Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #16
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiles
A typical day for the best rider in the country.

Rode in 8 races 7 of them favorites, 3 of them odds on, and he managed to win a total of 1 race,he thought that he had won the 6th too but he got beat, because the horse that beat him was ridden by MARAGH who is much better than him.
So why were they favorites? Were they the best horses? Or do they over-bet Dominguez?

In the two races I handicapped I didn't see enough reason to make his horses the favorite.
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
kenwoodallpromos

From the Jockey's Guild:

"With a record of 376-268-233 from 1,560 starters in New York in 2009, Dominguez won with more than 24 percent of his mounts, which earned $15,338,310."
Old 04-22-2010, 01:00 AM   #18
shouldacoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiles
A typical day for the best rider in the country.

RACE-1 6/5 2ND

RACE-3 3/2 WON

RACE-4 4-1 2ND

RACE-5 4/5 3D

RACE- 6 9/5 2ND

RACE-8 2/5 2ND

RACE-9 4/5 OUT

Rode in 8 races 7 of them favorites, 3 of them odds on, and he managed to win a total of 1 race,he thought that he had won the 6th too but he got beat, because the horse that beat him was ridden by MARAGH who is much better than him.
If he is the best rider in the country how can you say Maragh is better? How can you say he is the best in the country? Better than Baze? or Smith? or Nakatani? Homeister? His horses get bet down because the chalkers love him. I respect his abilities but I wouldn't say he is the best in the country. I also don't see how you could rate his talents by one day either.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #19
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldacoulda
If he is the best rider in the country how can you say Maragh is better? How can you say he is the best in the country? Better than Baze? or Smith? or Nakatani? Homeister? His horses get bet down because the chalkers love him. I respect his abilities but I wouldn't say he is the best in the country. I also don't see how you could rate his talents by one day either.
Do you really think any of the riders you mentioned are better riders than Dominguez?

Homeister?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 02:04 AM   #20
Light
Veteran

RD does not set the odds, the public does. It's just that everyone pays attention to the leading rider and usually bets his mounts down to favoritism by giving him the benefit of the doubt that his horse must be live if the leading rider is getting on. After all why would the leading rider bother with a loser? He can have almost any mount,right? It's a pervasive racetrack mentality that goes on accross the country.I didn't like most of Dominguez's mounts today and I dont blame him for his poor showing. I blame the public for their incorrect assessment of his mounts. Thank God for that,otherwise there would be no profit to make in this game.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #21
shouldacoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Do you really think any of the riders you mentioned are better riders than Dominguez?

Homeister?
I wanted to change that post but got locked in while editing it . I checked the stats and Baze is the only one that has better numbers than him. Also understand I am not trying to bust on Dominguez either. What I wanted posted said that 1 out of the money and 1 3rd place wasn't too shabby. Not by any means. Bottom line, you don't win consecutive awards like he has by sucking.
RD sprints 24%win 58% in the $ routes 25% win 64% in the $

Maybe you should read what I said in response to another criticism of him post #42
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...2&page=3&pp=15
Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #22
Linny

Arcaro had days like that too. The fact is the almost everything he rides is overbet. That common hanger he lost the 1st on has never crossed the line first, but faces winners because of a DQ.

Mr. Fantasy was insanely overbet as the "hype" horse. The winner was logical and Ramon had won 2 in a row on him, but went to Mr F because he'd made a commitment to him when he went to FLA to ride him in his return. If Ramon stays with Dr. W then Mr F would have been about 2-1 and Dr W about 5-1. The guy wins enough that he actually has an effect on the pools, and in NY that's saying something.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #23
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
Arcaro had days like that too. The fact is the almost everything he rides is overbet. That common hanger he lost the 1st on has never crossed the line first, but faces winners because of a DQ.

Mr. Fantasy was insanely overbet as the "hype" horse. The winner was logical and Ramon had won 2 in a row on him, but went to Mr F because he'd made a commitment to him when he went to FLA to ride him in his return. If Ramon stays with Dr. W then Mr F would have been about 2-1 and Dr W about 5-1. The guy wins enough that he actually has an effect on the pools, and in NY that's saying something.

Mr. Fantasy would have gone from 2:5 to 2:1 with another rider? Come on.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #24
Linny

Maybe even. If Ramon hops off to stay with Assmussen, Dr. W would be far lower at the expense of Mr. F.

Everything he rides is overbet.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #25
MONEY

Quote:
Maybe even. If Ramon hops off to stay with Assmussen, Dr. W would be far lower at the expense of Mr. F.

In my opinion, Mr Fantasy was a bad favorite. It was his second race off of an eleven month layoff. I think that they are prepping him to win at a longer distance.
Anyway lets forget about Dominguez & Mr Fantasy.
The Tampa horses are already shipping out and winning. It's time to start making some money on an angle that works every year in late April & all of May.

money
Old 04-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #26
the little guy

Quote:

I don't disagree that he takes a lot of money, and often is overbet, but Mr. Fantasy lives on his own island, and has a reputation that in this case transcends Ramon. Plus, given he's a West Point horse he was already going to be overbet.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #27
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I don't disagree that he takes a lot of money, and often is overbet, but Mr. Fantasy lives on his own island, and has a reputation that in this case transcends Ramon. Plus, given he's a West Point horse he was already going to be overbet.
And being trained by Hushion winning at 40% didn't help the odds either.

Guys, c'mon...Dominguez is very talented. Every top rider is overbet, but the touch this guy displays is a gift. Of course being a top rider and being able to make money betting all the heavy chalk he rides is a different story, but that's gambling.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #28
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
And being trained by Hushion winning at 40% didn't help the odds either.

Guys, c'mon...Dominguez is very talented. Every top rider is overbet, but the touch this guy displays is a gift. Of course being a top rider and being able to make money betting all the heavy chalk he rides is a different story, but that's gambling.

Right, blaming a rider because he rode a short priced horse that lost, in and of itself, is preposterous. A rider may deserve blame, but the odds of his or her mounts are irrelevent. You might argue that taking unnecessary chances with short priced and likely winners is poor judgement but saying just because a short priced horse lost a rider is to blame is nonsensical.

The blame usually rests on us, the bettors, when we lose. The sooner any of us take that responsibility the better we will do going forward.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #29
Linny

Overbet horses lose every day. Mr F really needed to move up off his last race to win this race. It's not like the field was bad. The favorite had the trifecta of Hushion/WPT/Ramon and oddly enough, the winner was from Asmussen who was strangely underbet this past winter on the inner.

Because a good rider has "only" a 1-win day doesn't negate all the times he makes the right moves.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #30
kenwoodallpromos

This thread

This thread points up an example of conjecture vs. reality and facts in racing!