Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 10-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Tom Barrister
Veteran

Review of "Winning Moves"

This book is available from The PA user "Niko", who is an authorized advertiser here. You can find it at:

http://www.winmoneybetting.com/Horseracingcourse.html

Without getting into a lot of detail, the book presents some interesting points of view. While nothing in the Catalysts (essentially, trainer-based, with a few horse-based factors) section is earth-shaking or new, it's presented intelligently, and the combination of catalysts makes good sense.

Several example races are laid out, with great detail as to how to go about using the catalysts. Then pace-shapes are introduced; again nothing novel, but they're tied into the rest of the methodology. More example races follow. A short section about record-keeping and money management follows, and the author has some interesting views.

Next is a chapter about using a computer program. The author at one point had a computer program for sale; while it's still on his site, correspondence with him suggests that the program may no longer be for sale, and frankly, I'm not sure the Catalysts, which are somewhat judgement-based, can be quantified correctly.

To me, the remainder of the book is a key selling point. In different chapters, the author talks about betting stratgies, a return to money management, a discussion about "Why people lose", and some generalized discussion about handicapping. Some condensed stakes race examples follows. A couple of "Bonus articles" are tacked onto the end which present some unique views.

While I don't agree with everything the author has to say, his views are valid or at least reasonable. I cannot imagine a single handicapper out there, including long-time professionals, who won't find something in this book that will help them, and most of us will find several things of interest: ideas we hadn't thought of, ideas that we never really thought through that make sense once we see them, different perspectives on things, etc. Something, or several somethings, will be of use to most if not all who read this book.

While this probably isn't a standalone method to riches, it does contain useful material for all. Those looking for a magic Black Box Yum Yum Tree won't find it here (or anywhere else, for that matter). However, I highly recommend "Winning Moves" to anybody who feels that if they learn something important from a book, it's worth what was paid for it.
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
lsosa54

The "cart" on the link you provided appears to be working. Niko, can you let us know if you prefer us to go through Amazon and also the status of the software's availability. Thanks.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I am sure he would rather you do not go through Amazon.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
lsosa54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I am sure he would rather you do not go through Amazon.
Reason I asked is because this is what he has on his site, even though his "cart" appears to be working:

PLEASE VISIT AMAZON.COM TO ORDER YOUR COPY OF; WINNING MOVES-HOW TO WIN AT HORSE RACING

Amazon has it for $30 plus free shipping and the cart I think for $37 and change (don't know about shipping), however I would consider buying it directly and paying the higher price if he was getting a significantly higher cut, since he did the work.

I also don't know if his website just sells the "e book" or the hard copy - really doesn't specify. I'd rather have the hard copy.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Tom Barrister
Veteran

According to Niko/Prentice, the hardcover book has more content than the E-Book.
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I believe the hardcover is only through Amazon. I bought both - good reads.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Niko

It's easier if you just go through Amazon. If you do their Super Saver it's free shipping, so the total cost is $30.

With the way the publisher has it laid out and the discount Amazon is offering off the list price with free shipping, I don't make much more if I sell it myself and it's more of a hassle because of the time it takes to get books from the publisher etc...

As for the software program...after speaking with a few people I've decided not to pursue that part of it. It was done more for support for people who wanted it. I use it as a starting point for speed/pace raings and a couple catalysts, but I have a Filemaker database report which is my primary tool. If you buy the book and decide you really want the program I can make it available with one caveat;

The program is what it is and you won't get support (other than making sure it's up and running on your computer).

The more people that use the program, the more the edge goes down. It's not black/box and the feedback is 50/50 right now with people using it.

I'm only at 43 copies (for those that think it's a real mony maker) so I'm working on more ways to get it advertised.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
lsosa54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko
It's easier if you just go through Amazon. If you do their Super Saver it's free shipping, so the total cost is $30.

Now, this is interesting, the Amazon price has been changed to $37.94 and the "/" mark and the discounted price of $30 has disappeared.

I guess I shouldn't have said anything. Stuff like that really ticks me off. Either discount it or don't but let's not play games.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Niko

I'll have to look into it-if I can. I guess I haven't sold enough to keep the discounted price?

I do have some soft cover copies from the publisher so you can order through me if you'd like, but it's still easier through Amazon and they give you free shipping. Might help to get the discounted price back-which sucks for those that buy at the higher price.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
lsosa54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko
I'll have to look into it-if I can. I guess I haven't sold enough to keep the discounted price?

I do have some soft cover copies from the publisher so you can order through me if you'd like, but it's still easier through Amazon and they give you free shipping. Might help to get the discounted price back-which sucks for those that buy at the higher price.
Niko: This was a direct quote from Amazon when I contacted their customer service:

Quote:
We rely on the data provided to us by our suppliers for any updates on the web site. Unfortunately, no matter how frequently we update the web site, we can only make the changes if our suppliers have made them known.
The price went up very shortly after I made my post here. So, if you didn't contact them on it, then your publisher may have seen my post and alerted Amazon - no clue.

Let's just let it go. It's not the $7 - it's just the principle.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
scgmhawk

I purchased the book from Amazon and it was a soft-cover, by the way. In any event, I second Tom's feedback. Definitely a worthwhile read. Thanks, Niko.
scgmhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #12
lsosa54

Well, based on all the solid feedback, I went to order the book this morning and lo and behold, the discount is back up and the price with free shipping is $30. I'm not even going to venture a guess as to why but I look forward to the read.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Maybe you made a winning move by pointing it out here!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

*bump*

Those who have the book, take alook at the 8th at FG Saturday, then review his method of using the running styles.......nice $62.00 horse that was very bet-able using his method.

I just happened to be thumbing through his eBook the other day and reading that section.

Sorry, Basterds, I did NOT use it in the contest. I posted my plays before I re-read the book!