Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-19-2001, 07:48 PM   #1
Rick Ransom

OK, new topic. What the hell is class anyway?

Is it versatility (the ability to win running either early or late)? Or is it the ability to triumph when challenged?

To the guy who always thinks I have an answer before I ask the question: I don't know. That's why I'm asking. There's no conspiracy here. OK?

There is some evidence that horses who are challenged by another who is within say one length and who fight for the lead (even if they don't get it) might be a better bet than those who give up under the same circumstances.

I also like the horses that run 2-3 lengths off the lead and can run either early or late.

What do you think?
Rick Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2001, 08:15 PM   #2
so.cal.fan

Question

The ability of a horse to carry it's speed over a distance of ground?
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2001, 08:22 PM   #3
Larry Hamilton

I think it would be easier to catch smoke with a net than to define class, but I am going to enjoy the attempts.

Here is one approach. Start with something easy and work up to horses. What is class in a human?
Larry Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2001, 08:25 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Talking Class

The ability to set or overcome the pace of the race under less than optimum conditions. The ability to dig down and either resist challenges or overcome them.
It is more mental than physical, although the physical is needed to perform. Balto Star had ability, but not class.
When challenged by his peers, he quit. Millenium Wind had speed, not class. Monarcos had a pace advantage,
not a class advantage. Forgoe has class-he was hopelessly beaten more than once, but came on to win.
That undefeated filly who won her last race in the breeders cup by a nose had class. Hallowed Dreams has class. Class horses do what they have to to win. Other horses do what they can and win if that is enough.
It is a lot like Gusto.
Tom
Old 05-19-2001, 08:27 PM   #5
Tuffmug
I just lost by THIS MUCH!

The classiest horse in any field is the one with a pace advantage over his rivals at today's distance, good form, positive trainer intent AND THE DESIRE TO WIN!
Old 05-19-2001, 08:36 PM   #6
Rick Ransom

Larry,

I'm afraid that class in a human is entirely different that class in a race horse when confined solely to the ability to win. I guess you could say that in Bill Gates has class accoriding to the ability to win, but I would disagree with you on whether, in human terms, he has class.

Now, race horses don't get extra points for being really nice, but I once owned a horse that I would say had class (only in human terms), but definitely couldn't ever win a race.

I'm talking about making money here, though. If I were buying stock, I'd bet on the a******* who had f***** over people the most. Actually, I probably woudn't do that since I don't believe that whoever has the most toys when they die wins!

OK, let's get back to horses.
Rick Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2001, 08:53 PM   #7
Larry Hamilton

I wasnt trying to step on your thread, i was trying to point out how difficult this is. The example is 4 people above me have defined class--4 different ways.
Larry Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2001, 09:31 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Talking Class

Since we can't agree on what class is, does that mean we don't have any?
Tom
Old 05-19-2001, 09:33 PM   #9
GR1@HTR

Class...
The a horses ability to compete at a certain level. The maximum level that it is able to be competitive in .
GR1@HTR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2001, 09:35 PM   #10
JimG

Class: The horse that has shown the ability to win or place at the highest purse, taking into account differences in the pars at various race tracks.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2001, 02:01 AM   #11
tilson

I guess class is relative.....if a 20k claimer is placed in a 5k claimer race he is the class....the same horse in a grade 3 race is certainly NOT the class.
Class is generally referred to as the ability to....or demonstration of, winning at a higher level than the rest of todays field.
There are OFTEN races devoid of a horse considered to be the class of the field.
I guess you could also think of class this way....look at a race and say if i were a trainer and i could select any horse from this field to be in my barn who would it be.
I couldn't think of to many trainers not selecting a Cigar, or Skip Away, or Alysheba out of a typical grade 3 stakes race.
tilson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2001, 04:39 AM   #12
Slider

Class is Competive race levels. Class is money earned.
Class is ability to keep going when hurting. Class is giving all to win. Class is a combination of speed and stamina. Class is attitude. Class is the ability to rate and win races.
Take your choice or choices or add your own.

Now explain to me why a class horse that has won at the allowance and high claiming races show up later in their career in low price claiming races. Is class also health?

Slider
Old 05-20-2001, 08:50 AM   #13
tilson

Slider i would imagine its the same reason why guys like pete rose, or whoever, can no longer hit a 320 average when they become 44 years old...it's called father time
I mean you don't see to many 49 year old height weight champs either know what i mean.
tilson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2001, 08:53 AM   #14
Figman

I define "class" in a thoroughbred as the ability to successfully overcome a variety of pace scenarios at varying distances.
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2001, 09:39 AM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Talking Class

What if the guy that bought Zippy Chippy had trained Secretariat? Would we even know his name today?
How many potentil superstars are out there right now running for a tag and losing? Who could have pedicted Cigar's streak?
Class ain't that easy to see, either.
Tom