Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
wisconsin

Holiday Horse Shortage

Well, I thought that maybe this Sunday I would go ou to the track for a day of racing. Arlington is the closest track to me, but one glance at the entries, and all I can say is: borrrrrrring. Short fields abound, can't even get more than six for an optional claimer on the grass.

Next idea was to go the OTB. Another quick glance at some other tracks, and viola! Same thing everywhere. The only card that looks half-interesting is Belmont with 6 straight turf races, and those fields are smaller than usual.

If this is a sign of the times going into summer racing in full swing, I can't wait for the shortage of horses during the usual lull that happens around August when the decent horses are out of conditions to run in.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
tbwinner

Arlington has been ridiculous this meet. A few Fridays ago I remember the first 5 races had no more than 6-7 runners, with at least a scratch in each one (no weather problems either). And they wonder why their handle is in the dumps...
Sunday's card is also ridiculous for them too; especially with the holiday weekend. Starting off with a $7500 claimer with 6 runners. I'd make a bet at least one scratches out. Makes me wonder what Memorial Day's will look like (entries close today).

I do somewhat like Calder, Monmouth and Belmont's 6 straight turf races (their first 4 are ridiculous though, 5-7 runners each) for Sunday. Might be able to squeeze some action between those three.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Cardus
Veteran

(Come) on, Wisconsin.

You can do better than this.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
illinoisbred

There seems to be alot more maintenance/manipulation of the Polytrack surface this year than previous years. Yesterday was one of the slowest days since it's inception. I wonder if trainers are becoming reluctant to enter because of this.There's been too many 6 horse fields where 2 trainers represent 4 of the 6 entries. Purse cuts have to be coming soon.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
craigbraddick

Wisconsin:

Over 9 per race at ARP this weekend!

Craig
Old 05-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin
Well, I thought that maybe this Sunday I would go ou to the track for a day of racing. Arlington is the closest track to me, but one glance at the entries, and all I can say is: borrrrrrring. Short fields abound, can't even get more than six for an optional claimer on the grass.

Next idea was to go the OTB. Another quick glance at some other tracks, and viola! Same thing everywhere. The only card that looks half-interesting is Belmont with 6 straight turf races, and those fields are smaller than usual.

If this is a sign of the times going into summer racing in full swing, I can't wait for the shortage of horses during the usual lull that happens around August when the decent horses are out of conditions to run in.

Take a good look at Monmouth on Sunday with 127 horses entered in 12 races with plenty of betting chances and large pools to make a big score at the Jersey Shore. (50 cents pick 5 races 6 thru 10).

Good luck.
BTW: They still run on dirt at Monmouth.
________
David-LV

Last edited by David-LV; 05-28-2010 at 03:14 PM.
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick
Wisconsin:

Over 9 per race at ARP this weekend!

Craig
Craig,

My wife lost her job when Midwest merged with Frontier, so no more free flights for me. Was hoping to come back and do your handicapping show and take you up on the offer to call a race.

Maybe next summer we'll actually drive back to Denver. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by wisconsin; 05-28-2010 at 06:13 PM.
wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply