Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-05-2021, 11:34 PM   #31
The_Turf_Monster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 427
I donít see why CDI would sell to a casino operator when thereís a CDI casino not too far away
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2021, 12:04 AM   #32
JustRalph
Just another Facist
 
JustRalph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Now in Houston
Posts: 48,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
It is kinda comical the trainers that never could adapt to the AP polytrack. Some trainers year over year like Rivelli made FOOLS of everyone else by utilizing tactics over the polytrack correctly. It is amazing how many jockeys used the "Stranglehold" method on their horses there...and it never worked out for them.

One trainer told a friend of mine, "The damn polytrack F**KED up all my horses" the first or second year he was there...and he never thought to do anything else to improve his stock.
This wasnít just Arlington. This happened at other tracks. Strangling horses into the stretch and then trying to run a quarter horse race was pretty common on plastic for awhile.

When the horses went away, so did my money. 6 horse races were awful at Arlington
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2021, 12:43 AM   #33
The_Turf_Monster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 427
APís poly was a lot of fun to play back around 2012-2014 when it was nearing the end of its useful life, but you had to track some non traditional stats to do it - temp, humidity, cloud cover, etc. There would be 3 or 4 days a year where you would have a sudden temp drop, with rising humidity going from sun to cloud cover that turned the poly into a turf course that favored deep closers. Judging by how few people id share the pick 4 and pick 5 pools with those days, not too many people had it figured out
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2021, 12:50 AM   #34
thaskalos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 26,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
APís poly was a lot of fun to play back around 2012-2014 when it was nearing the end of its useful life, but you had to track some non traditional stats to do it - temp, humidity, cloud cover, etc. There would be 3 or 4 days a year where you would have a sudden temp drop, with rising humidity going from sun to cloud cover that turned the poly into a turf course that favored deep closers. Judging by how few people id share the pick 4 and pick 5 pools with those days, not too many people had it figured out
I hope you didn't spend all your winnings in one place.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2021, 01:53 AM   #35
The_Turf_Monster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I hope you didn't spend all your winnings in one place.
Those days were free money and I knew it the second I stepped outside to walk the dog in the morning. My box was up by a few of the trainers and Iíll never forget the look on one of their faces when I walked back with the ticket and told him he had a lock and he thought I was high. Even the trainers didnít understand how that track played

I selfishly wish a track like CBY that has the same temperature and humidity swings would install poly
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2021, 11:10 PM   #36
stlseeeek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 238
Another track CDI purchased and ran it into the ground.
stlseeeek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 11:03 AM   #37
Valuist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 16,473
The Bears kicking the tires. Likely nothing more than a leverage play against the city of Chicago.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/202...arlington-park
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #38
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
The Bears kicking the tires. Likely nothing more than a leverage play against the city of Chicago.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/202...arlington-park
I can only hope. A ton of money was spent to make Soldier Field exactly what the Bears wanted it to be.

The situation with major professional sports stadiums is such a waste. The Braves, Rangers, and Falcons recently moved out of beautiful facilities that were built for them with tax money and weren't very old.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #39
The_Turf_Monster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 427
I donít think this is a leverage play against the city. You do that when youíre negotiating in public with the city first

This is what happens when estate planning canít control the future of an asset because there are too many generations of heirs and nobody can or will have a controlling share, theyíre trying to get the franchise worth as much as possible so they can sell. The city has been taking too much of the pie with too many strings attached and predictably, the Mayorís initial reaction yesterday was to make fun of the Bears.
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #40
horsefan2019
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I can only hope. A ton of money was spent to make Soldier Field exactly what the Bears wanted it to be.

The situation with major professional sports stadiums is such a waste. The Braves, Rangers, and Falcons recently moved out of beautiful facilities that were built for them with tax money and weren't very old.
There is no leverage play. Its a very real threat....The owners want to control the entire revenue stream....and considering how much money NFL owners bring in they don't want to share that with the city.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #41
horsefan2019
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Ironically, part of the reason Arlington failed was their massive, beautiful facility. They build a "palace" at the exact time racing was starting to move away from live attendance and they had to maintain it. Couple that with an inability to get a casino license and the decision to go synthetic, and Arlington has been dying a slow death for 20 years now.
The future of horse racing at least in the US is to build a racetrack with minimal spectator facilities and the entire track wired for broadcast to TVG or whatever broadcast partners. Most of the audience is gambling from home, cell phone, etc and will never set afoot in the track. This is also why racinos are almost the most profitable because they don't spend their money on infrastructure that loses money.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2021, 01:07 AM   #42
horsefan2019
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I can only hope. A ton of money was spent to make Soldier Field exactly what the Bears wanted it to be.

The situation with major professional sports stadiums is such a waste. The Braves, Rangers, and Falcons recently moved out of beautiful facilities that were built for them with tax money and weren't very old.
Its a goner. TVG is sending their people on site for the last Arlington Million race tomorrow. The track hasn't asked for 2022 dates. We know what happens when something like that occurs. Even if the Bears end up never moving there it will probably be sold and end up being used as something other than a horse racing track.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #43
Hedevar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago area.
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
The future of horse racing at least in the US is to build a racetrack with minimal spectator facilities and the entire track wired for broadcast to TVG or whatever broadcast partners. Most of the audience is gambling from home, cell phone, etc and will never set afoot in the track. This is also why racinos are almost the most profitable because they don't spend their money on infrastructure that loses money.
Agree 100%.
Hedevar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #44
zico20
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: st louis
Posts: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Its a goner. TVG is sending their people on site for the last Arlington Million race tomorrow. The track hasn't asked for 2022 dates. We know what happens when something like that occurs. Even if the Bears end up never moving there it will probably be sold and end up being used as something other than a horse racing track.
We have to wait to see who the winning bidder is. There are two bids from the horse racing industry. You also have to remember that the local government has enormous power on how the land is used. I would be very hesitant to submit a bid for a retail/industrial complex when permits are needed and can be easily turned away, leaving the land vacant and un-useable. If they truly want horse racing to continue then it will. If the Bears wind up getting the land, you can always tax the property to death, forcing the Bears to sell. Lots of options!
__________________
You will never achieve 100% if 99% is okay!
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #45
Hedevar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago area.
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
We have to wait to see who the winning bidder is. There are two bids from the horse racing industry. You also have to remember that the local government has enormous power on how the land is used. I would be very hesitant to submit a bid for a retail/industrial complex when permits are needed and can be easily turned away, leaving the land vacant and un-useable. If they truly want horse racing to continue then it will. If the Bears wind up getting the land, you can always tax the property to death, forcing the Bears to sell. Lots of options!
Absolutely zero chance the Bears get Arlington.
Hedevar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Is it a good deal for US that FOX now has the Belmont Stakes
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2021 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.