Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 01-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Maxspa

Klein Speed Calculator!

All,
Bob Pitlak has developed a new software based upon Klein's book "The Power of Early Speed" The new program will list the Klein Speed points for all the horses on the card using both the BRIS and TSN single format files as well as calculate the Track Bias Number from the BRIS comma -delimited result charts.
His website is http://sports-bet-advantage.com
Maxspa
Maxspa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

I love how his programs never have the horses program number.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
Sly7449

Program On Hold

Greetings,

I sent in an Order for this tool however, I was notified that they were on hold due to a Claim Of Foul by DRF.

Negiotations are in the works. Hope that the price won't go up once the dust settles.

Why didn't Steve think of designing a Program to match the book?

L8R

Sly
Sly7449 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I don't see how in the world DRF could stop him, that is total BS. The man published it in a book, it is free information. The bias rating is in my program already, if they want it out, I'd love to see them try to stop me.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I read this again to make sure, and I don't see any way the guy would be doing anything wrong. He provides a program, the user still has to have bought PPs or comma delimited charts to make it work. It would be different if he bought PPs, made the ratings, then turned around and sold those, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

The guy put mechanical systems in a book that people paid money for, how could he (or DRF) then possibly turn around and say you can't try to implement them?

Something doesn't seem right here, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

DRF probably counting on bullying people with thier size and unmlimited lawyer funds. But I agee - can't see how they hav ea leg to stand on. How many programs have Quirin speed points in them?

I would much rather see DRF do something constructive, like study the KSP and prove they are worth anything at all. I have serious doubts that they area worth the time it takes to caluclate them. If they were so damn good, why didn't DRF put out a study for the book? I suspect they ran one and found, after the book was written, that the KPS were nothing more than fun with numbers, like most of what DRF puts on the market aside from the PP's.

In this day and age, guys like Klein need to know that you can no longer get away with crap statements like " my numbers improve on the QPS....." without proof. More DRF snake oil! Do KSP cure gout as well?

Last edited by Tom; 01-07-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
Lefty

cj, cause it's in a book doesn't mean you can put them in another form and sell them. Sure, you can use book content for your own use but you're infringing on copyright when you sell to others. I saw this one coming.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The guy put mechanical systems in a book that people paid money for, how could he (or DRF) then possibly turn around and say you can't try to implement them?

Something doesn't seem right here, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Isn't the argument that the material is copyrighted -- not public domain -- and it would be ok for the individual person to automate the KSP process for personal use, but a commercial entity using the "system" to sell products for profit would be verboten based on intellectual property law?

I'm not a lawyer and I hope it's not true but that's what I'm thinking.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I don't even see why they would want to stop it. It can only help sell PPs or charts, if they are ever for sale. It certainly can't hurt.

People who read Andy Beyer's book started making speed figures and selling them, was this illegal? I doubt it, but like I said, I guess we'll find out the stance sooner or later.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
socantra

Probably a kneejerk reaction from the DRF, OR they plan on marketing the ratings themselves.

I don't really see how the technique could be copyrighted, but possibly the use of Klein's name and the DRF book in connection with the marketing of the program could be shaky.

socantra...
socantra is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
Overlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by socantra
Probably a kneejerk reaction from the DRF, OR they plan on marketing the ratings themselves.

I don't really see how the technique could be copyrighted, but possibly the use of Klein's name and the DRF book in connection with the marketing of the program could be shaky.

socantra...
From a layman's standpoint, I would think that acknowledging that the information or program was based on Klein's methodology (that is, giving him due credit for it and not representing the basic method as one's own) would be a necessary condition for proper, authorized usage.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #12
Dan Montilion

Kind of hard to believe that all of this foolishness is really just about who has speed and who does'nt.

Dan Montilion
Dan Montilion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #13
Sly7449

DRF Files?

Greetings,

This mentioned software indicated that it uses either BRIS or TSN files. I cannot recall seeing where it can use DRF Files, Hmmmm.

All that it may take is to include the option for the User to utilize DRF, BRIS or TSN Files and maybe others.

Currently, I know of the Tomlinson Figures are only available from DRF. Does DRF intend to manipulate Klein Figures as they have with the Tomlinson's?

Hmmmmm

L8R

Sly
Sly7449 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

DRF says they have some kind of pace figures coming out...maybe they are incorporating the KSP into them????

Still, un-validated numbers. Quirin validated HIS points back in the seventies....DRF must still be in the sixties!
Old 01-07-2006, 07:17 PM   #15
Vegas711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
DRF says they have some kind of pace figures coming out...!
Probably with a price increase, its been a while since they last increased their price.