Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-30-2018, 12:42 PM   #16
Robert Fischer
clean money
 
Robert Fischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 17,445
Rep Power: 31 Robert Fischer will become famous soon enoughRobert Fischer will become famous soon enough
Blake Griffin ---> Detroit



How does this tie in to Embiid/Simmons / Philly 76ers / "The Process", you ask??
Detroit is 2 1/2 back from Philly for the last playoff spot in the EAST. Griffin hopes to work a 2-man game with big man Drummond to take that spot ( also - we don't have an '18 NBA thread )

Clippers unload a BIG bloated contract for Griffin 30M++ guaranteed/yr... Helps Clips rebuild, and potentially gets Detroit into the playoffs, while generating media (this is perhaps the first time I checked on the Pistons since watching a Dennis Rodman career highlight youtube...).
__________________
Preparation. Discipline. Patience. Decisiveness.
Robert Fischer is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #17
proximity
Registered User
 
proximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: pen
Posts: 4,051
Rep Power: 15 proximity will become famous soon enough
the team is hotter than an august weekend at the vegas blu pool...
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #18
tucker6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,145
Rep Power: 22 tucker6 is just really nicetucker6 is just really nicetucker6 is just really nicetucker6 is just really nicetucker6 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
the team is hotter than an august weekend at the vegas blu pool...
pics or it didn't happen.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #19
buzzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 184
Rep Power: 0 buzzy is infamous around these parts
Simmons is for real.. his stats are with the goat.. if embiid stays healthy (big if)
WOW
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #20
Valuist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: East Bay
Posts: 16,116
Rep Power: 33 Valuist will become famous soon enoughValuist will become famous soon enough
Game one of the Sixers/Celtics was simply about the variance in 3 point shooting. The Celtics hit 17, the Sixers only 5. That's a 36 point differential right there.

I did notice when Philly did get the ball inside to Embiid, there was nothing Boston could do to stop him. The guy is scary good, with finesse to go with his power.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
thaskalos
The Sleeper Must Awaken
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 21,484
Rep Power: 43 thaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
Game one of the Sixers/Celtics was simply about the variance in 3 point shooting. The Celtics hit 17, the Sixers only 5. That's a 36 point differential right there.

I did notice when Philly did get the ball inside to Embiid, there was nothing Boston could do to stop him. The guy is scary good, with finesse to go with his power.
I was shocked to see how ignorant Charles Barkley was in his post-game assessment of this game. He announced that Philly had terrible matchup problems against Boston...when the simple fact was that the Sixers had their worst shooting performance on the same night when the Celtics shot lights-out.

No wonder Barkley blew all that money gambling...
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs
 
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 41,611
Rep Power: 64 cj is a splendid one to beholdcj is a splendid one to beholdcj is a splendid one to beholdcj is a splendid one to beholdcj is a splendid one to beholdcj is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I was shocked to see how ignorant Charles Barkley was in his post-game assessment of this game. He announced that Philly had terrible matchup problems against Boston...when the simple fact was that the Sixers had their worst shooting performance on the same night when the Celtics shot lights-out.

No wonder Barkley blew all that money gambling...
Barkely is entertaining but clueless. You can tell most of those guys only watch a few games year, probably the ones where they're on the air. Some of the stuff I hear the in game announcers and the studio hosts are comical.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #23
Jeff P
Registered User
 
Jeff P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Posts: 3,022
Rep Power: 21 Jeff P has a spectacular aura aboutJeff P has a spectacular aura about
Embid was pretty hard to stop once he got into the paint - even with Horford covering him. Imo moreso in the 2nd half. Definitely fun to watch. Kind of amazing (at least to me) how much the Sixers have improved. Hadn't really watched them this year (until last night's game.)

But imo, the Sixers mailed it in on defense too many times. Too many Boston possessions with Embid occupying the paint and no Boston player within several feet of him. Every time that happened it seemed somebody in a white and green jersey ended up with a wide open shot. (Imo, a contributing factor in Boston's 3 pt fg %.)


-jp

.
__________________
Team JCapper: 2011 PAIHL Regular Season ROI Leader after 15 weeks
www.JCapper.com

Last edited by Jeff P; 05-01-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2018, 11:51 PM   #24
lansdale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,338
Rep Power: 14 lansdale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
Game one of the Sixers/Celtics was simply about the variance in 3 point shooting. The Celtics hit 17, the Sixers only 5. That's a 36 point differential right there.

I did notice when Philly did get the ball inside to Embiid, there was nothing Boston could do to stop him. The guy is scary good, with finesse to go with his power.

Generally agree re 3-pt. variance -- no way Celts shoot 50% in the rest of this series and Rozier's 7-9 was a Halley's Comet event. But it was also obvious from the jump that not only were the Sixers rusty from the time off, but that they weren't taking Boston's offense seriously -- very often no rotation to shooters open after the fourth or fifth pass, and they were caught napping a few times in transition -- that Celt score off the dead ball made me laugh. Brown, who's a good coach, should take some of the blame for having Reddeck on Tatum so much of time -- don't think we'll see that in the next game -- and as Haralbob (who, as always, had the best take on the game) said, for playing two matador defenders like Belinelli and Reddeck at the same time. Still, all the Sixer starters except Reddeck are young guys who've never been in the playoffs before, and haven't yet completely grasped how much more intense and difficult the games are, round by round. As Jordan said, it's two different seasons.

Give these young guys credit though -- I thought they'd win ca. 45 games -- now they're throught the first round of the playoffs, after ending their season with a 16-game win streak -- the longest in the league this year. Embiid (with 31/13/5 last night) and Simmons are unstoppable players who should take the Sixers past the injury-depleted Celtics in this series. Looks like a match-up w/Lebron after that. Should be fun.

Last edited by lansdale; 05-01-2018 at 11:58 PM.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #25
Valuist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: East Bay
Posts: 16,116
Rep Power: 33 Valuist will become famous soon enoughValuist will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale View Post
Generally agree re 3-pt. variance -- no way Celts shoot 50% in the rest of this series and Rozier's 7-9 was a Halley's Comet event. But it was also obvious from the jump that not only were the Sixers rusty from the time off, but that they weren't taking Boston's offense seriously -- very often no rotation to shooters open after the fourth or fifth pass, and they were caught napping a few times in transition -- that Celt score off the dead ball made me laugh. Brown, who's a good coach, should take some of the blame for having Reddeck on Tatum so much of time -- don't think we'll see that in the next game -- and as Haralbob (who, as always, had the best take on the game) said, for playing two matador defenders like Belinelli and Reddeck at the same time. Still, all the Sixer starters except Reddeck are young guys who've never been in the playoffs before, and haven't yet completely grasped how much more intense and difficult the games are, round by round. As Jordan said, it's two different seasons.

Give these young guys credit though -- I thought they'd win ca. 45 games -- now they're throught the first round of the playoffs, after ending their season with a 16-game win streak -- the longest in the league this year. Embiid (with 31/13/5 last night) and Simmons are unstoppable players who should take the Sixers past the injury-depleted Celtics in this series. Looks like a match-up w/Lebron after that. Should be fun.
It definitely got their (Philly's) attention. Good thing they weren't at home. Losing a game 1 at home is trouble (see Toronto) after the first round. Embiid is a great talent with a big ego so game 1 was a good reminder they have to be better focused on defense. I think they will, and ultimately will win the series. But Stevens' team will play hard and make them work for it.

It was almost uncomfortable to see Toronto crumbling last night. Many suspected it would happen, and they are really in a tough spot now. IMO, game 1 was a MUST win for Toronto, given the setup, being at home against a tired Cleveland team.

Last edited by Valuist; 05-02-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #26
lansdale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,338
Rep Power: 14 lansdale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
It definitely got their (Philly's) attention. Good thing they weren't at home. Losing a game 1 at home is trouble (see Toronto) after the first round. Embiid is a great talent with a big ego so game 1 was a good reminder they have to be better focused on defense. I think they will, and ultimately will win the series. But Stevens' team will play hard and make them work for it.

It was almost uncomfortable to see Toronto crumbling last night. Many suspected it would happen, and they are really in a tough spot now. IMO, game 1 was a MUST win for Toronto, given the setup, being at home against a tired Cleveland team.
Agree re Sixers -- as Embiid said today, '...our defense was trash', so I think the screws will be tightened in Game 2. Interesting if we see more of Fultz, who looked like the real deal in the few games he played -- possibly checking Rozier.
Guessing that this is the game they're looking to steal.

Surprised that the Raps were so pathetic in crunch time in their own building, especially against this weakened Cavs group -- doesn't bode well. If Lebron and Korver can get through the series without collapsing (forget about Love, who's really hampered by hand injuries), I think the Cavs hang on for the ECF.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2018, 03:00 AM   #27
Lemon Drop Husker
Registered User
 
Lemon Drop Husker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 7,979
Rep Power: 18 Lemon Drop Husker is a name known to allLemon Drop Husker is a name known to allLemon Drop Husker is a name known to allLemon Drop Husker is a name known to allLemon Drop Husker is a name known to allLemon Drop Husker is a name known to all
Interesting thread.

Will watch more.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #28
buzzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 184
Rep Power: 0 buzzy is infamous around these parts
Boston has done a masterful job of exposing 76ers weakness and inexperience, right out of playbook of bill belichek, I think Simmons will rebound today.. at 610 and can handle and pass the ball better than guards a foot smaller, hes a special talent... well see?
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #29
Rollingpk3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 4 Rollingpk3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Boston has done a masterful job of exposing 76ers weakness and inexperience, right out of playbook of bill belichek, I think Simmons will rebound today.. at 610 and can handle and pass the ball better than guards a foot smaller, hes a special talent... well see?

i think we need to pump the brakes on simmons a little. guy is an athletic freak i agree but lets see how long it takes for him to develop an acceptable game from beyond 10 ft. to go a whole season without a 3 pt field goal and to shoot fts like he does is a disgrace.
Rollingpk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #30
lansdale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,338
Rep Power: 14 lansdale is on a distinguished road
Sayonara Sixers

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Boston has done a masterful job of exposing 76ers weakness and inexperience, right out of playbook of bill belichek, I think Simmons will rebound today.. at 610 and can handle and pass the ball better than guards a foot smaller, hes a special talent... well see?
Agree that this series really has been Sixers vs. the brilliant Brad Stevens and a quicker team with near-perfect execution. This was especially true in games 2 & 3, where a few key moves by Stevens and dumb mistakes by Sixers made all the difference. Yesterday, every time the Celts hit a scoring drought, Stevens would call time, draw up a play, and they would score off it. Even as a Sixer fan, that last lob into Horford was a thing of beauty, with a characteristically stupid swipe at the ball by Covington, who, although a great defender, has made a lot of dumb plays during this series -- and all year, for those who have been following -- aside from being 0-fer for two of these games.

Re Simmons' shooting limitations, this is no secret and hasn't stopped from scoring, but that has never been his calling card and isn't the reason that the Sixers are going to be knocked out of the playoffs. They're going out because they still lack the experience and hoops IQ to compete at this level -- not really that shocking if you think about it. They also need at least one all-star level player to move to higher levels -- that might be Fultz, or less likely Saric, but still too many unknowns to make a call. Right now, the Sixers have one too many one-way scorers (Reddick, Belinelli, to an extent Saric and Ilyasova) who can't play much D. Covington is a decent 3-and-D journeyman, but still screws up a lot despite years in the league. They have another lottery pick coming up this year, and possibly more wheeling and dealing to be done re Fultz and that pick. Still, a very promising year for this young team.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which handicapping software has given you the best ROI?
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.