Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
andymays
Veteran

Jenny Craig's horse farm up for sale! Rancho Paseana for 29 Million.

Gorgeous facility in Rancho Santa Fe. See Video!

http://www.cbs8.com/global/story.asp?s=12563847

More and more people are getting out in California.

Last edited by andymays; 05-29-2010 at 08:34 AM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
andymays
Veteran

http://www.delmartimes.net/news/2595...ength-at-races

Excerpt:

Jenny Craig lost her husband, Sid, in July 2008. Sid was her partner in life as well as in business, and they shared a hobby - racing horses.

The successful Jenny Craig Weight Loss business, which the couple founded, became a public company years ago. The Craigs took pleasure in watching their racehorses. But last summer, Jenny Craig admitted she did not attend the races much following her husband's death.

Asked what advice she would give to others dealing with the loss of a spouse, Craig said: "I can only answer for myself. I changed my routine because if you did everything together, the void becomes so omnipresent and overwhelming.

"You can't live with your grief 24 hours a day. It's not good for your health," Craig said. She was married to Sid for 30 years. "Take care of yourself. Do things that will be good for you healthwise and emotionally."

To change her routine, Craig left her home in Del Mar and went to spend some time in New York,. where she walked and visited museums.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
only11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
http://www.delmartimes.net/news/2595...ength-at-races

Excerpt:

Jenny Craig lost her husband, Sid, in July 2008. Sid was her partner in life as well as in business, and they shared a hobby - racing horses.

The successful Jenny Craig Weight Loss business, which the couple founded, became a public company years ago. The Craigs took pleasure in watching their racehorses. But last summer, Jenny Craig admitted she did not attend the races much following her husband's death.

Asked what advice she would give to others dealing with the loss of a spouse, Craig said: "I can only answer for myself. I changed my routine because if you did everything together, the void becomes so omnipresent and overwhelming.

"You can't live with your grief 24 hours a day. It's not good for your health," Craig said. She was married to Sid for 30 years. "Take care of yourself. Do things that will be good for you healthwise and emotionally."

To change her routine, Craig left her home in Del Mar and went to spend some time in New York,. where she walked and visited museums.
Whatever happen to Paseana?Havent never seen her babies run?
only11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by only11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paseana

Excerpt:

Paseana (1987–2006) was an Argentine-bred Thoroughbred mare racehorse who competed very successfully in Argentina and in the United States, where she was elected to the Racing Hall of Fame.

A descendant of the extremely important sire Nearco, Paseana won Grade 1 races in Argentina before being sold at age four to Americans Jenny & Sidney Craig, noted business personalities who founded the weight loss company Jenny Craig, Inc.. Based in California, Paseana's conditioning was taken over by future Hall of Fame inductee Ron McAnally. In 1991, Paseana began a seven-race win streak, of which five were Grade I races.

Excerpt:

On June 21, 2006, Paseana died at Haras San Ignacio de Loyola in Argentia following hemorrhaging due to a ruptured abdominal blood vessel.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
andymays
Veteran

Rancho Paseana website:

http://www.rpaseana.com/

Craig's Family privately owned Rancho Paseana is dedicated to providing quality training and rehabilitation for Thoroughbred horses. The training center is located in sunny southern California only miles east of Del Mar Racetrack. The picturesque location offers ideal weather that permits year round conditioning. Our dedicated commitment and focused attention to the individual care of each horse ensures their gradual progress and maximum potential
Old 05-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
only11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Rancho Paseana website:

http://www.rpaseana.com/

Craig's Family privately owned Rancho Paseana is dedicated to providing quality training and rehabilitation for Thoroughbred horses. The training center is located in sunny southern California only miles east of Del Mar Racetrack. The picturesque location offers ideal weather that permits year round conditioning. Our dedicated commitment and focused attention to the individual care of each horse ensures their gradual progress and maximum potential
Andy do you think horses like PAseana ,Riboletta,Bayakoa,Ladys Secret etc have fertility problems because of the medication they were on?
only11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Andy do you think horses like PAseana ,Riboletta,Bayakoa,Ladys Secret etc have fertility problems because of the medication they were on?

Don't know but it's possible.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Last time I saw a Jenny Craig horse running, they announced it would be 3 pounds overweight. Good publicity.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Last time I saw a Jenny Craig horse running, they announced it would be 3 pounds overweight. Good publicity.
And Tom, darlin', if Kirstie Alley, Jenny's former spokesperson, who gained every pound back and then some, was on him you could tack on 200 lbs over.

Lord that woman gained every pound she lost BACK!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Gorgeous place, no doubt....I didn't know it was Gene Klien's place before the Craig's had it. Someone will step up and buy it...

Grits...I had to chuckle over your post...Kirstie Alley did gain back all her weight...how can anyone, especially with a lot of money to pay a trainer, can loose so much and gain it all back is beyond me...I can't imagine what it feels like to carry so much weight. I am soooooo glad I can eat anything and not worry about gaining weight.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
Paseana

Quote:
Paseana (my namesake) only produced one live foal, a filly born in Argentina and named Paseana's Girl. She herself has produced 3 foals by Candy Ride, which already makes her more successful than her mother, at least reproductively.

The problem with Paseana wasn't that should couldn't carry foals to term. They pretty much couldn't get her to conceive period. I'm not so sure that it was infertility as much as reproductive cycling. I don't know that for sure, but I think I read something to that effect. I don't know.....maybe inablility to cycle is the same thing as infertility. I'm no expert, that's for sure.

I wonder if the reason why some of these hard-running, hard-training, top-class racemares sometimes have reproductive problems is because all that hard training and high-level competition maybe messes with their cycles. I've heard stories about young female gymnasts who go through years of intense physical training prior to puberty and end up with messed-up menstrual cycles. You can't really compare horses to humans, but I wonder if there might be something to that.

It's a common misconception (no pun intended) that Lady's Secret was infertile. That's not the case. She produced at least 12 foals before she died in 2003, and at least half of them made it to the races. Lady's Secret's problem was that her weak female family caught up with her big time. She produced 2 foals by Mr. Prospector, 2 by Seattle Slew, 2 by Alydar, and 1 by Danzig.......all among the most high-profile stallions of the time. NONE of them could run a lick! And SHE was by one of two greatest broodmare sires of the modern era.

Truly ironic!
Paseana is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
breezing

bummer rancho paseana is being sold - hopefully it will continue as it has in the past. i know john sherriffs has sent a number of horses down there for a little r&r - the last one i know that was there was scenic blast.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
andymays
Veteran

I think everyone is waiting for Fabulous Frank to make his move before they invest in California racing again. The uncertainty is bad for business.