Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-22-2017, 03:01 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

RIP Dick Enberg.......

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...er-dies-age-82

One more of my favs leaves us.......he was great!

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D6819A0F-A0C5-4714-A1B6-0CFAF4D5D591.jpeg (16.3 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by JustRalph; 12-22-2017 at 03:03 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Agree, one of the old pros that let the game be the star instead of calling attention to himself. Mr. Enberg.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
Inner Dirt

Rest in Peace. I remember listening to him call the California Angel games on my transistor radio as a kid back in the 60's.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
MutuelClerk

Ohhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyy. RIP.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
Inner Dirt

Reading up on him he also did the Los Angeles Ram games, I had forgotten all about that. Back in the day Southern California had some of the best sports announcers on Earth. You had Chick Hearn, Enberg, Vin Scully, and Harry Henson on the mic at the same time, those were the days.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
ElKabong

One of the best. He and Olson were the best team of their era.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
Teach

“Ohhhhh Myyyyy,” the voice on the answering machine intoned. I knew immediately that I had the correct phone number. I was calling from the 44th floor of Boston’s Prudential Tower. I was then in the sports office of radio station WEEI, 590 on your dial, CBS Radio in Boston.

The year was 1980. I had taken a leave-of-absence from teaching high school history to work as WEEI’s Manager of Network Sports Operations. My main job was set up and manage WEEI’s 35-station New England Patriots Radio Network. Yet, I wore other “hats” as well.

One of my jobs was to help produce one of our two sports talk-shows. As I remember, the host of our late-night talk-show was a man named Maynard Allen. Maynard and I often consulted as to what guests we wanted to line up for the show. One day, the name Dick Enberg came up. I remember getting Dick’s number (it was probably on our sports office Rolodex). I called him. That’s when I heard Dick Enberg’s signature phrase: “Ohhhhh Myyyyy”.

As I recall I left a message with Dick that included our sports dept. telephone number. A few hours later, Dick Enberg called me back. I told Dick that we were CBS Radio in Boston (those words, “CBS Radio,” carried some clout in the radio world).
I then explained to Dick that we wanted to have him as a guest on our late-night sports talk-show. I then told him that I was the “set-up man” and that either the host himself or one of our sports talk-show producers would be in touch with him. I explained that my job was to see if our possible guest was both available and interested in appearing on the show.

As our conversation ensued, Dick was more than gracious. He told me that he’d be happy to be a guest. It was then we starting talking about sports; it was as if we were a couple regular guys sitting at a table sipping a coffee or downing a couple beers.

That evening, Dick Enberg was indeed a guest on WEEI’s sports talk-show. From all accounts (I didn’t catch the program) Enberg was the ideal guest. I was told he reminisced about his early years as a broadcaster, particularly when he called UCLA Bruins basketball, California Angels baseball, and LA Rams football

I remember that afternoon (when I initially spoke with Dick Enberg) over 35-years ago, as we were finishing our conservation, Dick recalled his days as an undergraduate at Central Michigan University. I remember that before he hung up, Dick Enberg said, “One day, they’ll (CMU) get all my money.”

Of all the sports personalities that I got to talk with – and there were many --when I worked for CBS Radio in Boston, Dick Enberg would rate right up there as one of the classiest. He was certainly one of the most talented. Rest In Peace: Dick Enberg.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
olddaddy

He was there for the Inaugural Million on NBC. Racing was relevant then.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Sad story. Even sadder reading his family first through something was wrong when he didn't arrive after a scheduled plane ride...they found him dead at his home, bags packed, was going to see his third grandchild for the very first time...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

That is sad, especially this week.
He was so much better than most back then and all of them today.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: