Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Cangamble
Agitator

Simon Husbands Ruling Overturned:Woodbine Stewards Humiliated

My favorite part of the ruling:

Public participation in an Internet Racing blog site where gratuitous opinions abound. This blog evidence was sparingly introduced, it being recognized that the evidentiary use was limited. The relevance was to demonstrate the existence of controversy, pro and con. That evidence was not introduced for the truth or reliability of its content. In passing, it is noted that irresponsible blog participation dealing in misinformation, innuendo and lack of informed opinion has an immense capacity to inflict irreparable harm on individuals and upon racing itself. An uninformed opinion is probably expressed more for the benefit of the declarer than for the reader, if there be one.
This wasn't pertaining to my blog btw. But can anyone believe the stupidity of the ORC to put this in?
Three ex jockeys (the stewards) shared the same opinion of the readers and commenters of the blog and threw the book at Simon Husbands. I guess they had an uninformed opinion too.

Read the whole ruling here:
http://www.ontarioracingcommission.c...DS%20Simon.pdf
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
The Hawk

Which blog were they referring to?
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
fmolf

husbands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangamble
My favorite part of the ruling:

Public participation in an Internet Racing blog site where gratuitous opinions abound. This blog evidence was sparingly introduced, it being recognized that the evidentiary use was limited. The relevance was to demonstrate the existence of controversy, pro and con. That evidence was not introduced for the truth or reliability of its content. In passing, it is noted that irresponsible blog participation dealing in misinformation, innuendo and lack of informed opinion has an immense capacity to inflict irreparable harm on individuals and upon racing itself. An uninformed opinion is probably expressed more for the benefit of the declarer than for the reader, if there be one.
This wasn't pertaining to my blog btw. But can anyone believe the stupidity of the ORC to put this in?
Three ex jockeys (the stewards) shared the same opinion of the readers and commenters of the blog and threw the book at Simon Husbands. I guess they had an uninformed opinion too.

Read the whole ruling here:
http://www.ontarioracingcommission.c...DS%20Simon.pdf
his trainer backed up his story before the stewards
fmolf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk
Which blog were they referring to?
Jen's thoroughblog.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmolf
If a trainer tells a jockey to go wide into the first turn, and save him for next time because he'll be going a distance, should the jockey listen to the trainer?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Imriledup

If you watch that replay, its pretty obvious that he didn't give full effort to win. the whip excuse doesn't fly imo because the hand ride was anything but aggreessive.

i don't understand why this ruling was thrown out.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmolf
What story? The video shows he didn't try to win, what the participants say doesn't mean much if the rider is strangling the horse and not urging.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriledup
If you watch that replay, its pretty obvious that he didn't give full effort to win. the whip excuse doesn't fly imo because the hand ride was anything but aggreessive.

i don't understand why this ruling was thrown out.
[YT=Simon Husbands Suspension?]R5dpfoTLRNA[/YT]
Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Onion Monster

So, they not only overturn the ruling but also disparage the internet discussion as an exercise in self-aggrandizing gossip? I want this jock's lawyer.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #10
Imriledup

Here's the problem i have with this entire situation.

If the jockey wasn't going to use the whip, that has to be announced to the public that the jockey will carry a whip but it won't be used. If no announcement like this is made and the rider is carrying a whip, the fans are to assume the whip will be used. I remember seeing one time in the past a horse who ran with 'no whip' and that is listed in the program. In this case, i think the jock just had the whip incase he needed it for an emergency or something like that. If you don't plan on using the whip,the fans have to know this.

Also, all whip talk aside, why was the hand ride so weak and passive late in the lane? That weak hand ride has nothing to do with whipping or not whipping...where was the aggressive hand urge? I didn't see one.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
Horseplayersbet.com

Simon Husbands sues Ontario Racing Commission

Over suspension:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/horser...ver-suspension

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
boomman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriledup
Here's the problem i have with this entire situation.

If the jockey wasn't going to use the whip, that has to be announced to the public that the jockey will carry a whip but it won't be used. If no announcement like this is made and the rider is carrying a whip, the fans are to assume the whip will be used. I remember seeing one time in the past a horse who ran with 'no whip' and that is listed in the program. In this case, i think the jock just had the whip incase he needed it for an emergency or something like that. If you don't plan on using the whip,the fans have to know this.

Also, all whip talk aside, why was the hand ride so weak and passive late in the lane? That weak hand ride has nothing to do with whipping or not whipping...where was the aggressive hand urge? I didn't see one.
Sharp Post!

Boomer
Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomman
Sharp Post!

Boomer
Thank you Boomer.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Hanover1

However you want to slice this debacle, the ORC created this mess and must pony up imo. The betting public was not made aware that no stick was to be applied, as no rules were in place to inform them. The fact that they then turn around and withdraw the ban further fouls the air.....Request a certified check Mr Husbands........
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
Horseplayersbet.com

Husbands is going to have to prove he lost business and his reputation got tarnished because of the suspension.

Curious. What was Husbands record in 2008 vs. 2009? I believe he started late, not because of the suspension, but because of weight I think, and he also was involved in an accident in the early half of the year (not sure how much time he missed).

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply