Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 12-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
judd

Re-furnished computers

Anybody ever buy a refurbished laptop etc
Panasonic tough laptop usually expensive new saw a site for refurbished
Old 12-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
lamboguy

i buy re-furbished desk tops from Lenova and Dell. they are really good too. if you need one from Lenova and i can get you an employee discount that will save you some more money than what they quote.

Last edited by lamboguy; 12-09-2017 at 08:14 AM.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Dave Schwartz

I buy refurbs but I'd never buy a laptop because I get the refurbs from a local vendor. If it turns out to be a lemon, they'll have a difficult time standing behind it.

Buying refurbs from the source (i.e. Dell, HP, etc.) would probably be different.

I recently purchased 5 HPs and a couple more earlier in the year. My standard for the last year has been:

*Quad core
*6/8 GB RAM
*Internal SSD
*Win7 (OS included)
*Video card to support dual monitors
*DVD, etc. but no mouse, keyboard or monitors.

My standard price all year has been $439. It goes up substantially with Win8 or Win10.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
Parkview_Pirate

I bought a "certified" refurbished laptop on Amazon late last year, a Dell Latitude with 14in screen, W7, 8GB of RAM, and a 128 GB SSD. It's the same model I had at my last job, and my brother also has the same model (E6430) for his job. Works like a champ. Came with a 1 YR guarantee. Sold by Skytech USA. Did not come with O/S CD/DVD, but I backed it up and loaded Linux on it too, so now it's dual bootable. No issues.

Price: $282

I had never bought a used computer before, but I'll definitely get another laptop like this one when it dies. I've got a custom built desktop I built with all new components, and I'll probably do that again. But I think laptops are a bit trickier, and worth going with a COTS system. But there's no need to pay full retail on them. To buy "new" was twice as much for cheap vendors, and as far as I could tell was about $1000 to $1100 for a new Dell.

I figure this model is about 5 years old now, and I hope to get another two to three years out of it. It's really "paid" for itself already, but spending $100 to $200 per year for a laptop is about right. If I drop it, or somebody swipes it, I've got a backup, and will go back online to get another decent quality used one. I won't have to cry and moan over losing an expensive device.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
upthecreek

I bought a refurbished Dell laptop E6400 about 21 months ago-- zero problems Bought it off a certified refurbisher on eBay, Blair Technology Paid $145 with yr. warranty
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply