Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library


View Poll Results: Which book(s) would you recommend to a Newbie" Up to 3
Picking Winners: A Horseplayer's Guide by Andrew Beyer 1994 22 22.00%
Betting on Horse Racing For Dummies by Richard Eng 6 6.00%
The Winning Horseplayer by Andrew Beyer 2007 8 8.00%
Betting Thoroughbreds by Steven Davidovitz and Andrew Beyer 1997 16 16.00%
Exotic Betting by Steven Crist 2006 13 13.00%
Bet With the Best by Andrew Beyer and Steve Davidowitz 2001 4 4.00%
Getting the Best of It by David Sklansky 1997 2 2.00%
How to WIN the PICK 6 by Steven Kolb 2009 1 1.00%
Betting Thoroughbreds for the 21st Century by Steve Davidowitz and Steven Crist 2009 10 10.00%
Finding The Hidden Horse: Tips, tricks, angles and secrets by William Davidson 2017 2 2.00%
The Blood-Horse Authoritative Guide to Betting Thorougbreds by the Blood-Horse staff 2005 1 1.00%
Profitable Horse Race Betting Using Stock Market Techniques by Aaron Ainslie and Woodbine Mike 2015 0 0%
Secrets of Professional Turf Betting by Robert L Bacon 1952 1 1.00%
Commonsense Betting by Dick Mitchell 1995 7 7.00%
Overlay, Overlay by Bill Heller 2004 0 0%
Thoroughbred Cycles by Mark Cramer 1990 15 15.00%
Handicapping 101 by Brad Free 2004 15 15.00%
Complete Idiot's Guide to Betting on Horses by Sharon B. Smith 1998 0 0%
Beyer on Speed by Andrew Beyer 2012 12 12.00%
Trifecta: The Business of Betting Thoroughbreds by Bobby Zen 2012 0 0%
Finding an Edge: A 21st century book by Ron Loftus 2014 1 1.00%
Winning without Thinking by Nick Mordin 2002 3 3.00%
Six Secrets of Successful Bettors by Frank R. Scatoni and Peter Thomas Fornatale 2005 10 10.00%
Money Secrets At The Racetrack Paperback by Barry Meadow 2000 17 17.00%
Smarter Bets - The Exacta Way by Keith Hoffman 2013 0 0%
Betting Maidens and 2-Year-Olds by Dan Illman 2005 1 1.00%
Winning Horseracing Handicapping by Chuck Badone 1999 1 1.00%
The Power of Early Speed by Steve Klein 2005 4 4.00%
Modern Pace Handicapping by Tom Brohamer 2000 25 25.00%
None, just go to the track. 4 4.00%
None, all are outdated 8 8.00%
Other (please specify) 20 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. Non-members may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #16
Viruss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 133
Rep Power: 11 Viruss is on a distinguished road
Here a few you left out..

Ainslie's Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing
Calibration Handicapping
Recreational Handicapping


Earl J
Viruss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #17
hracingplyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 297
Rep Power: 18 hracingplyr is on a distinguished road
reckless

I don't see an email add for you. drop me a line at robertj1949@gmail.com and will send you the info.

Bob
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #18
hracingplyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 297
Rep Power: 18 hracingplyr is on a distinguished road
Don't see an email add for you. drop me a line at robertj1949@gmail.com and will send you the info.

bob
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #19
Clocker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 14,352
Rep Power: 21 Clocker is a jewel in the roughClocker is a jewel in the roughClocker is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesmark View Post
My "other" selection is:

The Handicapper's Condition Book, Revised: An Advanced Treatment of Thoroughbred Class
Dec 12, 2000
by James Quinn
A very important topic for newbies. Certainly not the first book to read, but perhaps the third. For those not familiar with the book, "condition" refers to the conditions of the race, not the condition of the horse. The details and examples in the book are dated, but the principles are more important than ever as racing secretaries write increasingly detailed conditions.

Also, I find it curious that 6 people recommended the 1997 edition of Steve Davidowitz's book, and only 2 recommended the 2009 edition. It has been a long time since I read either, but as I remember, Davidowitz was somewhat dismissive of pace handicapping in the first edition, more open to it in the 2009 edition.
__________________
A man's got to know his limitations. -- Dirty Harry
Clocker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #20
GMB@BP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,934
Rep Power: 18 GMB@BP will become famous soon enoughGMB@BP will become famous soon enough
I feel like in the world of super trainers, rebates, contests, drugs, etc that a lot of those older books have fallen by the way side.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #21
thaskalos
"Awake!"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 20,059
Rep Power: 38 thaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to all
While it's true that certain handicapping books contain nuggets of information which could prove helpful for the beginner...it's also true that these same books contain enough misinformation to do the novice player more harm than good. The bad thing about being a beginner is that he can't distinguish the useful nuggets from the unsubstantiated claims...and, consequently, he can be easily led astray.

There is no real need for handicapping books in today's wagering landscape. The beginner should instead open a modest account at the ADW of his choice...thus securing for himself the day's past-performances at near-zero cost. After that...he can proceed with his horse-betting education at his own pace, without any negative influence from the misinformed people around him. If he is smart, then he will make sure that his "tuition costs" are kept to a minimum...and if he ISN'T so smart, then his tuition will be as costly for him as mine was for me. In either case...his mistakes will be his own...and he will learn from them going forward.

I am an avid reader...and I've read every serious handicapping work that has been published during the last 37 years. As I now look back at my horseplaying life...it occurs to me that I could have put that reading time to much better use.
__________________
"It frustrates me to be wrong when I know I'm right."
-- Moliere

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-28-2017 at 07:24 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #22
jasperson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Worth,Texas
Posts: 572
Rep Power: 11 jasperson is on a distinguished road
Diagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
While it's true that certain handicapping books contain nuggets of information which could prove helpful for the beginner...it's also true that these same books contain enough misinformation to do the novice player more harm than good. The bad thing about being a beginner is that he can't distinguish the useful nuggets from the unsubstantiated claims...and, consequently, he can be easily led astray.

There is no real need for handicapping books in today's wagering landscape. The beginner should instead open a modest account at the ADW of his choice...thus securing for himself the day's past-performances at near-zero cost. After that...he can proceed with his horse-betting education at his own pace, without any negative influence from the misinformed people around him. If he is smart, then he will make sure that his "tuition costs" are kept to a minimum...and if he ISN'T so smart, then his tuition will be as costly for him as mine was for me. In either case...his mistakes will be his own...and he will learn from them going forward.

I am an avid reader...and I've read every serious handicapping work that has been published during the last 37 years. As I now look back at my horseplaying life...it occurs to me that I could have put that reading time to much better use.
I have to disagree. The book I recommended "SCIENTIFIC HANDICAPPING" Written in1963 covered most of the handicapping factors that I use today.
Speed
pace
class
form
weight
trainer
jockey
horse's appearance in the paddock and on the track
work outs
trouble
They had examples of how to compute speed figure and pace figures They had par times and parallel time charts way before Andy Beyers and Brohamer. The book was well written and easy to understand and I am sure it they were using their methods prior to 1963 they were winners. Granted we have better speed and pace figures now, but they were way ahead of the game then. I think if you had read this book you would recommend it to any beginning handicapper.
jasperson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #23
AndyC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,592
Rep Power: 10 AndyC will become famous soon enoughAndyC will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperson View Post
I have to disagree. The book I recommended "SCIENTIFIC HANDICAPPING" Written in1963 covered most of the handicapping factors that I use today.
Speed
pace
class
form
weight
trainer
jockey
horse's appearance in the paddock and on the track
work outs
trouble
They had examples of how to compute speed figure and pace figures They had par times and parallel time charts way before Andy Beyers and Brohamer. The book was well written and easy to understand and I am sure it they were using their methods prior to 1963 they were winners. Granted we have better speed and pace figures now, but they were way ahead of the game then. I think if you had read this book you would recommend it to any beginning handicapper.
I have to agree with Thaskalos. Most handicapping books can yield a few bits of good information and a lot of misinformation. I think it is essential that a new gambler have a strong understanding of statistics and probability before diving into the data to make betting decisions.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
thaskalos
"Awake!"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 20,059
Rep Power: 38 thaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperson View Post
I have to disagree. The book I recommended "SCIENTIFIC HANDICAPPING" Written in1963 covered most of the handicapping factors that I use today.
Speed
pace
class
form
weight
trainer
jockey
horse's appearance in the paddock and on the track
work outs
trouble
They had examples of how to compute speed figure and pace figures They had par times and parallel time charts way before Andy Beyers and Brohamer. The book was well written and easy to understand and I am sure it they were using their methods prior to 1963 they were winners. Granted we have better speed and pace figures now, but they were way ahead of the game then. I think if you had read this book you would recommend it to any beginning handicapper.
"Which book..." questions get asked often here, and the same book-recommendations are given each time. And yet, these questions continue to be asked going forward...as if some "new recommendation" could perhaps provide the horse-betting puzzle's "missing pieces". If only things were that simple...

The only real "shortcut" that I've ever found in the world of gambling is the acquisition of a true mentor...someone who actually embodies the qualities that the floundering player is trying to develop within himself. Such a person may not even have to offer any "earth-shattering" advice at all. Just the conclusive proof of his EXISTENCE often gives all the motivation one needs in order to embark on his own journey through the horse-betting minefield. Because, while the "knowledge" is out there, the "motivation" seems to be lacking...and not just in the world of gambling. Look at how much "expert advice" exists today on the topics of "nutrition and fitness". And yet...that pesky obesity problem continues to grow among us.
__________________
"It frustrates me to be wrong when I know I'm right."
-- Moliere

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-30-2017 at 03:05 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2017, 11:42 AM   #25
bisket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,078
Rep Power: 12 bisket is on a distinguished road
The biggest revolution in modern handicapping is over course Beyer Speed Figures. I don't think a newbie can just go straight to Beyer's books. I think the best foundation for a new player is still Ainslie's Complete guide. If you start there you can get a better grasp of Beyer. From this point you can move onto pace data and other modern data. This is my history of development and I don't think a Handicapper can put data in proper perspective unless he understands the evolution of the data. Along with the understanding of data a player needs to develop a working knowledge of training methods. The person who had the most influence on my development always told me to learn how train and own a runner. This knowledge leads to knowing whether a horse is capable of winning today along with distinguishing whether he's fast enough to win. I don't play often enough to win trying to outsmart other speed handicappers. My method of winning these days is to use my knowledge of data to know when to bet against it.

Last edited by bisket; 10-31-2017 at 11:44 AM.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #26
Redboard
$2 Showbettor
 
Redboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The Villages
Posts: 1,306
Rep Power: 6 Redboard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
"Which book..." questions get asked often here, and the same book-recommendations are given each time. And yet, these questions continue to be asked going forward...as if some "new recommendation" could perhaps provide the horse-betting puzzle's "missing pieces". If only things were that simple...

The only real "shortcut" that I've ever found in the world of gambling is the acquisition of a true mentor...someone who actually embodies the qualities that the floundering player is trying to develop within himself. Such a person may not even have to offer any "earth-shattering" advice at all. Just the conclusive proof of his EXISTENCE often gives all the motivation one needs in order to embark on his own journey through the horse-betting minefield. Because, while the "knowledge" is out there, the "motivation" seems to be lacking...and not just in the world of gambling. Look at how much "expert advice" exists today on the topics of "nutrition and fitness". And yet...that pesky obesity problem continues to grow among us.
Of course a mentor that has played for decades would be a good thing to have. But where does one find these mentors? My question had to do with someone who is brand new and doesn't know what a speed figure or class drop, is.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2017, 12:10 AM   #27
thaskalos
"Awake!"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 20,059
Rep Power: 38 thaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to allthaskalos is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Of course a mentor that has played for decades would be a good thing to have. But where does one find these mentors? My question had to do with someone who is brand new and doesn't know what a speed figure or class drop, is.
In that case...I suggest youtube. Succinct, and to the point.
__________________
"It frustrates me to be wrong when I know I'm right."
-- Moliere
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #28
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast
 
Aerocraft67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 283
Rep Power: 9 Aerocraft67 is on a distinguished road
I threw in the vote for Eng's "For Dummies" entry. Not terribly sexy but doesn't adhere to any gimmick and lays it all out for people new to the game. I've also read the Davidowitz and Crist books; they were more useful after I played for a while. Even now the Davidowitz book kind of rambles like an old man telling tales rather than a primer for the track; the good info is buried and seems outmoded by stats that point out the same things like key races. But it's probably the most comprehensive tome out there. Going exotic right out of the gate captivated me and led me astray as a beginner, although Crist's book is a very good treatise on that topic. Eng covers all the basics and still serves as a good reference for stuff I skipped like conditions. I'd like to check out Free's 101 book, that could be a good suggestion, I just haven't read it.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #29
davew
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,402
Rep Power: 15 davew will become famous soon enoughdavew will become famous soon enough
for the people who do not like reading books, I suggest a DVD set of one of the daily racing form handicapping expos to get a handle on types of factors some people take into consideration when betting.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #30
KPMats10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 44
Rep Power: 0 KPMats10 is on a distinguished road
The first two I would read are Handicapping 101 and then The Handicapper's Condition Book (didn't see that one listed).
KPMats10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
What Will Sports Betting offered at Tracks/via ADW do to your play?
I will bet a lot more sports, less racing - 15.32%
17 Votes
I will bet some sports, but racing is number one to me - 30.63%
34 Votes
It won't affect my play at all - 54.05%
60 Votes
Total Votes: 111
Non-members may not vote on this poll.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.