Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Larry Jones...positive is BS

The link I posted here is from Goggle. I used the Google link because there are several of the same story listed there.
This story reeks of BS...and I would be willing to bet someone did sabatoge Larry Jones... People are getting way out of control concerning racing & drugs, and I would also bet bigtime, if this was a deliberate act against Larry Jones, it was PETA that did it.
Anyway...if you guys haven't seen this story yet...maybe it'll piss you off as much as it did me. This man has been through enough.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wn

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Hey, the guy got a positive and he says it might be. Admits he administered clenbuterol 4 days before the race. In some jurisdictions, you can't administer that drug within 7 days of a race if you want to avoid a positive.

It is what it is. If you want to read fantasyland into it that's your biz....

And, clenbuterol ain't water, oats or hay!
Old 06-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
DrugS

Even people who wear pointed tin foil hats have to think the idea that PETA was responsible for a Clen overage is silly.

In states where steroids are banned - trainers are upping the amount of Clen they use.

One trainer at PID who is doing well here told me he is doubling the Clen he normally gives to his horses because of the states new steroid ban.

Jones is winning at over 40% at Delaware and in the exacta over 75% - he just finally got caught playing with fire and had a horse test with more than the allowable levels in his system. For his owner to cry sabotage is absurd.
DrugS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrugS
Jones is winning at over 40% at Delaware and in the exacta over 75% -
Holy Tomato Paste!

I can hear it now "hold the roids and give me extra Clen". My "all burger" spot plays will never be the same.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
HUSKER55

Guidance Please

Is clenbuterol a steroid? How are steroids regulated? If a drug is legal are they restricted ?

I know little about this. My neighbor says they used to give horse anti-inflamatories, (group name?) so horses didn't have aches and pains. But as he said, that was years ago.

Thanks

husker55

HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Nacumi

Clenbuterol is a a bronchodilator. It's used to ensure that a horse's airway is WIDE open, and is useful in training to keep the breathing passage open and free of mucous, etc., when horses are going at less than full speed.
It's imprudent and dangerous (and illegal) to use it on race day because of all the other things that can get tossed into a wide open airway, like track kickback and other irritants, particularly as much is still unknown about the long term effects of artificial surface kickback in the horse's lungs. There are certain notable clenbuterol trainer abusers who have used it so much that they've created equine junkies who retain the substance in their organs and don't even pass it out in urine.
The recommended withdrawal time for it is 72 hours in most jurisdictions.
Nacumi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Shenanigans

He admitted to using it on the horse. Sure, he probably used it the required amount of time out, but not every horse is guaranteed to metabolize it the same.
My question to why he is using it??? It is commonly used for horses that are sick and have a lot of mucus in the lungs. It cleans them out well. But a trainer shouldn't be running their sick horse 3 days later either. This is just another drug being abused and trainers are using it to get an edge. Using it 3 days before the race isn't because the horse is sick. It's because the trainer is looking for that edge.
Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
BIG49010

The state's of Pennsylvania and Delaware are crazy with these new drug limits,
you are going to see some of the smallist fields of slow horses in the country, racing for big purses.

They don't care though, they have slot revenue, and the fines from the people that try to run horses in there states.

A friend of mine lost a purse, and was fined $500 for a steroid overage at Presque Isle. The vet told them the horse could be run 2 weeks after a treatment, which is what they did, and they were still over by the state standards.

Your going to see more short priced horses like Big Brown run out of the money if trainers are affraid to run on meds and roids. As for trying to look at a horse's form via a past performance forget about it.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
The state's of Pennsylvania and Delaware are crazy with these new drug limits,
you are going to see some of the smallist fields of slow horses in the country, racing for big purses.

They don't care though, they have slot revenue, and the fines from the people that try to run horses in there states.

A friend of mine lost a purse, and was fined $500 for a steroid overage at Presque Isle. The vet told them the horse could be run 2 weeks after a treatment, which is what they did, and they were still over by the state standards.

Your going to see more short priced horses like Big Brown run out of the money if trainers are affraid to run on meds and roids. As for trying to look at a horse's form via a past performance forget about it.
My question is, if you know you are running in a state with a ban on steroids why would you administer it at all?? Same with the clenbuterol - if the horse isn't sick and full of mucus, why is it being administered? It's because the trainer is still looking for the edge over the rest of the field. Sorry, if you choose to push the rules, play with fire, you get burned.
Shenanigans is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
discodog

Kudos to you Rich, what happened to Hay, Oats, and Water. Three days before makes me think he was trying to take the edge. Maybe he's new to Chemistry, or the Vet told him it was far enough out not to be picked up. In which case the Vet should be Fined, and Suspended, with good ole Larry Boy. The owner wants to donate the winnings for the investigation if they need it. What planet is he from? Does he think he's going to get to keep the purse?
discodog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
BIG49010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans
My question is, if you know you are running in a state with a ban on steroids why would you administer it at all?? Same with the clenbuterol - if the horse isn't sick and full of mucus, why is it being administered? It's because the trainer is still looking for the edge over the rest of the field. Sorry, if you choose to push the rules, play with fire, you get burned.

The problem I see, is many horses that have become usefull (being they make a profit for an owner) because of steroids, clenbuterol, and other advancements will now be sent to Canada or somewhere for meat because they are to slow to be competitive.

I don't believe the racing world will pay large purses for horses that run 6 furlongs in a minute and 20 seconds, and if they do it is more reason to cheat!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Well, huh Guess you guys are correcto-mundo...he did admit to using it...thank goodness Eight Belles testing came back clean...
I don't know, I am really loosing faith here...I'm an optimistic person and beleive in the benefit of the doubt...but this entire drug thing has gotten so damned out of control, I just don't see any light at the end of the tunnel.
This just plain sucks.

I am thinking that Larry listened to his vet's advice...and got burned. Maybe it IS time to start getting after the vet's...after all, it does begin and end with them...they are the one's with the syringes

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
lamboguy

THE VETS ARE RUINING THIS GAME. it has become chemical warfare out there in the trenches. i just got a $8400 vet bill for a horse 2 weeks old with an intestinal problem. they told me they had to segregate the hore because she had diareaa

another bill i got from a vet in florida on a yearling. i had to take a chip out of a rear ankle. $2300. took an x-ray and found another chip in same ankle, another $2300.

i have paid more for vet bills than training bills alot of the time, that is why i don't mind selling champions.

as far as steroids are concerned, i took a philly off of winstrol in november, her coat has looked awful for 3 months, looks good now, had to cheapen up the horse as well
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
as far as steroids are concerned, i took a philly off of winstrol in november, her coat has looked awful for 3 months, looks good now, had to cheapen up the horse as well
Aw c'mon man. This is not baseball. It's FILLY!
Old 06-22-2008, 10:32 PM   #15
beenacoach

And, clenbuterol ain't water, oats or hay![/QUOTE]

Neither is Red Cell or vitamin B-12, or Air Power, or a hundred other feed additives or booster shots horses get in order to feel better and run better. NO ONE runs on oats, hay, and water. NO ONE.

It is RACING people. It is a competative endeavor. Everyone is looking for an advantage. Some look for an advantage that is not legal and others look for every legal advantage they can get. But, everyone looks for an advantage.
beenacoach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply