Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 03-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
DeanT

Tioga Downs Handicapping

Tioga handicapping discussion

Last edited by BillW-mod; 03-11-2010 at 10:42 PM.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
DeanT

I'm going to play this each day - advance betting exotics - so I am sure to supply some feed for the locals

I just have to see if I can find some free programs.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Not4Love
not4love

Advice

I have never played Tioga, but plan on it this year. Can anyone give some advice as far as the drivers and how the track usually plays? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
DeanT

I think Ray has some decent stats. I think he is going to post some when we get closer to the meet.

They have statsmaster for free there:

http://www.trackmaster.com/statsmaster/TGDN.html

I am just going through some of the stats. Whomever this driver Phil Fluet is, was a good bet last year with a 0% ROI (would be a positive ROI this year with reduced takeout). He also strikes with longshots a little bit. I have never see him drive, but it appears he has some talent, imo. Jimmy Marohn is a leader there, and he aint too bad when he goes to the M.

As for trainers, Mark Ford is there, and he (not surprisingly does well). Some other NYSS trainers have some good numbers there.

I dont see any stats on post positions, or favorite strike rates etc, but maybe I am just blind.

Ill find out what ADW's this will be on, where to find video, and see if we can get more stats.

I am kind of looking forward to playing it. When I have seen races in the past the racing was not too bad, and they have some decent stakes races, like the 200k Bettors Delight.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
turfnsport

They will have some useful links here:

http://www.tiogadowns.com/racinginfo.htm
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
mirror Image

Wasnt thier a driver at the Big M a few years ago
that had the last name Fluet ?
mirror Image is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
mirror Image

I see the takeout will be lower from 18% w-p-s, 20%
ex's and doubles and 25% all other exotics to 15% w-p-s
17% ex's and doubles, 21% all other exotics

They said they would even consider going lower on the
takeout rates to between 8% and 9% if the state would allow
mirror Image is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2010, 03:20 AM   #8
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirror Image
Wasnt thier a driver at the Big M a few years ago
that had the last name Fluet ?
Mirror, if my recollections still serve me, I believe his first name is/was Norman, and I believe he is/was just a trainer....Thru the years I have seen his name come up at YR, RR, Fhld, M1, MR and DD, and other east coast tracks...That is all I remember tho, and not even if recently, at that...

best,
Old 03-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

Tioga Downs 5/8 Mile track, 600' Stretch, No Lightning Lane, Direction East, First Trailing Post 10

I have 57 race days in 2009. (Sample size was too small to make my list before)

Post......PP1....PP2....PP3....PP4....PP5....PP6.. ..PP7....PP8....PP9
Starts...619....619....619....619....618....612... .541....410....240
Wins......86.....98.....88.....96.....93.....77... ..46.....22.....13
% Wins...14%....16%....14%....16%....15%....13%..... 9%.....5%.....5%

% Dev....7%.....19%.....9%....17%....14%.....-2%....-45%...-118%..-105%
ROI%...-34%....-12%...-29%...-34%...-18%....-28%....-46%...-75%...-67%

% Dev is difference between actual wins and expected wins from this post if no bias
(The number shown in TrackMaster Programs, under Post)

ROI% is based on always betting 2$ on this post.
Bret Harte
Ray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
melman

What was the daily average handle at Tioga last year? I plan on making that number go up. If there is a large enough increase in handle maybe Tioga mangement can force New York State to allow them to run there own business the way they want to. A novel idea.
melman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #11
Pacingguy

Norman Fluet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Mirror, if my recollections still serve me, I believe his first name is/was Norman, and I believe he is/was just a trainer....Thru the years I have seen his name come up at YR, RR, Fhld, M1, MR and DD, and other east coast tracks...That is all I remember tho, and not even if recently, at that...

best,
Norman used to drive but it has been many years.
Pacingguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by melman
What was the daily average handle at Tioga last year? I plan on making that number go up. If there is a large enough increase in handle maybe Tioga mangement can force New York State to allow them to run there own business the way they want to. A novel idea.
Not too high, but let's hope it is higher this year.

Mel, did you read Gural's comments along those lines? He seems to want slots tracks to be exempt from these "rules".

Quote:
Nevertheless, Gural said, “even though I’ve lost a lot of money, I still enjoy running Tioga Park.” And despite his losses, he remains an advocate of reducing the takeout. “If you’ve got slots,” he said, “the pari-mutuel revenues are a drop in the bucket. Why offer slots with an 8% takeout and then charge people 20% to bet on racing?”
Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
willphorse

Hey guys! Glad to hear you will all be playing Tioga this year! My home track, live 3 mins from the Racino. If you want ANY info, I got it... just ask away
willphorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
DeanT

Will,

What is the conditioned sheet like? A lot of claimers at which price/range? Mostly nw1 and 2 or what?

Just trying to get a grasp on the overall horse population.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
willphorse

Dean...

Last few years looks like NW1500, NW3001, $4000 Clm, NW1, NW2, Open, $7500 Clm.

Usually the card will consist of

Friday- 4 or 5 races of NW Conditional, 1 NW2, $7500 Clm, and the rest is whatever fills

Saturday- Many NW1, NW2, A few NW Conditional, Both Open (Trot and Pace), $4000 Clm, and NW1501L5

Sunday- 2 or 3 races of NW1-2, Open Handicap Pace, $4000 Clm, $7500 Clm, $10,000-$15,000 Clm, and 2 or 3 NW Conditional

Usually Opens will race Saturday, $4000 Clm or NW1500L5 will be last races on card, and usually a few NW1-NW2 and NW Conditional on Every card.

NYSS brings in some good horses/trainers, and usually Tompkins Greer Series comes into town late August.

Decent Purse's, and Great people at the track! Small hick-town usually gets a couple thousand attending, and sometimes A great deal of people when the bigger races come into town. The track offers a bunch of Family activities, and always treats the bettor with respect. Settlemoir is always trackside on the apron, which is unusual for any track!

The prices are sometimes short, as winners are sometimes obvious. Usually pace holds strong, and this is a big place for trip handicapping! Pocket trip/2nd Over have a high win %, and 1-2-5 Post Positions have owned the track for the past few years.

Decent Drivers, Jim Perry has always been in the running for Trainer title. Howard Parker has a BIG showing here, and is always at a short price regardless of the horse he is on. Jim Morrill wins atleast 5 races whenever he comes to town. Drivers Championship brings out thousands every year too! Its a great environment, and a good track to be able to wager on! Great news on the takeout Lowering! Hopefully some of those short priced winners will rise a little!
willphorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply