Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-21-2017, 12:01 AM   #1
fmhealth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 659
Rep Power: 15 fmhealth is on a distinguished road
Does this add up for my fellow 'cappers??

Perusing the entries for next week at TUP I encountered an unusual set of circumstances that I can't seem to reconcile. Your sage insights would be greatly appreciated.

Race #7 on 12/26 is the "Cave Creek Stakes". The usual local trainers with their charges are lined-up for this $25,000 race. Upon further review, I found a horse that is becoming a conundrum for me. "For Greater Glory"#2, ships in from the East coast, 2,400 miles ONE WAY!! His trainer D. Jacobson is well known out east but I've NEVER seen him enter a horse at TUP.

Here's where the story gets even more convoluted. He won a $50,000 claimer two back. The winners share was greater than the total purse for this contest. He has a few recent works, none over the TUP strip & looks like a square price @ 5-1 ML. Picks up a local jock that is 9% winners for the meet (Issy Hernandez).

So, if he prevails & heads back to his home base that'll be almost a 5,000 mile trip for the winners share of less than $15,000!! Could anyone kindly enlighten me as to how this makes good business sense. Keeping in mind that Jacobson is a bright fellow that is as sharp or sharper than most trainers.

Be Well,
fmhealth
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 12:39 AM   #2
jay68802
Registered User
 
jay68802's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 6,817
Rep Power: 21 jay68802 is a glorious beacon of lightjay68802 is a glorious beacon of lightjay68802 is a glorious beacon of lightjay68802 is a glorious beacon of lightjay68802 is a glorious beacon of light
Probably shipping to Santa Anita and stopping along the way to try to pick up a check. Surprised by the choice of jockey, but could have been that the jockeys were already committed on other rides.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 01:12 AM   #3
ultracapper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,769
Rep Power: 7 ultracapper is on a distinguished road
Agree with Jay. Headed to SA. Maybe trainer is bringing a string. Maybe owner has some reason to want the horse in Cali. Whatever it might be, it's not a stretch to guess the horse is headed to SA. Not a certainty, but not a stretch either.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Whosonfirst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 845
Rep Power: 10 Whosonfirst will become famous soon enoughWhosonfirst will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhealth View Post
Perusing the entries for next week at TUP I encountered an unusual set of circumstances that I can't seem to reconcile. Your sage insights would be greatly appreciated.

Race #7 on 12/26 is the "Cave Creek Stakes". The usual local trainers with their charges are lined-up for this $25,000 race. Upon further review, I found a horse that is becoming a conundrum for me. "For Greater Glory"#2, ships in from the East coast, 2,400 miles ONE WAY!! His trainer D. Jacobson is well known out east but I've NEVER seen him enter a horse at TUP.

Here's where the story gets even more convoluted. He won a $50,000 claimer two back. The winners share was greater than the total purse for this contest. He has a few recent works, none over the TUP strip & looks like a square price @ 5-1 ML. Picks up a local jock that is 9% winners for the meet (Issy Hernandez).

So, if he prevails & heads back to his home base that'll be almost a 5,000 mile trip for the winners share of less than $15,000!! Could anyone kindly enlighten me as to how this makes good business sense. Keeping in mind that Jacobson is a bright fellow that is as sharp or sharper than most trainers.

Be Well,
fmhealth
Turning a family trip into a legit business expense for the IRS. Plus maybe pick up some expense money in the process. Charles Givens used to tell people to stop at a few businesses to ask about jobs and drop off your resumes to deduct some of those costs as an IRS deduction. I never had the cajones to risk an audit for that idea.
__________________
Predicting the outcome of a horse race is an activity that exerts continuing appeal to the extraordinarily opulent. It is intellectually lucrative albeit fiscally ruinous.-Richard Epstein
Whosonfirst is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
reckless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: near Philadelphia
Posts: 3,734
Rep Power: 22 reckless is a jewel in the roughreckless is a jewel in the roughreckless is a jewel in the rough
I worked for a sports editor who planned his family vacations around free-lance writing jobs at various sports-crazy areas.

Be it a live game reporting job, a feature column of a well-known coach or player and his favorite -- a column about a local schoolboy hero who later became a well-known college or pro star.

He had the street cred to land these free-lance gigs and a tax deduction on his vacation costs to boot!
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
linrom1
Registered User
 
linrom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 885
Rep Power: 17 linrom1 is on a distinguished road
Jacobson is bringing a division to race at Santa Anita this winter.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
ultracapper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,769
Rep Power: 7 ultracapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Turning a family trip into a legit business expense for the IRS. Plus maybe pick up some expense money in the process. Charles Givens used to tell people to stop at a few businesses to ask about jobs and drop off your resumes to deduct some of those costs as an IRS deduction. I never had the cajones to risk an audit for that idea.
OMG!!! The Holiday Vacation Stakes at Turf Paradise. 3up that have started at any other track than TUP since last racing at TUP. $35k added.

Every and any owner vacationing from L.A. to Albequerque just needs to drag a horse along and write off a bit of the trip for business.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
biggestal99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,516
Rep Power: 8 biggestal99 has a spectacular aura aboutbiggestal99 has a spectacular aura aboutbiggestal99 has a spectacular aura about
So do I play (bet for), lay (bet against) or pass?

I am thinking that he'll get bet so I am thinking taking a minor stance against.

What do others think?

Allan
biggestal99 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
GMB@BP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,716
Rep Power: 20 GMB@BP has a spectacular aura aboutGMB@BP has a spectacular aura aboutGMB@BP has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
So do I play (bet for), lay (bet against) or pass?

I am thinking that he'll get bet so I am thinking taking a minor stance against.

What do others think?

Allan
He is one of the slowest horses in the race, if I was playing I would hope he gets bet all to heck.

These 25-50k races are basically written for the best hard hitters at TuP, and while in general they are lessor stakes horses they still are the best at the track and its going to take Alw or high level claimers to win from SA or Aqu.

Its kinda like the bottem level mdn claimers in reverse.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
Whosonfirst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 845
Rep Power: 10 Whosonfirst will become famous soon enoughWhosonfirst will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
OMG!!! The Holiday Vacation Stakes at Turf Paradise. 3up that have started at any other track than TUP since last racing at TUP. $35k added.

Every and any owner vacationing from L.A. to Albequerque just needs to drag a horse along and write off a bit of the trip for business.
WHOOSH!
__________________
Predicting the outcome of a horse race is an activity that exerts continuing appeal to the extraordinarily opulent. It is intellectually lucrative albeit fiscally ruinous.-Richard Epstein
Whosonfirst is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #11
fmhealth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 659
Rep Power: 15 fmhealth is on a distinguished road
"For Greater Glory" was an early scratch @ TUP this morning. Perhaps he'll turn up in the SA starting gate soon.

Be Well,
fmhealth
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Mega Barn "Super" Trainers are............... (You can choose more than one answer)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.