Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 10-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Suff
Beat up 💪

ICE Contacted me today. Re: Youbet

I filed a few Freedom of Information Act requests with the Federal Government requesting documents pertaining to the Youbet investigations.

I've used "FOIA's" for a while and I know the ins and outs on how to sniff around and pick things up. I was truly nothing but curious, and in hindsight I wish I hadn't but I did.

Anyways, I got an e-mail from a guy telling me was a FOIA officer with ICE and had a couple of questions about my request. My bell went off..because FOIA officers communicate by mail....rarely if ever will a FOIA officer call you. You can call them but they won't call you.

So I did some research and it turns out the guy calling me was a Special Investigator who has brought down some counterfeiting rings around NYC and Maryland.
Quote:

FOIA request # 08-152
Mr. Dudley,
I would like to speak to you regarding your FOIA request. Please provide me with a telephone number where I can reach you.

Thank you.

John D. Fox, Jr.
Special Assistant, Director's Staff
Office of Investigations
DHS-ICE
202-514-1006 (o)
443-463-9190 (c)

I got with him because once I knew who he was I figured he'd look me up unless I looked him up. So he called me. He was cagey, and asked me if I was lawyer, asked me if I was connected to You bet in anyway. I gave him one word answers for everything. He asked what my interest was and I said innocent bystander, and he circled around and asked me exactly what I was interested in, I gave him even less...."Curious Onlooker"

Most of this is against the law because I cannot be quizzed on my motives for seeking information from the Government. But I have no dog in this fight I was simply curious what the Government is up to with Youbet.

Anyway, it was an interesting exchange I thought I would share, and include a warning. When the Government is chasing down FOIA requests in an investigation they are going deep and going serious. So watch your step here and everywhere.

The event raises my curiousity even more but since I'm looking to lead a nice peaceful life, I'll quietly move along now.,.

Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Premier Turf Club
Veteran

WOW.
Premier Turf Club is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Hey Suff, sounds like your civil rights were violated with those gestapo tacticts. I'd see a lawyer. There might be others and a class action would be a possibility.

Milk them!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
kenwoodallpromos

Cool Suggestion

"I would like to speak to you regarding your FOIA request:
Next time you speak to him please ask him why he is so stupid he did not know you filed more than ONE request.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
rokitman
Registered BSer

Disturbing
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Donnie

....makes me wanna go out and pump up my You Bet account now!! Full speed ahead!!!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
betovernetcapper

If this post was by a couple of guys on the board (or any board), I'd think it was over blown, but Suff has always been a straight shooter. This thing may be more serious than even I'd thought.

My posts & letters & avatars & whatever reflect solely my own world view- Born in 1948 and never an I.C.E. visit
betovernetcapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by betovernetcapper
If this post was by a couple of guys on the board (or any board), I'd think it was over blown, but Suff has always been a straight shooter. This thing may be more serious than even I'd thought.
These things can be a guess. I googled the guy, and he's an investigator. So unless he was transferred to FOIA's, he sticking a thermometer in me. IMO.

This FOIA was one I asked for a copy of the search warrant, the application for the search warrant and any narrative in support of the application.

My only angle was an attempt to decipher what the case may be about. Is it money laundering? Is it Wire Fraud? Is it Tax Fraud? Is it Organized crime? If I could see some documents I thought I may stand a chance at deciphering what they are seeking.

While talking to me he said one or two things that tickled my nut sack. When he asked me if I was an attorney and I said no, he paused a long time and said...oh because another law firm that does not represent Youbet filed an extremely similar FOIA. Do you represent YouBet? To which I said, No.

It could be nothing but a bored bureaucrat, but we all have our spidey sense and I definitely sensed he was more interested in who I was and what I wanted than being a helpful Government servant.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2007, 11:44 PM   #9
vegasone

This is bigger than you may imagine. It is about more than one issue and only when(if?) it goes to indictment will we find out what it is all about
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2007, 03:08 AM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Nice going Suff! You are, and always will be THE MAN!

Now, if Keilan accuses me of kissing YOUR ASS, he'd be 100% correct!

This is good stuff....thanks for sharing....

PS. The Red Sox still suck, even if they have switched traditional roles with the Yankees. Is there such a thing as a reverse curse? Never mind, don't answer that....I'll be rooting against you in the World Series, of course. Nothing personal, strictly business....

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 10-24-2007 at 03:09 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Uh, would the PS be a little OT?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
Uh, would the PS be a little OT?
Must be a Tankees fan.
trigger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
njcurveball

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger
Must be a Tankees fan.

I bet you cracked yourself up all day turning the Y into a T here! What talent!

You should hang out with Philsfan, aka Harness Stalker aka whatever else he uses.

I think the two of you could be very close!
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcurveball
I bet you cracked yourself up all day turning the Y into a T here! What talent!

You should hang out with Philsfan, aka Harness Stalker aka whatever else he uses.

I think the two of you could be very close!
Wow! Must have hit a nerve. Go Red Sox!!!!!!
trigger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #15
njcurveball

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger
Go Red Sox!!!!!!

They are renting another band wagon tonight! I hope you can get a spot on it!
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply