Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
Inner Dirt

What to see between Cental Va to Disney World

Any ideas on what would be interesting to see or attend from 45 miles northwest of Richmond Virginia driving to and from Orlando Florida? No racing of any kind. My girlfriend seems to think any road trip I plan has to revolve around racing or gambling. I have taken her to horse and dog tracks and we even watched pig races at the state fair. Have taken her to two major Nascar tracks and three on the minor league short track circuit. For some reason she thinks she has seen enough things race around in a circle.

Help me out, any input is appreciated. Almost forgot time period would be the month of April.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 01-15-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
Grits

Savannah....food is incredible. Go to "Huey's". (Menu is online.) It faces the river. I eat there, only, every night... when I've been. The city is not crowded like Hilton Head and Charleston.

For seclusion, a place I've not been, but have heard a lot about is Cumberland Island, Georgia.

Saint Simon Island, Georgia is really beautiful.

A small but quaint place that I love is Beaufort, South Carolina.

I love Beaufort, North Carolina even better. Use to keep our boat at the yacht harbor there. Very, very old seafaring community. Lots of history.

These are resting spots, fun spots for relaxing. They're not dog, horse and Nascar track destinations. Busy as all get out in the summer, but not the winter. Ate on the waterfront at Beaufort, NC Friday after Thanksgiving. The weather was sunny, warm and beautiful.

One is pronounced: Buufort

The other, pronounced: Bowfort

Do not bother with Myrtle Beach. Every snowbird that no longer chooses Florida has chosen Myrtle. The traffic is a nightmare!! And they CANNOT drive.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
lamboguy

my aunt lives at The Landing, and when i go down to see her we always go to Huey's. i concur, real good place.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #4
incoming

Grits nailed it...River St. cant't be beat for great food and entertainment....it's down town. If you like southern history take one of the many guided tours. The only way to beat Savannah is Epcot at Disney World. Stay at one of the Hotels in the complex they are all unique with lots of amenities. The best one...you get to go to the front of all lines. Many 4 and 5 star resturaunts...featuring many international cuisines in Epcot. Take your golf clubs if you can sneak them by your girl friend 5 championship courses on site....color me envious
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
davew

do one direction with the Amtrak autotrain - you get to see country that is not polluted by the interstate.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
One is pronounced: Buufort
We always heard the locals say it more like Be-you-fert.
Quote:
The other, pronounced: Bowfort
In La Belle Province (Quebec) it would be Bow-Four. I've not been there so thanks for the heads up.

And, a big 'Yes' to Grits' recommendation of Huey's also. We liked it. The river setting helps a lot.
There is also a place a couple of streets back from the river called something like the Pink House? It was excellent. Also heard about Mrs. Wilkes(?).

Another stop off point might be Amelia Island. Mrs. Carolyns was awesome

Have a great trip.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 AM   #7
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
do one direction with the Amtrak autotrain - you get to see country that is not polluted by the interstate.
Did that run many times, a very good option

Z
Old 01-16-2018, 06:16 AM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Do not bother with Myrtle Beach. Every snowbird that no longer chooses Florida has chosen Myrtle. The traffic is a nightmare!! And they CANNOT drive.

Thanks for the heads up. "Go and unwind on Myrtle Beach time" ads are all over Broadcast TV here once spring gets close, I was actually thinking about it. I used to live in a popular destination for snow birds back in the early 80's, a lot of bad drivers that should have given up driving a lot time ago.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #9
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:

Try North Myrtle Beach. Not so crazy here. I will be here until April.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
gregrph

The only way to beat Savannah is Epcot at Disney World. Stay at one of the Hotels in the complex they are all unique with lots of amenities. The best one...you get to go to the front of all lines. Many 4 and 5 star resturaunts...featuring many international cuisines in Epcot. [/QUOTE]

There ARE many great restaurants at Walt Disney World and especially Epcot. Don't overlook the restaurants in the resorts or at Disney Springs though!

Staying at a Disney Resort has many benefits but DOES NOT include going to the front of the lines! Disney does have their MyDisneyExperience app where you can make 3 fastpass reservations per day starting at 60 days prior to your visit if you have resort reservations. You can also look up menus and make reservations through the app, make resort reservations, see wait times, purchase tickets, etc. Universal Orlando Resort has Universal Express Pass which let's you go to front of the line. This is free if you stay at one of the higher end resorts or can be purchased as an add-on to your admission ticket.

One place that I enjoy going is to the Kennedy Space Center. It's not directly on the way to WFW but on the east coast of Florida and is a nice side trip.
gregrph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
HalvOnHorseracing

How disappointing. Not one plug for Pedro's South of the Border.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #12
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
How disappointing. Not one plug for Pedro's South of the Border.
The only time I heard of that place is on one of those "Over rated roadside attractions" list. I will read up on it. From the name I would expect it would be a place to get some nice hot and spicy Mexican food.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #13
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
The only time I heard of that place is on one of those "Over rated roadside attractions" list. I will read up on it. From the name I would expect it would be a place to get some nice hot and spicy Mexican food.
You had it right the first time. But you'll see signs as far north as Jersey. If you miss it don't feel bad.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #14
Fager Fan
Veteran

I cannot believe all these recommendations, and not one mention of

SOUTH OF THE BORDER
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #15
Inner Dirt

For the record Epcot and South of the Border are on an MSN "Worst tourist trap in each state" list. I am guessing the South of the Border comments are sarcasm.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: