Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: Do you support Jess Jacksons decision to not run RA in the BC?
Poll Options
Do you support Jess Jacksons decision to not run RA in the BC?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Bobzilla

Do You Support Jess Jackson's Decision To Not Run RA In BC?

Yesterday during a national teleconference Rachel Alexandra's majority owner Jess Jackson announced that his 3yo filly would not be participating in this year's Breeders' Cup. Jackson expressed his belief that many horses who have been able to attain a high level of performance on conventional dirt will often times struggle with what he referred to as the "plastic surfaces". Jackson went on to say he did not feel that this year's participation was "essential" if he were to bring RA back for a 4yo campaign, a plan of action the owner is considering. The BC is still a little over four months away and much can happen between now and then which might make yesterday's announcement a non-issue come the fall. We still have races like the Mother Goose and Travers to run in the interim so I realize that to some this poll might seem premature, but seeing that the announcement was just yesterday I was curious of the thoughts that some may have.

Obviously it would be expected that the response to yesterday's announcement from the greater racing community to be one of disappointment, especially given the likelihood that this would have been the best opportunity to see RA and last year's champion Zenyatta in the same race. Though I'm personally not as anamored with these great potential 2 horse showdowns, that rarely ever materialize these days anyways, as most are I can't deny the excitement the antcipation brings to many race fans and players.

As for Jackson's announcement, I think some, though disappointed, will understand the decision and will cite that last year Jackson capitulated to a bullying campaign from industry leaders and ran Curlin in the BC Classic, against his better judgement, instead of the original plan of running him in Japan. A victory in Japan would have represented a year's campaign with G1 wins on three different continents. People in this group will probably be of the opinion that for a horse to perform up to their A1 game against the best the world has to offer, such as Raven's Pass and Henrythenavigator, then they had best be running on their preferred surface.

Others, I believe, will feel Jackson is ducking a showdown with Zenyatta to stave off any further embarrasment and to ensure that the reputation of his brilliant filly be preserved. Some will remember the initial reaction to Curlin's loss last year, a reaction that some saw as sour grapes. This group will most likely be of the opinion that a very good animal can take their A1 game from one surface over to another and to suggest otherwise is simply a convenient excuse.

Board member Point Given opened a thread about this yesterday and I was surprised there weren't more responses, especially given the hatred many have for Jess Jackson. I hope PG doesn't mind but I was curious to see the results of a poll on this one.

Last edited by Bobzilla; 06-25-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
andymays
Veteran

The Santa Anita surface is much closer to turf than anything else. Runners with a running style that places them on or near the lead have a much tougher time winning over the Pro Ride (Hocus Pocus Junk in my opinion). This surface produced nearly 50% carryovers because it is inconsistent at best. The European turf runners will do well again over the main track at Santa Anita.

Although I think Jackson is a little flaky I agree with his decision. I also think Jackson may change his mind as the Breeders Cup gets closer. He seems to have a need to be in the limelight.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobzilla
As for Jackson's announcement, I think some, though disappointed, will understand the decision and will cite that last year Jackson capitulated to a bullying campaign from industry leaders and ran Curlin in the BC Classic, against his better judgement, instead of the original plan of running him in Japan. A victory in Japan would have represented a year's campaign with G1 wins on three different continents.
I would have preferred to see Curlin go to Japan as well and I fully support any owner who feels that their horse is at a disadvantage on the Poly. After all, it is his horse.

Just one small thing though. Dubai is in Asia. Not what we generally think of as Asia, but Asia all the same. Thus he would have had wins on only 2 continents.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
Bobzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
I would have preferred to see Curlin go to Japan as well and I fully support any owner who feels that their horse is at a disadvantage on the Poly. After all, it is his horse.

Just one small thing though. Dubai is in Asia. Not what we generally think of as Asia, but Asia all the same. Thus he would have had wins on only 2 continents.

You're right, my bad about the three continents. Ironically I consider myself a geography wiz too. Should have had that second cup of coffee.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
MONEY

Here's my two cents.
I believe that Rachel Alexandra already ran the best race the she will ever run in the Preakness. So if Jess Jackson wants her to remain undefeated this year he will have to pick her races carefully. Also, many of the top males are getting bigger and faster, so running her against the top colts is probably not an option. And of course if I had a filly and was looking for an unfeated year I would not run her against Zenyatta.

money
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Stevie Belmont

Absolutely. I do agree with his call not to run her. The surface is not dirt, it's man made and there is absolutely nothing to gain by running her on it. Nothing. She is a monster on dirt, and that surface is a fake surface. Everyone is quick to rip Jess, maybe they should take a closer look at why the BC is being run back to back years over a synthetic surface. Two consecutive years in a row some of the best horses in the states will be deprived an opportunity to be their best and/or take part in racings richest day, because of the surface.

What about Fabulous Strike, one of the fastest sprinters in the States? They will skip the BC as well because of that surface. Wait a second, what’s the point of running the BC of the best of the best won’t even show up? Don't blame the connections, blame the plastic.

It’s time California finally starts to think about going back to dirt.

Last edited by Stevie Belmont; 06-25-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Stevie Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
DanG
Easy Goer

Imo:

• It’s not about the surface as much as the impact of Curlin’s BC result who he mistakenly thought of as invincible at 10f.
• He has a trainer who has performed terribly over the surface (in general) that has clearly shaped his thinking.
• It’s ironic that he contemplated taking heavy bodied Curlin to the Arc (with ZERO chance btw) and yet denies Rachel (and our sport) the BC when she has run brilliantly over Keenelands more severe surface. (2yo, 6f 1:09 and change)
• The shame of it is a Rachel / Zenyatta showdown would be more compelling then anything the males could deliver on Saturday.

I know; I’m a heretic who should be burned at a synthetic stake.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG
Imo:

• It’s not about the surface as much as the impact of Curlin’s BC result who he mistakenly thought of as invincible at 10f.
• He has a trainer who has performed terribly over the surface (in general) that has clearly shaped his thinking.
• It’s ironic that he contemplated taking heavy bodied Curlin to the Arc (with ZERO chance btw) and yet denies Rachel (and our sport) the BC when she has run brilliantly over Keenelands more severe surface. (2yo, 6f 1:09 and change)
• The shame of it is a Rachel / Zenyatta showdown would be more compelling then anything the males could deliver on Saturday.

Sharp as usual Danny!

I have always thought that it will take the breeders to kick the ass of owners who choose to skip Poly. With so many tracks changed, and seeing some sort of surface like poly will be here for a long time, they will want studs and mares which can excel on both dirt and fake dirt as a selling point. I think people like Jackson will be penalized for these decisions in the future.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
sandpit

Jackson bought Rachel Alexandra for two reasons:

1. So she can be his latest spokesmodel for whatever cause he is promoting or railing against.

2. To try and breed a superhorse when he mates her with Curlin.

IMO, when it comes to the matchup between Rachel and Zenyatta, the majority of racing fans don't care what the surface is, they just want to see it happen. If he is worried about SA's track, take her out there and train her over it, then make a decision. It didn't seem to bother him that she showed a dislike for Pimlico. What if she hates Belmont this weekend? Does that mean dirt races are out too? I don't mind that he skips the BC, to be honest; but I find it terribly shortsighted to dismiss it out of hand. Reminds me of a politician that always votes the party line.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
Grits

Why should all of the onerous be on Jackson & Co?

If both gentleman were the sportsmen they claim to be--Zenyatta and Rachael WOULD BE SOMEWHERE loading into a starting gate in North America no? If both were more concerned about horseracing, about its fans, etc. than their race records, they would see that this event takes place.

As far as the past, I believe Mr.Jackson has the edge over Mr.Moss. Maybe they will work together in coming months. It truly would be a sight to see, one we could all celebrate.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
onefast99

Two years in a row at the same track is idiotic to say the least. There are many tracks that can have the Breeders Cup which are not synthetic and would put on a great show for the fans, tops on my list is Belmont Park, I would also like to see Monmouth park get the BC back again, the facility looks great this year!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
Bobzilla

Quote:
Imo:

You're not a heretic, Dan. I always enjoy reading what you have to say whether I agree or not. Some good points, too. I sense that part of Jackson's decision might be from bitterness over how things went down with Curlin last year. Ironically he sent Curlin, who may or may not have been compromised by the pro-ride (I tend to believe he was but who really knows for sure), and will not send RA who is proven over the heavier Polytrack variety. My impression has been that Medaglia D'Oros have a higher tolerance for the all-weather. The only thing I would wonder about is if she could perform at her A1 level in a G1 on the surface against the best of North America and Europe. I can't remember who she ran against last fall at Keeneland in her preliminary Allowance win, maybe some future stakes fillies, don't know. I think it's possible to perform respectably on an unpreferred surface if the competition is relatively weaker.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
fmolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Why should all of the onerous be on Jackson & Co?

If both gentleman were the sportsmen they claim to be--Zenyatta and Rachael WOULD BE SOMEWHERE loading into a starting gate in North America no? If both were more concerned about horseracing, about its fans, etc. than their race records, they would see that this event takes place.

As far as the past, I believe Mr.Jackson has the edge over Mr.Moss. Maybe they will work together in coming months. It truly would be a sight to see, one we could all celebrate.
as a handicapper and gambler i could care less what he does and do not care if he races zenyatta!one will be 6/5 the other even money!....as a racing fan i am glad someone prominent in the sport is speaking out against this "plastic track"
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Cadillakin

Quote:
Imo:

Yes to all your points, particularly your point about Keeneland. A handicapper of any merit would likely make the observation that a win over the tough Keeneland surface bodes well for handling the less severe ProRide.. just as you did.

We all know, and even the most devout Curlin supporters will have to admit.. that Curlin's ability or inability over any particular surface has nothing whatsoever to do with Rachel Alexander..

I've been around this game since I was a teenager.. I've heard excuses that seem valid and excuses that seemed foolish.. IMO, this tactic is just a feeble attempt by Jackson to exact some kind of retribution at the track (or track surface) that he says defeated his beloved Curlin..

Last edited by Cadillakin; 06-25-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Cadillakin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobzilla
My impression has been that Medaglia D'Oros have a higher tolerance for the all-weather. The only thing I would wonder about is if she could perform at her A1 level in a G1 on the surface against the best of North America and Europe. I can't remember who she ran against last fall at Keeneland in her preliminary Allowance win, maybe some future stakes fillies, don't know. I think it's possible to perform respectably on an unpreferred surface if the competition is relatively weaker.
Fair points BZ:

The one thing I think most can agree on regardless of ones BC feelings…(assuming both are healthy); what a collective void will be left if she never faces Zenyatta.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply