Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
GlenninOhio

Keeneland handle down 17 percent

Excerpt:

"(Keeneland spokesman Jim) Williams acknowledged that anecdotal tales abound in regard to how some bettors have scaled back their wagering because of unfamiliarity with, or a dislike for, synthetic surfaces, but added that if those are true, then why were records set last spring?

"We're truly at a loss to give a full explanation," he said. "We've looked closely at the quality of racing and believe it's been top-notch. We've noted that there is a difference in scheduling in California now that eliminates one day a week [Wednesday], and obviously they're a major simulcast market for us. But overall, this really has us back on our heels."

http://www.drf.com/news/article/93744.html
GlenninOhio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The first season, people didn't realize the vast difference between dirt and polytrack. Now, they do, and they aren't betting. I'm not surprised.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
NoCal Boy

The problems at Santa Anita really highlighted the synthetic track issues for some and that is a 2008 issue. The del Mar meet last summer frustrated many. I do believe the lack of racing in California on Wednesday's hurts as well. TVG just reported a 70% jump in its Blue Grass handle so ADW is likely not the culprit either. Maybe they will finish strong. Pick 6 had to help a bit today.
NoCal Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Fred

Or some of it could be people in my situation. I wager with TwinSpires (TVG will not allow wagering from my home State) and I can only wager by phone on Keeneland which is somehting I am not going to do.
Does anyone know why TVG will not accept wagers from a State that TwinSpires will allow?

Freddy
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
samyn on the green

My action down 99%

There was a time when I used to bet $300-$500 a day on Keeneland when they had the dirt mega-bias. When I look back at my Brisnet records it still was my most profitable track. Now that they have this unbettable poly thing I have bet a total of $35 at the whole meet with $25 of that on a turf race. Us horseplayers hate change, but I wish they would bring back the dirt.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
parlay

Apathy

I have just lost interest. I made a few bets today, THE
FIRST TIME IN 3 WEEKS. I always looked forward
to Keeneland but racing has worn me down. If they
can alianate me the industry is in big trouble.
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Cangamble
Agitator

I can't cash a ticket at Keeneland. White flagged it.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
cj's dad

Food +$$$, Gas+$$$, Home heating oil+$$$$= less disposable income
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenninOhio
Excerpt:

"(Keeneland spokesman Jim) Williams acknowledged that anecdotal tales abound in regard to how some bettors have scaled back their wagering because of unfamiliarity with, or a dislike for, synthetic surfaces, but added that if those are true, then why were records set last spring?

"We're truly at a loss to give a full explanation," he said. "We've looked closely at the quality of racing and believe it's been top-notch. We've noted that there is a difference in scheduling in California now that eliminates one day a week [Wednesday], and obviously they're a major simulcast market for us. But overall, this really has us back on our heels."

http://www.drf.com/news/article/93744.html
Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
Grits

Quote:
The first season, people didn't realize the vast difference between dirt and polytrack. Now, they do, and they aren't betting. I'm not surprised.
If this becomes more and more obvious, showing increased, or steady, lost handle in coming race meets. Regardless what Keeneland has invested in poly--I don't care if they're manufacturing the stuff on the clubhouse turn--you'll see it go.

Keeneland Racecourse isn't about losing money; plus the blood runs too blue. They won't have it, there's too much pride in their product. They'll give it time, but if it ain't working--they'll dig it up. First to haul it in, first to haul it back out.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
phatbastard

my favorite meet every year......have bet tiny action bets on half-dozen races this year...maybe i'm stupid, but i can't figure it out anymore.....
phatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #11
Bruddah
Veteran

The "Swells" will be forced to admit

that the everyday player pays for the bills and Polycrap hurts their fancy "purses". Let's review their stated reasons for forcing Polycrap surfaces on the Thoroughbred Industry

1. Safer and fewer breakdowns--shown to be a lie. (no difference)
2. Cheaper because of less maintenance--shown to be a lie (more expensive)
3. Better for the jockey's--ummm maybe--blowback is softer--but particulate matter requires riders to wear masks.--long term effects unknown.
4. Less days lost to bad weather--shown to be a lie

Add the lost betting and Polycrap is a HUGE BOONDOGGLE.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #12
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruddah
that the everyday player pays for the bills and Polycrap hurts their fancy "purses". Let's review their stated reasons for forcing Polycrap surfaces on the Thoroughbred Industry

1. Safer and fewer breakdowns--shown to be a lie. (no difference)
2. Cheaper because of less maintenance--shown to be a lie (more expensive)
3. Better for the jockey's--ummm maybe--blowback is softer--but particulate matter requires riders to wear masks.--long term effects unknown.
4. Less days lost to bad weather--shown to be a lie

Add the lost betting and Polycrap is a HUGE BOONDOGGLE.
I could not agree more.

This post says it all, short and sweet, but oh so true.

_________
David
David-LV is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #13
asH

could be, some of the widely used systems/programs dont work for a profit at Kee/(environment?)....
asH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Or some of it could be people in my situation. I wager with TwinSpires (TVG will not allow wagering from my home State) and I can only wager by phone on Keeneland which is somehting I am not going to do.
Does anyone know why TVG will not accept wagers from a State that TwinSpires will allow?
Freddy
I tried to call in a bet on the Blue Grass while on the road last Saturday. It was the Bluegrass card etc. It was the first time I have ever called one in. The girl takes my info starts punching the bet in etc.......they say "oh, I am sorry, you can't bet that track, You live in Ohio" What the hell is that about?

I agree with CJ........polytrack has finally run a bunch of bettors off...........I am visiting Keeneland next week, but I have to tell you, if it weren't for the atmosphere and a chance to see some friends etc......... I don't think it would get much of my money based on my success there. But what's new

Btw, I am doing just fine at Santa Anita.........and I do pretty well at some of the other Polytracks.......but Keeneland is a whole different animal............

Last edited by JustRalph; 04-16-2008 at 11:57 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2008, 12:36 AM   #15
hibiscus

Any other industry in the world would survey the customer and conduct focus groups. Ours is the only industry so arrogant that it treats the customer like a necessary evil.

Of course it’s the synthetic surface and silly way racing is now run on it. It’s no shock to me what I’m reading in this thread. I haven’t wagered a red cent on the Keeneland meet in two years. I used to regularly play the guaranteed pick 4 and pick 6 at the California tracks but I haven’t touched that circuit since the surface switch. My overall personal betting handle is down significantly due to the new surfaces. I know that I can‘t possibly be the only one.

Keeneland management will continue to make excuses while trying to save face. I hope that at some point the truth will be undeniable and they’ll restore legitimate dirt back on this historic racetrack and allow true racing to resume.
hibiscus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply