Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
Fratman

Scary stats about Racing

Thought this was interesting and may explain some of the strange moves tracks are making -- not that I agree with many of them................

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...#disqus_thread
Fratman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Fratman

Scroll up for article -- sorry first time starter......................
Fratman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I think their numbers for purses and percentage of money won by super trainers might be flawed.

They seem to be using "total available purse money"

Does Pletcher run many for 5-8k claiming at small tracks?

I don’t know anymore. But if the Super trainers aren’t trying to win or not entering horses at those levels....then those purses shouldn’t be considered. I’m sure that would bring their percentage of purse winnings way up.

I really don’t follow the races enough anymore.....but those big boys aren’t running 5k claimers often, correct me if I’m wrong....
Old 10-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
Track Phantom

This is not a bad idea. Stop making the payouts so top heavy, but heavy enough to need to win. Allow for some of that money to trickle down and you'd have more involvement from the fringes.

"In trying to look at it from both perspectives, my thought is why not pay back to last but also add $200 for every horse you beat? You reward the guy who wins the race, beating 11 horses; and the guy who finishes fifth or sixth might get enough to help his training bill. My whole purpose with this is to get churn for the owner. The game is expensive."
Old 10-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I think their numbers for purses and percentage of money won by super trainers might be flawed.

They seem to be using "total available purse money"

Does Pletcher run many for 5-8k claiming at small tracks?

I don’t know anymore. But if the Super trainers aren’t trying to win or not entering horses at those levels....then those purses shouldn’t be considered. I’m sure that would bring their percentage of purse winnings way up.

I really don’t follow the races enough anymore.....but those big boys aren’t running 5k claimers often, correct me if I’m wrong....
I think there definition of super trainers includes some guys that are big time claiming trainers. Didn't it just go by number of starts on the year? I read this a week ago or so. I'll check it again.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
This is not a bad idea. Stop making the payouts so top heavy, but heavy enough to need to win. Allow for some of that money to trickle down and you'd have more involvement from the fringes.

"In trying to look at it from both perspectives, my thought is why not pay back to last but also add $200 for every horse you beat? You reward the guy who wins the race, beating 11 horses; and the guy who finishes fifth or sixth might get enough to help his training bill. My whole purpose with this is to get churn for the owner. The game is expensive."
Could not agree more with everything you said.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: