Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:22 AM   #31
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Thank you for sharing this. You should start a new thread. Help ban Jacobson or something close so it gets more views.

Good job finding this SRU!
Someone posted it on Paulick Report in the "jacobson wins the title" article, so that's where i got it from.

They only need 48 more signatures to get to 1,000, hopefully they can get that in the near future.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #32
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
His average over this 5 year period is 3 deaths per year. The petition would carry more weight if someone took the total number of starters that Jacobson had and then showed the averaged rate of his horse's fatal breakdowns as compared to the industry rate. Since he starts more horses, I'm not sure that 3 a year is more than average, which is around 2%. I believe he starts around 500 horses a year, which would put his average fatal breakdown rate below the industry average.

Any trainer that is in the claiming business and starts the most horses is probably going to have the most breakdowns.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 08:48 AM   #33
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

There is a difference in causes of breakdowns that should be considered.
A horse that breaks down due to a freak racing accident is a far cry from a horse breaking down while taking a nose dive class drop.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:32 AM   #34
pandy

Anyone who tries to destroy a person's credibility, or petition to take away his right to work at his job, needs to do some research and present the facts. My point is important. Does Jacobson have more breakdowns than the average, or not? I saw that some writer compared his breakdowns to Pletchers and said that Pletcher had less breakdowns per starter, but that, of course, is a ridiculous comparison because cheap claimers are going to break down more than expensive young horses.

As for the stuff about Jacobson's positives, I could be wrong but I think the last positive was in 2009.

You want to make a point, get the facts and give a fair and balanced report, not the typical prejudiced spin that is all over the internet on a wide range of subjects. The internet is full of misleading and erroneous reports.

Last edited by pandy; 01-02-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
His average over this 5 year period is 3 deaths per year. The petition would carry more weight if someone took the total number of starters that Jacobson had and then showed the averaged rate of his horse's fatal breakdowns as compared to the industry rate. Since he starts more horses, I'm not sure that 3 a year is more than average, which is around 2%. I believe he starts around 500 horses a year, which would put his average fatal breakdown rate below the industry average.

Any trainer that is in the claiming business and starts the most horses is probably going to have the most breakdowns.
Jacobson takes advantage of the antiquated claiming system and treats horses like commodities, not animals. It is the system that enables him. Getting rid of Jacobson would be a joke.

Just fix the system. There is no reason for claiming races any longer if people truly care about horses.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #36
biggestal99

Quote:
Anyone who tries to destroy a person's credibility, or petition to take away his right to work at his job, needs to do some research and present the facts. My point is important. Does Jacobson have more breakdowns than the average, or not? I saw that some writer compared his breakdowns to Pletchers and said that Pletcher had less breakdowns per starter, but that, of course, is a ridiculous comparison because cheap claimers are going to break down more than expensive young horses.

As for the stuff about Jacobson's positives, I could be wrong but I think the last positive was in 2009.

You want to make a point, get the facts and give a fair and balanced report, not the typical prejudiced spin that is all over the internet on a wide range of subjects. The internet is full of misleading and erroneous reports.
Here is something that isfact about jacobson in 1982 he was suspended from racing for amimal cruelty (he allowed a horse to founder and the horse died). Left the game for 25 years. Came back in 2007.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #37
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99
Here is something that isfact about jacobson in 1982 he was suspended from racing for amimal cruelty (he allowed a horse to founder and the horse died). Left the game for 25 years. Came back in 2007.

Allan
I reported on that for Sports Eye. I went to the courthouse and read the trial transcripts for hours. After reading the trial transcripts I came away with a bad feeling about the whole thing. Some of the so-called eye witnesses had a criminal record, shady characters to say the least. There was also the possibility that they may have been going after David hard because of his infamous dad, who was hated by the racing establishment in New York.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #38
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Jacobson takes advantage of the antiquated claiming system and treats horses like commodities, not animals. It is the system that enables him. Getting rid of Jacobson would be a joke.

Just fix the system. There is no reason for claiming races any longer if people truly care about horses.

That's a good point. I can't imagine that claiming races will ever be banned, but Jacobson uses the claiming system the same way that many other successful trainers have for decades.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #39
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
That's a good point. I can't imagine that claiming races will ever be banned, but Jacobson uses the claiming system the same way that many other successful trainers have for decades.
I think he is worse personally. He ships to dump more than any trainer I can remember. He also takes advantage of the "no jail" rule that wasn't around decades ago. He will get rid of a declining claimer at all costs rather than rest the horse. That is fine by the rules, but it isn't very good for the horses.

A lot of Jacobson "breakdowns" occur after he has dumped them on somebody else. Someday when I have more time than I do now I want to track what happens to all the horses he has in a year, not just the ones still in his barn. He doesn't shoulder all the blame in those spots, but dumping horses on cheap circuits where horsemen can afford to rest horses even less than he can is pretty low in my opinion.

Last edited by cj; 01-02-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #40
pandy

Because he claims so many horses, it's really hard to prove that he doesn't take good care of them. One thing that is hard not to notice is that he had had many older horses that raced well for extended periods of time. And, he has some of these tough older horses that raced well for him, were laid off, and came back and continued to race well the next year. If you mistreat horses or don't take good care of them, they will not go on extended good form streaks.

Some of the trainers I've suspected of using juice had a much different profile, they'd claim a horse, the horse would run a few big races and then tail off miserably, sort of like Oscar Barrera style.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #41
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I think he is worse personally. He ships to dump more than any trainer I can remember. He also takes advantage of the "no jail" rule that wasn't around decades ago. He will get rid of a declining claimer at all costs rather than rest the horse. That is fine by the rules, but it isn't very good for the horses.

A lot of Jacobson "breakdowns" occur after he has dumped them on somebody else. Someday when I have more time than I do now I want to track what happens to all the horses he has in a year, not just the ones still in his barn. He doesn't shoulder all the blame in those spots, but dumping horses on cheap circuits where horsemen can afford to rest horses even less than he can is pretty low in my opinion.
CJ, I don't believe that it's fair to criticize a trainer when a horse he once trained breaks down in someone else's barn. That's really unfair, and absurd, in my opinion. I've sold cars because I figured my good luck was about to run out, the car was getting old. If the car had mechanical problems for the next owner, that's not my fault.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #42
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
CJ, I don't believe that it's fair to criticize a trainer when a horse he once trained breaks down in someone else's barn. That's really unfair, and absurd, in my opinion. I've sold cars because I figured my good luck was about to run out, the car was getting old. If the car had mechanical problems for the next owner, that's not my fault.
These aren't cars, they are flesh and blood animals. That is the difference. Jacobson treats them like cars.

Last edited by cj; 01-02-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #43
thaskalos

Jacobson may not be the most unscrupulous trainer in the game...but, in my opinion, he is certainly in the top two.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #44
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
These aren't cars, they are flesh and blood animals. That is the difference. Jacobson treats them like cars.

Still, what you're saying is unfair. You can only evaluate a trainer based on what he does while the horses are in his barn, not after they leave his barn.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #45
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Jacobson may not be the most unscrupulous trainer in the game...but, in my opinion, he is certainly in the top two.

Give me some facts. Baffert had all of those horses die while they were in his care. Some trainers have dozens of drug positives...etc.

This petition shows that Jacobson's horses break down at a rate that is lower than the national average. It's misleading and doesn't prove a thing.

My main concern regarding trainers is whether or not they are doing something illegal. Are they using illegal substances to gain an unfair advantage? That is the main question that the industry needs to address regarding trainers. All this other stuff is conjecture.

Some people are trying to suggest that Jacobson doesn't take care of his horses. That can't be because he is one of the most successful trainers in the business, and if you don't feed and take good care of racehorses, they won't win.

I'm not trying to defend this guy. I just don't like unsubstantiated nonsense.

Last edited by pandy; 01-02-2015 at 10:47 AM.