Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs
 
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 40,042
Rep Power: 60 cj is just really nicecj is just really nicecj is just really nicecj is just really nice
Betting with an Edge --- Mike Maloney




https://shop.drf.com/thoroughbred-wagering

Mike talks about it here:

http://www.drf.com/blogs/drf-players...vember-14-2017

I've read some of this already. I think even Gus will like it!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
CincyHorseplayer
Registered User
 
CincyHorseplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio
Posts: 4,858
Rep Power: 15 CincyHorseplayer is on a distinguished road
Bought it! Thanks for the tip CJ.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
thaskalos
"Are you talking to ME?"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,690
Rep Power: 36 thaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post



https://shop.drf.com/thoroughbred-wagering

Mike talks about it here:

http://www.drf.com/blogs/drf-players...vember-14-2017

I've read some of this already. I think even Gus will like it!
I will supply a thorough book-review as soon as I read it.
__________________
"My object in living is to unite
My avocation and my vocation
As my two eyes make one in sight.
Only when love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and the future's sakes."

-- Robert Frost
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
detective
Registered User
 
detective's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Del Mar Calif
Posts: 63
Rep Power: 7 detective is on a distinguished road
betting with an edge

Hi, Any one that has the book can you tell me if there is any good handicapping methods or money management or is the book just babble about this and that...Thanks
detective is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs
 
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 40,042
Rep Power: 60 cj is just really nicecj is just really nicecj is just really nicecj is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by detective View Post
Hi, Any one that has the book can you tell me if there is any good handicapping methods or money management or is the book just babble about this and that...Thanks
Not sure why it would be just babble about this and that, but I'm sure thask will give an honest assessment.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
Whosonfirst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 719
Rep Power: 10 Whosonfirst will become famous soon enoughWhosonfirst will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by detective View Post
Hi, Any one that has the book can you tell me if there is any good handicapping methods or money management or is the book just babble about this and that...Thanks
Listening to the above podcast gives some insights. Sounds like one chapter on the mentality needed to be pro level gambler. And how to address that with prospective spouse and gf or bf. Pretty sure I've not seen that before.
__________________
Predicting the outcome of a horse race is an activity that exerts continuing appeal to the extraordinarily opulent. It is intellectually lucrative albeit fiscally ruinous.-Richard Epstein

Last edited by Whosonfirst; 11-29-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Whosonfirst is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
CincyHorseplayer
Registered User
 
CincyHorseplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio
Posts: 4,858
Rep Power: 15 CincyHorseplayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by detective View Post
Hi, Any one that has the book can you tell me if there is any good handicapping methods or money management or is the book just babble about this and that...Thanks
Forget yet another handicapping the races book. We need more "playing the game" in real life and real time books.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
thaskalos
"Are you talking to ME?"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,690
Rep Power: 36 thaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nice
The problem with our game is that the handicapping books don't turn much of a profit for their authors these days...and the monetary incentive simply isn't there for the emergence of a truly "revolutionary" handicapping work. Nor are the game's mutuel pools large enough to withstand the radical change that a truly "groundbreaking" handicapping book would bring about.

The handicapping books that we read state at the outset the "disclaimer" that there are no "secrets" to the handicapping process of the expert player...but that simply isn't the case. OF COURSE there are "handicapping secrets" that the expert players use! But these handicapping insights must remain secrets...because the expert players can make much more money by using them at the betting windows, than by writing about them.
__________________
"My object in living is to unite
My avocation and my vocation
As my two eyes make one in sight.
Only when love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and the future's sakes."

-- Robert Frost
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #9
VigorsTheGrey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,575
Rep Power: 6 VigorsTheGrey will become famous soon enoughVigorsTheGrey will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The problem with our game is that the handicapping books don't turn much of a profit for their authors these days...and the monetary incentive simply isn't there for the emergence of a truly "revolutionary" handicapping work. Nor are the game's mutuel pools large enough to withstand the radical change that a truly "groundbreaking" handicapping book would bring about.

The handicapping books that we read state at the outset the "disclaimer" that there are no "secrets" to the handicapping process of the expert player...but that simply isn't the case. OF COURSE there are "handicapping secrets" that the expert players use! But these handicapping insights must remain secrets...because the expert players can make much more money by using them at the betting windows, than by writing about them.
I don't like to be cynical, but some deeply held feeling I have informs me that even the so called experts are subjected to the internal shenanigans in this sport....a sport where humans train and control the movements of horses and not the other way around...the best horse often does not win...the experts here are clearly in league with the insiders and the art of skilled handicapping is only one part of the theatrical scenery and often not the decisive one...the self- interested nature of human beings, being what it is...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 11-29-2017 at 10:12 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #10
AndyC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,557
Rep Power: 10 AndyC will become famous soon enoughAndyC will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
I don't like to be cynical, but some deeply held feeling I have informs me that even the so called experts are subjected to the internal shenanigans in this sport....a sport where humans train and control the movements of horses and not the other way around...the best horse often does not win...the experts here are clearly in league with the insiders and the art of skilled handicapping is only one part of the theatrical scenery and often not the decisive one...the self- interested nature of human beings, being what it is...
That's why handicapping the humans is every bit as important as handicapping the horses.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs
 
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 40,042
Rep Power: 60 cj is just really nicecj is just really nicecj is just really nicecj is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
That's why handicapping the humans is every bit as important as handicapping the horses.
Yep, and in some races even more important.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #12
JustRalph
Disgruntled Horseplayer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Now in Houston
Posts: 39,848
Rep Power: 59 JustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really niceJustRalph is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
That's why handicapping the humans is every bit as important as handicapping the horses.
One of my greatest weaknesses when I was playing every day. And I hated it
__________________
So tired of winning
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #13
VigorsTheGrey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,575
Rep Power: 6 VigorsTheGrey will become famous soon enoughVigorsTheGrey will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yep, and in some races even more important.
Which of course begs the question of how exactly that is done.
Sometimes, one can pick up stuff in the walking ring as trainers interact with jockey...I saw a video of Bob Baffert in the walking ring on Breeder Cup race...clearly he favored Collected over Arrogate as he was legging Martin Garcia up...what others ways can we handicap the trainers....?

Sometimes the presence of an entry may signal a higher intent to win with at least one of the runners...a friend of mine said that if you see connections all dressed up, (like they are ready to pose for pictures) that is a good sign, what have you noticed...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #14
thaskalos
"Are you talking to ME?"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,690
Rep Power: 36 thaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nicethaskalos is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Which of course begs the question of how exactly that is done.
Sometimes, one can pick up stuff in the walking ring as trainers interact with jockey...I saw a video of Bob Baffert in the walking ring on Breeder Cup race...clearly he favored Collected over Arrogate as he was legging Martin Garcia up...what others ways can we handicap the trainers....?

Sometimes the presence of an entry may signal a higher intent to win with at least one of the runners...a friend of mine said that if you see connections all dressed up, (like they are ready to pose for pictures) that is a good sign, what have you noticed...?
A friend of mine learned how to read lips...so he could decipher the conversations between the trainers and the jockeys in the paddock.
__________________
"My object in living is to unite
My avocation and my vocation
As my two eyes make one in sight.
Only when love and need are one,
And the work is play for mortal stakes,
Is the deed ever really done
For Heaven and the future's sakes."

-- Robert Frost
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2017, 06:42 PM   #15
VigorsTheGrey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3,575
Rep Power: 6 VigorsTheGrey will become famous soon enoughVigorsTheGrey will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
A friend of mine learned how to read lips...so he could decipher the conversations between the trainers and the jockeys in the paddock.
If I didn't know you better Gus I would think you are putting me on...I can only imagine... "Now remember, break real slow, then go to the front real hard and open up 3 or 4 right away, take him wide and do only enough to get third...Clem and I are singled to his horse only..."
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Is adding 30 to 60 feet to the run up for the Pegasus a good idea?
Yes, good idea - 50.00%
7 Votes
No, bad idea - 50.00%
7 Votes
Total Votes: 14
Non-members may not vote on this poll.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2017 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.