Item#16,CHRB meeting,7-22-10,Del Mar

Item 16,CHRB meeting 7-22-10,Del Mar‏
Sent: Wed 7/14/10 5:03 PM
To: xxx CHRB et,al
Names and e-mails protected

This e-mail is pursuant to item #16 on the agenda for the CHRB meeting July 22, 2010 at Del Mar Surfside.

Revenue Stream; The takeout dollar in California, where it goes, and how it is used and the sources of handle.

excerpt:#1

Quote:
I hope this discussion will result in asking the organizations and others who receive takeout dollars to be asked to justify the expenditures and what they have accomplished with the granted money.

What have they done to improve the industry?
excerpt#2

Quote:
I would like to see the Van and Stabling program be addressed again and have it explained why a subsidized program at Hollywood for stall space had the Racing Secretary say late in the season in print “We are down to 2,800 horses, and 1300 of them have not run”. I thought all horses had to be race ready to qualify. What can we do about this?

It was agreed 0n 7-22-10 by the CHRB that this matter will be carried forward with further data/information.
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
andymays
Veteran

What happened at the meeting?
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
rwwupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
What happened at the meeting?

I think I will defer to Jeff on item #15, but item #16 gained some traction.

Need some more time to analyze...no new plan from Stronach. The TOC has some data that they have been working on to offer on item #16,CHRB agreed to look it over.

Last edited by rwwupl; 07-22-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwupl
I think I will defer to Jeff on item #15, but item #16 gained some traction.

Need some more time to analyze...no new plan from Stronach. The TOC has some data that they have been working on to offer on item #16,CHRB agreed to look it over.

It's my understanding that they did what the always do. Predetermined outcome once again. They decide before the meetings and put on the show.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Item #15 Review of Los Al takeout increase:

Not that all of the Commissioners voting today actually read the entire meeting package that dealt with the Los Al increased takeout experiment before voting at today's meeting... Hint: They didn't and one of the Commissioners admitted as much right before the motion was called to a vote...

Not that everyone who filled out a card to speak on this agenda item was actually given the chance to speak before a decision was reached... Hint: The Chairman made his motion to continue the takeout increase and it was seconded before Barry Meadow was given his chance to speak... That little factoid should appear as part of the meeting transcript too...

But by including the spreadsheet that I prepared as part of the meeting package, the CHRB at least acknowledged the fact that on track handle for Los Al since the start of the experiment was off 27% on a 2010 vs. 2009 per calendar basis.

Handle off significantly during the time period of the experiment was not enough to sway them. They voted unanimously today to continue the increased takeout experiment until it is scheduled to automatically sunset on or about Sept 8, 2010.

I can tell you from talking with some of the industry participants present at today's meeting that handle off significantly doesn't matter. There is an element among the horsemen where takeout increases are seen as somehow having the potential to pay for purse increases... which are now "needed" because for some strange reason handle keeps going down.

Today I was pulled aside and thanked by some of the CHRB members and staff for volunteering my time and getting involved. That's refreshing I guess.

But I have to call it like I see it. On track handle off 27% is a pretty clear sign (at least to me) that increased takeout isn't the answer. Apparently, racing's decision makers in CA don't see it that way. I don't know what the breaking point is... 30%... 45%... 60%???... It appears for the time being that 27% just isn't a clear enough sign.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 07-22-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
andymays
Veteran

The only way to get things to change is to publicize the dishonesty. It has to be brought out in the open not just to a few but to many. These guys know that only a few people are paying attention to this and they have no problem going back on their word.

This is just another in a long line of dirty dealing that has gone on in California for decades. The tracks run the CHRB and the customer be damned.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
rwwupl

Jeff,

You were well prepared and got the "treatment" again on this issue. You are correct that the decision was in advance and I know there was considerable letters and data to support your conclusion that were not considered. Barry Meadow was allowed to talk after the decision was made.

They all concluded that a raise in takeout has no impact on handle and is a good thing...How Sad!

Maybe we will have to buy a horse to be taken seriously by the CHRB

Ps... I have been in your position several times with this Board, and after a decision that did not add up , they all would be friendly and say "you did well and I understand your point... but....

Last edited by rwwupl; 07-22-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Jeff,

You were well prepared and got the "treatment" again on this issue. You are correct that the decision was in advance and I know there was considerable letters and data to support your conclusion that were not considered. Barry Meadow was allowed to talk after the decision was made.

They all concluded that a raise in takeout has no impact on handle and is a good thing...How Sad!

Ps... I have been in your position several times with this Board, and after a decision that did not add up , they all would be friendly and say "you did well and I understand your point... but....

It's part of "the treatment". They make you feel like you took a good shot and almost got there and they appreciate your effort. But now go away and remember to bet on California Racing every chance you get.

What a load of crap. This was another dishonest deal by the CHRB.

Last edited by andymays; 07-22-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
I can tell you from talking with some of the industry participants present at today's meeting that handle off significantly doesn't matter. There is an element among the horsemen where takeout increases are seen as somehow having the potential to pay for purse increases... which are now "needed" because for some strange reason handle keeps going down.
I officially gave up a month ago. I'm done.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
That definitely has no influence with them.

I'll sell you one of mine if you think it will help.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
andymays
Veteran

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...i-developments

Excerpt:

In other action, the CHRB extended a 2% increase in takeout at Los Alamitos Race Course through the end of the year. The board originally improved the hike Jan. 15 on a temporary basis.

Richard English, representing Los Alamitos, told the board, "This increase in takeout is vital to our operation."

English said the increased takeout has helped the track deal with a downturn in hande of about 16% from 2009, which he blamed on smaller field sizes.

Bettors Barry Meadow of TR Publishing and Jeff Platt of Horseplayers Association of North America disagreed with that assessment, blaming the dip in wagering directly on the takeout hike. It raised the Quarter Horse track's deduction to 16.62% on conventional win, place, and show wagers, and 22% on exotics.

"I don't see how you can raise prices in these economic conditions," Meadow said. "If anything, you should be cutting the takeout, not increasing it."
Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...i-developments

... Bettors Barry Meadow of TR Publishing and Jeff Platt of Horseplayers Association of North America disagreed with that assessment, blaming the dip in wagering directly on the takeout hike. It raised the Quarter Horse track's deduction to 16.62% on conventional win, place, and show wagers, and 22% on exotics.

"I don't see how you can raise prices in these economic conditions," Meadow said. it."If anything, you should be cutting the takeout, not increasing "
That's the message that needed to be delivered. Thank you, Mr. Meadow.

California tracks have seen my last dollar until significant changes are made. Thanks to rw, JP, and BM for their efforts. If three people with their abilities coudn't make an impact on the board, nobody should be wasting their time and money trying.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 AM   #13
highnote

Telling CHRB what they should do is not using enough leverage to change their minds. A lot of leverage is needed. It's the old carrot and the stick. If you can make the carrot attractive enough then they will move toward the carrot. If that doesn't work then you need a really big stick to whack them with. If giving them pleasure doesn't work then giving them pain is the only other option.

One thing is obvious -- if getting CHRB to reduce takeout was the goal then not enough leverage was used. It might be the case that the only thing that will cause them to move on this is one or more tracks going into bankruptcy. Even bankruptcy may not be enough to induce them to lower takeouts. They may blame low handle on the economy.

Maybe PA members should do some brainstorming on what can be done to pursuade CHRB to lower takeout? If the things that have been tried aren't working then try something else.

That's my free advice -- and it's worth every penny.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #14
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetyejohn
Telling CHRB what they should do is not using enough leverage to change their minds. A lot of leverage is needed. It's the old carrot and the stick. If you can make the carrot attractive enough then they will move toward the carrot. If that doesn't work then you need a really big stick to whack them with. If giving them pleasure doesn't work then giving them pain is the only other option.

One thing is obvious -- if getting CHRB to reduce takeout was the goal then not enough leverage was used. It might be the case that the only thing that will cause them to move on this is one or more tracks going into bankruptcy. Even bankruptcy may not be enough to induce them to lower takeouts. They may blame low handle on the economy.

Maybe PA members should do some brainstorming on what can be done to pursuade CHRB to lower takeout? If the things that have been tried aren't working then try something else.

That's my free advice -- and it's worth every penny.
Trying to talk tough again, eh sj? I recall tough talking in your posts and chats here in 2008 that subsequently morphed into advocacy of the influential insider approach. I suppose it's possible you could help create another movement that would actually confront these people in some meaningful fashion, but it’s going to take more than euphemisms like "big stick" and "whack." Sometimes "free" is still too expensive.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
andymays
Veteran

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/ch...-developments/

Excerpt:

When Jeff Platt of the Horseplayers Association of North America testified on a matter relating to a takeout increase at Los Alamitos, Platt made the mistake of bringing his laptop computer and coffee mug to the witness table. “Mr. Platt has brought his coffee to the table, thinking he’s going to be here for a long time,” said Brackpool, who sets strict time limits on witnesses and public comments. “I’ve never seen that before.”

During that same discussion, horseplayer Barry Meadow addressed the board and tried to use several analogies to explain why an increase in takeout was a bad idea. Brackpool cut him off, saying, “I’m only going to permit you two analogies per comment.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope everyone can see what a group of dirt rotten S.O.B's the CHRB really is.

They really think they're something when in fact there a bunch self serving and corrupt jerk*ffs. That's the clean version.

Does everyone get it now?

You have to fight outside the box and not play their silly little game anymore.