Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 06-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
DrewClear

Handicapping Books

Does anyone recommand a good RECENT (2005+) handicapping book? (Something YOU have read)
Thanks
DrewClear is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
boomman

Handicapping Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewClear
Does anyone recommand a good RECENT (2005+) handicapping book? (Something YOU have read)
Thanks
If you will forgive my shameless plug, I have written one handicapping book and one wagering guide during the time period you mentioned.........Feel free to check 'em out, and if you do let me know what you think.............

Boomer
Old 06-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Are you familar with the section titled, "Handicapping Library"?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Charlie D

Take a look here

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...t=56926&page=1

all the best

Last edited by Charlie D; 06-15-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
point given

Steve Davidowitz wrote a very good overall book. Do an author search on amazon to find it.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 AM   #6
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

I think he's looking for something more recent.

Just looking at what's been published since 2005 on Amazon. Here's the ones I have read and thought weren't total wastes of money:

(From newest publication date to oldest)

Extreme Pace Handicapping -- Randy Giles (some interesting thoughts on pace)
Expert Handicapping, Revised Edition -- Dave Litfin (the original was ok, I don't know what's new in the revised edition)
Exotic Betting -- Steve Crist (some good wagering advice)

Wow, not much since 2005. I'll be in Vegas tomorrow and undoubtedly will make it over to the Gambler's Book Store. If I find anything interesting, I'll let you know. Hope this helps.
CBedo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
lsosa54

PA forum member Niko's book may spur some thought and different ideas:

Winning Moves: How To Win At Horse Racing (Paperback)

It's available on Amazon.

I'd also recommend some of Rod Young's publications at his Turfdom website. He's been around for at least 20 years and besides specialized jockey and trainer data, provides material with some good overall logical approaches, written in 2005 and later.

Since he's not an advertiser here, I'm not sure I can post a link but just PM me if you can't Google it.

Last edited by lsosa54; 06-16-2009 at 08:09 AM.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
Maumeeriverangler

You can get Handicapping Books at the library.
Maumeeriverangler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
DrewClear

Sorry Mr. Bauer, I was familiar with the section, but as I was reading the other section it reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend. Without thinking, I posted in the wrong section. My apologies and thank you for moving the post.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will check out the ones I am not familiar with.

CBedo's comment is the exact conversation with my friend. Not much as far as EXPERT writtings in past few years.
Are we losing the experts' interest or not much market for them to share their knowledge?
Thanks again.
DrewClear is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
jonnielu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewClear
Sorry Mr. Bauer, I was familiar with the section, but as I was reading the other section it reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend. Without thinking, I posted in the wrong section. My apologies and thank you for moving the post.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will check out the ones I am not familiar with.

CBedo's comment is the exact conversation with my friend. Not much as far as EXPERT writtings in past few years.
Are we losing the experts' interest or not much market for them to share their knowledge?
Thanks again.
The only thing that is a reasonably recent discovery is the limitations of past performance handicapping, and the racing information industry doesn't want to talk much about that.

jdl
jonnielu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomman
If you will forgive my shameless plug, I have written one handicapping book and one wagering guide during the time period you mentioned.........Feel free to check 'em out, and if you do let me know what you think.............

Boomer
Hey Boomer, I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or something like it, but I just went to your "university site" and wanted to peruse your offerings, and when clicking on and opening the "terms of service" portion of the site, my Anti-virus (Avast) program warned me of two "virus's that had been detected....

I don't know if they were contained or contracted from your site, but that is when they were detected....Haven't had any other alerts since then....( today 6/16/09)(@13:12 EST)

Perhaps you have been hacked ?.....

best,
Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
RaceBookJoe

"Bet with the Best 2 Longshots" is in that time frame. A pretty decent read on close to a dozen different thoughts. rbj
RaceBookJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnielu
The only thing that is a reasonably recent discovery is the limitations of past performance handicapping, and the racing information industry doesn't want to talk much about that.

jdl
Where did you disappear to?

Are you implying there is some sort of conspiracy...man, you're talking about the wrong industry if you think they can successfully collude like that...hell, they can't even stop people from betting after the bell...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #14
boomman

Angry Potential virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Hey Boomer, I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or something like it, but I just went to your "university site" and wanted to peruse your offerings, and when clicking on and opening the "terms of service" portion of the site, my Anti-virus (Avast) program warned me of two "virus's that had been detected....

I don't know if they were contained or contracted from your site, but that is when they were detected....Haven't had any other alerts since then....( today 6/16/09)(@13:12 EST)

Perhaps you have been hacked ?.....

best,
Thanks for the heads-up and will have my webmaster check it out immediately!

Boomer
Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
jonnielu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Where did you disappear to?

Are you implying there is some sort of conspiracy...man, you're talking about the wrong industry if you think they can successfully collude like that...hell, they can't even stop people from betting after the bell...
Well Mike, I haven't disappeared to anywhere, I just haven't been appearing here. My ratings are no longer on the market, and I am not on the same page as many here, so there hasn't been much to pound the keyboard about.

Beside that, I have been busy assisting my fellow Citizens in their quest for income tax freedom, since so many don't know how to lawfully revolt.

Why, did you miss me?

I'm not implying that things are as they are due to some sort of conspiracy, but I am offering that the racing information business is steered by market forces. It would be anyone's guess as to whether or not there are hands on the wheel.

Also, publishing has undergone some changes, and I'm sure that has something to do with the lack of recent offerings in handicapping books.

Reality offers little to write about anyway.

jdl
jonnielu is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: