Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Cratos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 400
Send a message via AIM to Cratos
Churchill Downs Track Layout

The PDF below is a scaled drawn layout of Churchill Downs with each Derby quarter mile marked with its historical (1948-2007) average quarter time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Churchill Downs.pdf (75.1 KB, 154 views)
__________________
Independent thinking, emotional stability, and a keen understanding of both human and institutional behavior are vital to long-term investment success My hero, Warren Edward Buffett

Last edited by Cratos : 02-26-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Cratos is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
JustRalph
--------
 
JustRalph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dallas Area
Posts: 32,886
vCash: 400
If you have never been there...........it is much smaller than it looks on TV. At least I thought it was. And that Stretch is longer than it looks on TV.
__________________
Borders, Language, Culture, BBW's
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Cratos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 400
Send a message via AIM to Cratos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
If you have never been there...........it is much smaller than it looks on TV. At least I thought it was. And that Stretch is longer than it looks on TV.


My first trip to Churchill Downs was in 1978 to see the Alydar-Affirmed matchup and I have been back every year since.
__________________
Independent thinking, emotional stability, and a keen understanding of both human and institutional behavior are vital to long-term investment success My hero, Warren Edward Buffett
Cratos is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
Murph
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,129
vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to Murph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
The PDF below is a scaled drawn layout of Churchill Downs with each Derby quarter mile marked with its historical (1948-2007) average quarter time.
When can I get the other major track diagrams using this format?
Is something like that available, Cratos?

Murph
__________________
H.A.N.A. - Helping horseplayers help themselves.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
rokitman
Registered BSer
 
rokitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
If you have never been there...........it is much smaller than it looks on TV. At least I thought it was. And that Stretch is longer than it looks on TV.

The stretch is well longer than the average one mile track. I have it at 1234'.
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Cratos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 400
Send a message via AIM to Cratos
Churchill Downs Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitman
The stretch is well longer than the average one mile track. I have it at 1234'.


Take a look at the attached PDF in my prior post (enlarge PDF if necessary) and you will find that the Churchill Downs stretch is actually 1,234.5 feet long and 113.5 feet to the first turn. However in the KY Derby the run to the first turn is nearly 1,566 feet long when the run up to the start is included to the 1/4 mile start and the distance to the first turn.
__________________
Independent thinking, emotional stability, and a keen understanding of both human and institutional behavior are vital to long-term investment success My hero, Warren Edward Buffett
Cratos is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Cratos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 400
Send a message via AIM to Cratos
Track Layouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph
When can I get the other major track diagrams using this format?
Is something like that available, Cratos?

Murph


Not to my knowledge, but we (my company) can re-create any track to scale in North America except Gulfstream and most European tracks plus the track in Dubai. However we do not sell or give this information away, but if you will send me a private message I will send the tracks you request if it is not a many track request. Also I plan to publish both Pimilco and Belmont very shortly to PA.
__________________
Independent thinking, emotional stability, and a keen understanding of both human and institutional behavior are vital to long-term investment success My hero, Warren Edward Buffett
Cratos is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
JPinMaryland
Registered User
 
JPinMaryland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,636
vCash: 400
WHen you say "average time of 4th quarter" what are you saying here? Because obviously you are not taking the average of all horses, you are taking the average of what:

a) pace call? (could be different horse at different times)
b) the winner's fractions?
c) the fastest fractions...?

Because I added all the average times and it comes to 2:02 or so; I dont think that's the average time of a horse in the derby, its most likely the average winning times. But are you just taking the pace call, or the winners fractions or..?
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
Cratos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 400
Send a message via AIM to Cratos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
WHen you say "average time of 4th quarter" what are you saying here? Because obviously you are not taking the average of all horses, you are taking the average of what:

a) pace call? (could be different horse at different times)
b) the winner's fractions?
c) the fastest fractions...?

Because I added all the average times and it comes to 2:02 or so; I dont think that's the average time of a horse in the derby, its most likely the average winning times. But are you just taking the pace call, or the winners fractions or..?


The times are the average time of the leader at each quarter of the KY Derby from 1948-2007. These times came from the historical Derby records on the Churchill Downs website and can be found in an Excel spreadsheet in an earlier post, KY Derby Average Times, 1948-2007, posted by me in this thread.
__________________
Independent thinking, emotional stability, and a keen understanding of both human and institutional behavior are vital to long-term investment success My hero, Warren Edward Buffett
Cratos is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #10
JPinMaryland
Registered User
 
JPinMaryland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,636
vCash: 400
Right, got it. I figured it was something like that. Anyhow where do you get sources for the Preakness and Belmont? The newspapers? Thanks.
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #11
Murph
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,129
vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to Murph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
Not to my knowledge, but we (my company) can re-create any track to scale in North America except Gulfstream and most European tracks plus the track in Dubai. However we do not sell or give this information away, but if you will send me a private message I will send the tracks you request if it is not a many track request. Also I plan to publish both Pimilco and Belmont very shortly to PA.
Excellent - thank you.

Murph
__________________
H.A.N.A. - Helping horseplayers help themselves.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #12
rokitman
Registered BSer
 
rokitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
Take a look at the attached PDF in my prior post (enlarge PDF if necessary) and you will find that the Churchill Downs stretch is actually 1,234.5 feet long and 113.5 feet to the first turn. However in the KY Derby the run to the first turn is nearly 1,566 feet long when the run up to the start is included to the 1/4 mile start and the distance to the first turn.
Oh, yeah
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 PM.



Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2013 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed @ 1024x768 Resolution Or Higher