Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Old 08-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
jonnielu
Veteran

Not bad... But,

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball
I was just thinking about how our treasury is bare bones..
I think it is about time to look at fundraisers...
We are for the most part handicappers...How about a members only handicapping contest with a percentage of entry fees going into our treasury to fund necessary expenses. I know the officers went to Keeneland on their own dime to discuss our case with management...
How about a $40 entry fee? With a percentage going into the
HANA treasury....say 8 to 10 percent...payoffs to be spread
to allow for more people to get their money back.
Open to suggestions like weekly-monthly etc.
It would encourage membership growth and fund our efforts..
Winners could get their name recognized as best of the
best....Tell me what you think..

Stuball
How about one that offers something of high value to everyone involved. Something that would enable HANA to demonstrate to the racing industry that the march toward extinction can be reversed with a 180 in philosophy.

(The past and current philosophy being to sell $10 worth for $40 thru virtual monopoly on racing and information.)

Of course, any idea along this line would have to serve both the goals of HANA, and benefit/reward it and its members while at the same time demonstrating and affirming the core idea that all can win, by getting their money's worth. Here's how:

HANA buys a 70% interest in TrackSideEye, and takes it, along with its 1000 owners to Ellis Park in Henderson, Kentucky for the last ten days of its 2009 meet. I'll drive there, so that I can do the work from the track and supply you, the bossmen, service from the site.

Cost - $10 for each of 1000 majority owners.

Purpose - To demonstrate how sound information can enable anyone to win, and what 1000 winners can do for saving a racetrack from closing, and of course, the vital role that ordinary people (players) can have in the success or failure of an industry. (something that the already rich tend to forget.)

If HANA could build the ELP handle in this way, it would not only keep ELP from closing, and help Ron Geary make his track a player-focused track, it would create a demand for HANA to promote other tracks in this player-focused way. Either everybody wins, or everybody has an opportunity to learn to win. Everyone gets value for the dollar.

jdl
jonnielu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
kenwoodallpromos

Horseshoes

Since no one else seems to be doing it, have trainers/owners of graded stakes winners donate shoes to HANA (tax deduction?) to be auctioned off online, intitally a couple of the top horses (TC or BC winner) to be auctioned off only to HANA members to get the ball rolling at a dinner or whatever, make a press event when those shoes are presented, and then open it up to the public through EBAY etc.
If you can get MTB, RA, SB, etc so much the better. Retired, active, whatever.
You can contact some big owners and trainers at their website; at the track; through other contacts or through the tracks. I would line up some biggies and get the shoes prior to announcing through a HANA press release to the AP, Reuters, ESPN, etc; and the racing press.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnielu
H
HANA buys a 70% interest in TrackSideEye

jdl
If I buy another HANA T-Shirt, that should give HANA enough to buy 70%.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
jonnielu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfnsport
Of course, new ideas tend to replace the old ones that don't work anymore, so there are some that don't like new ideas.

jdl
Old 08-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
jonnielu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfnsport
Are you a HANA member?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
I was just thinking about how our treasury is bare bones..
I think it is about time to look at fundraisers...
We are for the most part handicappers...How about a members only handicapping contest with a percentage of entry fees going into our treasury to fund necessary expenses. ...
stuball,
An interesting idea, but it sure would be nice to find out what the money would actually be funding first.

Another possibility might be for HANA to acquire/create and maintain a members-only historical research database containing the previous five full years of conditions and performance data on every race run in North America that could be queried on-line for a reasonable monthly fee. This would seem to be something a not-for-profit entity could benefit from without stepping on anyone's toes. If it could include Trackus data, so much the better.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
highnote

Quote:
HANA buys a 70% interest in TrackSideEye
Interesting idea. How much will a 70% share cost? And what does a 70% share represent? What is the benefit to HANA?
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 02:38 AM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
HANA buys a 70% interest in TrackSideEye, and takes it, along with its 1000 owners to Ellis Park in Henderson, Kentucky for the last ten days of its 2009 meet. I'll drive there, so that I can do the work from the track and supply you, the bossmen, service from the site.

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, scream, or simply ban....
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
highnote

Quote:
HANA buys a 70% interest in TrackSideEye,

I assume this is the site for track side eye --

http://horseplayeru.com/tracksideeye.htm

Now, do you want the 1000 members to pay $10 each for the service for the ELP meet? -- or does $10 from 1000 members represent the payment for a 70% ownership in tracksideeye?
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
jonnielu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetyejohn
I assume this is the site for track side eye --

http://horseplayeru.com/tracksideeye.htm

Now, do you want the 1000 members to pay $10 each for the service for the ELP meet? -- or does $10 from 1000 members represent the payment for a 70% ownership in tracksideeye?
That is correct, John. There is also a link on that page to most of the Tweets going back to June across 4 different tracks. Give me an email address and I'll send you the business plan, and a page of examples that were done live.

10 X 1000 for 70% ownership. Incorporation, can handle the split well. That initial purchase takes care of what we will do at ELP for its last 10 days, and also establish the value in what TrackSideEye can do for both horseplayers, and racing.

That value will be the power to promote horse racing as a sport, build handle, and show all how to win at this game. Whether management likes it or not.

So, it is $10 per man to see if in the next three weekends 1001 horseplayers can influence the game to the extent that Ron Geary will apply for dates and plan a solid meeting for 2010, without slots.

If so, then it is off to the races for horseplayer influence on every aspect of the game, and HANA owns a very powerful information source.

jdl
Old 08-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
jonnielu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I don't know whether to laugh, cry, scream, or simply ban....
I'd vote for sitting tight with a ham sandwich and a beer in the tent. Birth can be painful, but, if a positive influence on racing is being born, it would be worth it.

I doubt that you have come this far thinking that I offer nothing of value.

jdl
Old 08-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
stuball

Why do I get the feeling that my original thread was hijacked by someone promoting a product? Also he is asking for $10 from each member of HANA on like what 1 days notice-- impossible to pull off.

Things like this do not move quickly nor should they..

Stuball
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Why do I get the feeling that my original thread was hijacked by someone promoting a product?
Stuball
Not an uncommon event
Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
stuball,
An interesting idea, but it sure would be nice to find out what the money would actually be funding first.
(I'm not speaking for HANA here, the below is my opinion only.)
I think this is a very valid question, and one that I have asked and had answered to my satisfaction. I don't have the notes I took here with me as I'm in the office, but if you work out the costs to attend just one convention, you'll be surprised how quickly it adds up. You have entry fees(in order to get a booth), travel expenses(flight, hotel, meals, etc.), marketing materials(brochures, banner, etc.), and the list goes on. You could easily spend 10K to send 2 people to 1 convention.

I think HANA is at the stage right now where one of the top priorities is to build a larger membership in order to have a louder voice(or wield a bigger sword as some would put it). That means that marketing is key. Here is one example of the costs associated with marketing to a large portion of the population.

http://www.drf.com/about/about_ad_rates.html Look at those prices! If you want to reach a lot of the folks that are at the track every day, drf is the way to do it, but that's not chump change.
Charli125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
jonnielu
Veteran

Quote:
Why do I get the feeling that my original thread was hijacked by someone promoting a product? Also he is asking for $10 from each member of HANA on like what 1 days notice-- impossible to pull off.

Things like this do not move quickly nor should they..

Stuball
Nothing is impossible. Is it not a good idea for horseplayers to save Ellis Park?

What can I do to get you past your suspicions?

If I were trying to pull something off on someone, would I be doing it right here in front of everyone.

jdl

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: