Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 02-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
Teach

Aqueduct: Saturday, February 24

Race One:

JACQUELINE D gets my tempered endorsement in the opener, an n2L lower-level claiming route. My selection is – quite candidly – almost by default. I can’t get overly enthused about a 4-year old filly who brokerher maiden on her 15th try. To think that she could go back to back would have me up nights pacing the floor. It’s just, quite frankly, that there’s nobody else I can make a serious case for. If you asked, I would counsel: “buying insurance”. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I think this grey filly can be there; it’s just that I can’t accord her a ringing endorsement. Luis Reyes is in the irons for trainer Dom Schettino. Others: , ,

Race Two:

MILAYA is another one of those best-the-rest types. She also, by the way, has the services of one of the top jockeys campaigning at Aqueduct, Manny Franco. This mare may have reached a little too high in her last as she failed to hit the board for the first time in several moons. Now, today, she’s back down with the kind that she’s most capable of prevailing over. Her trainer, Ray Handal, is having a solid “Big A” meet. He does very well with horses entered in claiming races. Others: , ,

Race Three:

BEAUTIFUL BUZZ, the Gary Gullo-trainee (Gary’s having an excellent meet) looks best in the non-graded Franklin Square. This Johannesburg-bred filly was nailed in deep stretch in her last; she finished 2nd but was disqualified to 4th. I believe with that race under her belt, she should move forward, I think she's most capable of getting her picture taken in Aqueduct winner’s circle. “Double A,” Angel Arroyo, will have his feet in the stirrups. Any moisture would move this filly up even more. Others: , ,

Race Four:

TIZ SUPER is my looking-for-value, medium-longshot pick in this lower-level claimer. This Super Saver-bred bay filly should relish the off-going. This filly should also be looking to be “on the engine” once the field leaves the gate. How well her jockey, the apprentice Hector Diaz, Jr. does,in accomplishing this task, will say a lot about this filly's chances of getting her picture taken. The most capable conditioner, Abby Adsit, is not having the kind of meet we’ve been accustomed to seeing from her. Yet, the Union College graduate is most capable of conditioning a winner, here. Others: , ,

Race Five:

HARD HITTER gets my nod in this 16k claimer n3L. Yes, this Flatter-bred bay gelding has been “on the bench” for many months; yet, her conditioner, Senor Rudy Rodriguez, does well in that category. The Mexican-born Rodriguez does especially well with horses entered, first after a claim. Further, the “outside” may be the place to be as recent rains and a thawing racetrack may create a bias for horses starting from outside posts. In addition, this gelding’s pedigree indicates a wet-track preference. Oh, the blinkers go on; that may help. Luis Reyes is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Six:

BATTLE OF EVERMORE. In this 8-panels claiming event, I’m taking a shot with a horse who may be better suited for the turf, yet who might just surprise on a wet racetrack. It’s just that this Scat Daddy-bred has faced so much better company in recent tries. Yes, quite admittedly, he’s had little to show for in his recent races. But, alas and alack, he’s precipitously sliding down the racing ladder to a point that if he’s anything and he can handle the Aqueduct main, he instantly becomes “a player”. “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown -- he does well with horses entered in claiming races -- is this gelding’s conditioner. It’s “Manny Being Manny,” Manny Franco, in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Seven:

GABRIELLA is my pick in this MSW state-bred sprint. What’s not to like. Trainer Todd Pletcher. Jockey Manny Franco. Lemon Drop Kid wet-track breeding. An outside starting post. And, last but not least, a solid 4-panels morning work. If this chestnut filly fires like I believe she’s capable of doing, she can win at first-asking. Others: , ,

Race Eight:

NOLINSKI is my choice in this OC sprint. This Bob and John-bred colt should be most competitive in this field. I like where he’s starting from. I’m hoping he can finish equally as well, first under the wire. Oh, the wet-track pedigree is there. It’ll be up to Junior Alvarado to harness this colt’s energy. Jeremiah Englehart – he’s having a solid meet – is this 3-year old’s conditioner. This colt should be forwardly placed coming out of the gate. Others: , ,

Race Nine:

MAZMANIA is my longshot try in the finale, a 25k MC sprint. I believe what sways me most is the kind of company this Langfuhr-bred chestnut filly has been keeping in recent tries. She’s been facing much tougher competition that includes a state-bred turf race against MSW types. I realize this filly hasn’t shown much in recent races; yet I believe this race may well serve as a wake-up call. I also believe this Danzig-bred will benefit from any moisture on the racetrack. Angel Arroyo has hit feet in the stirrups for trainer Gary Sciacca. Others: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply