Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-21-2005, 11:18 PM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Global Warming

News today....MARS is warming up! Global warming on MARS!

That damn Bush! It has to be his fault, right?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Don't know about that Tom,

but Bush is a hurricane magnet, apparrently.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
ljb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

Not to worry Tom,
Bush has a plan to go to Mars. If we attack global warming there......
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2005, 10:37 AM   #4
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljb
Not to worry Tom,
Bush has a plan to go to Mars. If we attack global warming there......
Letterman had a good one last night. Bush wants to spend billions to send a man to the moon in three days. Hey, it's a heckuva improvement as it only cost the country about the same amount for him in five days to get from Crawford to Washington.

Yeah, I know. It's just a late night comedian, but he's done his share of Clinton bj jokes as well.
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Actually, MARS is in our future. And beyond.

We we given the ability and the intellignece to leave our earthly bounds - it is our destiny.
And of course MARS is our first planetary target because it is........

A RED PLANET!

Old 09-23-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
boxcar

On a More Serious Note: The Causes are Far From a Settled Issue.

"The Sun's radiance may well have an impact on climate change but it needs to be looked at in conjunction with other factors such as greenhouse gases, sulphate aerosols and volcano activity," he said. The research adds weight to the views of David Bellamy, the conservationist. "Global warming - at least the modern nightmare version - is a myth," he said. "I am sure of it and so are a growing number of scientists. But what is really worrying is that the world's politicians and policy-makers are not.

"Instead, they have an unshakeable faith in what has, unfortunately, become one of the central credos of the environmental movement: humans burn fossil fuels, which release increased levels of carbon dioxide - the principal so-called greenhouse gas - into the atmosphere, causing the atmosphere to heat up. They say this is global warming: I say this is poppycock
."

For the full article, see:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

Boxcar
Old 09-23-2005, 12:47 AM   #7
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
"The Sun's radiance may well have an impact on climate change but it needs to be looked at in conjunction with other factors such as greenhouse gases, sulphate aerosols and volcano activity," he said. The research adds weight to the views of David Bellamy, the conservationist. "Global warming - at least the modern nightmare version - is a myth," he said. "I am sure of it and so are a growing number of scientists. But what is really worrying is that the world's politicians and policy-makers are not.

"Instead, they have an unshakeable faith in what has, unfortunately, become one of the central credos of the environmental movement: humans burn fossil fuels, which release increased levels of carbon dioxide - the principal so-called greenhouse gas - into the atmosphere, causing the atmosphere to heat up. They say this is global warming: I say this is poppycock
."

For the full article, see:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html
The scientists have themselves to blame. As the cold war was winding down, research grants were drying up, so they made up global warming and scared everyone into giving them money to study it. The process by which this occurred was more organic and less conspiratorial than I just made it sound, but basically that's what happened.

I am actually surprised it has become so accepted as fact by the general public. To me it is still a new idea -- I remember when they first came up with it in the 80's as an idea. I thought, that's interesting -- I'll be keeping an eye on what they come up with to support it. I'm still waiting, but the endless repetition of the thesis seems to have turned it into a fact. I guess it is still generating those research grant dollars, in any case...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2005, 12:59 AM   #8
DrugSalvastore
I Love DrugS <3 <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Actually, MARS is in our future. And beyond.

We we given the ability and the intellignece to leave our earthly bounds - it is our destiny.
And of course MARS is our first planetary target because it is........

A RED PLANET!

Screw living on Mars---I want to live on the Sun!

I bet it's nice and warm....

I turn 24 today---does that suck or what!!!!

1/3rd of my life is finished...gone, done with, over!

I just multipled 24 times 365--came up with 8,760. I guess that means I've been alive 8,760 days.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:12 AM   #9
dav4463

I think we as humans have way too high opinion of our ability to influence the climate of the planet to a point where it causes disastrous results. The planet warms up and cools down, it is just a cycle, but the environmentalists have to have something to gripe about I guess.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:59 AM   #10
Lefty

Tom, if you'll go back and read some of my old posts on Global Warming I kept asking the libs if we were to cause of global warming, how did they account for the fact there was global warming on other planets? Never got an answer, just more diatribe.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #11
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty
Tom, if you'll go back and read some of my old posts on Global Warming I kept asking the libs if we were to cause of global warming, how did they account for the fact there was global warming on other planets? Never got an answer, just more diatribe.
The answer is simple: Those planets are mostly occupied by "fat, lazy and dumb" beings who don't give a flip about their environment, either.

Boxcar
Old 09-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #12
ljb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

Tom,
Could you provide some documentation for this statement ?
Old 09-24-2005, 12:08 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty
If there really werre global warming, wouldn't one think that the liberal brains would have thawed out by now?
Old 09-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #14
ljb
Veteran

Tom,
Did you ever come up with any documentation for your original statement?
Old 09-24-2005, 02:38 PM   #15
GameTheory

Just Google "Mars Global Surveyor" -- it has been orbiting Mars since 1997 and has observed the polar caps shrink about 3 meters a year...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply