Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 07-09-2001, 08:59 PM   #1
ridersup

With Churchill Downs ending their meet I am currently between tracks so I thought Id take this opportunity to look at some software. Since BRIS is giving away 5 free downloads of Multicaps this month I thought I would take them up on their offer.

Loading the software and downloading the races was easy enough but after looking at the many screens and setting forth many, many handicapping factors, I felt more confused than enlightned.

Anyone out there ever use this software and if so do you have any plan for attacking all the data?

Im sure that even if I learn to analyze this data I will still feel naked without my trusty past performance lines
, and accompanying trainer, jockey, and pedigree info.

Reading the instructions they indicate that PP lines may be generated with multicaps data files using BRIS's PP Generator to view and print Premium Past Performance files. It seems to me that I recall some harsh works spoken about the generator but I could be mistaken, It might have been the DRF formulator. Anyone have any experience with generator and is it worth downloading?

Ridersup

Old 07-09-2001, 09:14 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Talking Generator

I have both BRIS's Generator and the TSN version of the program.
Both are few and well worth the money ~G~
Serriously, yes, both are good programs for printing out
PP's. Generator sometimes freezes up, but I blame Bill Gates more for that than BRIS (that worm of man!).
I like the condensed versions, one page per race, just basic PP info with no frills, but neat to just look at the race and look for figure patterns.
Multiaps is ok, but it's modeling program really stinks-like it models every single type of race-breaking up $3,000 claimers and $3,200 claimers as two seperate catagories. I used it solid for a month earlier this year, and never had more than 2-3 races in any model class.
No help at all. I customized the print out so I only looked a couple of screens that interested me.
But, hey, it is free.
Tom

Last edited by Tom; 07-09-2001 at 09:16 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2001, 11:30 PM   #3
hdcper
JCapper Enthusiast

multicaps

Hi Ridersup,

Used multicaps for almost 4 years, but have not used it in over a year. Hopefully you realize there is also a Dos version of the program which I believe can still be downloaded from Bris's site.

Although the new windows version generates better quality reports, I liked the Dos version better (some differences). Also found that the windows version did not automatically select pace lines exactly like the Dos version (which in my testing and opinion results in the new version not picking pace lines correctly at times). However, both allow you to select your own pace lines which maybe what you want to do anyway.

Agree with Tom regarding the modeling and PP generater at times locking up, but past performances should meet your needs (but realize the jockey, trainer and sire data is not as good as the ultimate past performances). Think you need to experiment with what screens work for your way of handicapping and you will definitely need more than 5 downloads to get a true feel for the program.

By becoming a silver club member, each track's daily download files run only $2 rather than $5 and recommend you do that if you want to spend anytime testing the program.

In my opinion, this is a good program. But like any software, has a learning curve and may or may not work for your method of handicapping.

Good luck,

hdcper
hdcper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2001, 08:06 AM   #4
ridersup

Tom and Hdcpr

As always thanks for the imput guys. Great thing about this board, if you have a question, someones been there and done that.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:48 PM   #5
Butch
Apprentice

Multicaps

I used Multicaps for about three years before moving on to other software. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best of the proprietary software offered by BRIS/TSN.

The amount of information Multicaps offers is overwhelming. I'll give you a few hints on what to do:

1) Use the DOS version. It's more versatile and runs faster. It gives you more options for paceline selection.

2) Don't even try to use all the information Multicaps offers. John Marrone (the author) included every rating and factor under the sun so that anything a person might want would be there. Pick and choose what works for you.

3) Use the modelling function. Multicaps models most of its ratings and does so for straight betting and exotics.

4) Call BRIS and ask to speak to John Marrone. He'll be happy to answer any of your questions and give you pointers on how to use the program.

Butch
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2001, 09:53 AM   #6
andicap

Is John still living in Las Vegas or did he move to Ky?
I was one of the initial users of that program and liked it a lot. John's a nice guy.

I went away from it because he was using par times that I thought were faulty (before BRIS) and I don't believe in modeling unless you choose every paceline yourself.

Old 07-12-2001, 11:59 AM   #7
Dave Schwartz

Andicap,

John is working at BRIS so a commute from Las Vegas would be tough. <G>

He is such a fine honorable man. Very likeable. I recently made contact with him again and look forward to speaking with him every week or two.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2001, 10:23 PM   #8
MikeH

I used Multicaps (DOS) several years ago and recently used the Windows version for several months. They're both excellent pieces of software. I'm in agreement with several of the posters that the DOS version may be better, but I would recommend that you install both, then go into the Windows version, find the options screen that controls which reports PRINT, check all of them to print, and look at each one to see what is there. There must be 15 - 20 reports in the Windows version.

As far as PP Generator goes, I think that it is a dynamic tool to use with any of the BRIS software packages. I use HTRF now, but a Multicaps, Allways, or HTRF report side by side with the Form that PP Generator prints is a potent combination. You can get a real good feel for the quality of the data in the reports. It's written in Microsoft's FoxPro, which, like all good Microsoft products, tends to cause your computer to freeze occasionally. Just don't load PP Generator when you are 2 minutes away from making a bet on Winticket or any of the other on-line services.

The Form program that you have heard people having problems with is the DRF's "Formulator."
MikeH is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
jmilesmba

Multicaps "user manual"

I've searched the web over and cannot find a user manual anywhere. Multicaps is an older program based on Sartin Methodolgy but the pace data yielded is just as valid today as it was twenty-five years ago.

However, there are many features and explanations that can only be found in a "user manual" - so does anybody know where to find it? Brisnet is of no help and they told me the "help" function is no longer supported on Windows 10.

Thanks,
John Miles
jmilesmba@sbcglobal.net
jmilesmba is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilesmba View Post
I've searched the web over and cannot find a user manual anywhere. Multicaps is an older program based on Sartin Methodolgy but the pace data yielded is just as valid today as it was twenty-five years ago.

However, there are many features and explanations that can only be found in a "user manual" - so does anybody know where to find it? Brisnet is of no help and they told me the "help" function is no longer supported on Windows 10.

Thanks,
John Miles
jmilesmba@sbcglobal.net
I don't recall ever seeing a manual for Multicaps.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #11
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilesmba View Post
Multicaps is an older program based on Sartin Methodolgy but the pace data yielded is just as valid today as it was twenty-five years ago.
I would think that RDSS would be the way to go now if you want to stick with that methodology.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Wow!
ridersup.

THIS thread is what got he and I collaborating on a Tampa Bay project. Fond memories.
BUT, user manual - is in the program in the help files.

Many, many screens of explanation in there.

In fact, you don't need to open the program.
Go to your MC2000 folder and find Multicaps.hlp file and double click on it - it will open and you can go to Index and find everything about the program,

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Tom; 08-24-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #13
zerosky

The wayback machine has it archived, but as Tom said the manual resides in the program.

http://web.archive.org/web/200005190.../multidos.html

Just click on the link for the manual
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: