Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
magwell

Boxing

Boxing is officially dead after these last two PPV fights, reminds me of how men are now wearing women's pants now days showing ankle bone and wearing make up .....
Old 09-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
CincyHorseplayer

Great fight too. We were going to get a rematch no matter what the outcome and they pull that BS draw.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
Marshall Bennett

Boxing's been dead to me for about 20 years now. Particularly the heavyweight division.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Great fight too. We were going to get a rematch no matter what the outcome and they pull that BS draw.
I don't follow boxing like I used to, but BS decisions have been around forever.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #5
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
I don't follow boxing like I used to, but BS decisions have been around forever.
I've been following since I was a teenager but they seem to be even more commonplace nowadays. Because it has been so egregious in the last 20 years IMO it has opened the door wide for other fight sports. Boxing has nobody to blame but itself.

The other thing is the 10 point must scoring system. In close fights judges split hairs instead of scoring a round 10-10. It leads to these bizarre results IMO. 10-10 scoring is allowed but rarely ever utilized. If you had a 10 round bout that was 100-100 it would have been either a fight of the year candidate or both fighters should be docked purse money!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
ronsmac

Quote:
Agreed, especially in the Don King era of the 70s thru the 90s. Some of the biggest fights of the year were total fix jobs. Ali-Norton III, Whitaker- Jose Luis Ramirez, Whitaker-Chavez, Lewis-Holyfield I are just a few. I'd be up all night if I listed every terrible decision I've seen.

Last edited by ronsmac; 09-20-2017 at 09:08 PM.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 05:19 AM   #7
Marshall Bennett

To this day I feel Foreman was afraid of hurting Ali in Zaire. Ali was viewed almost as a god by the natives there. Foreman obviously became transformed being surrounded by it while training there. Had he destroyed Ali as he did Frazier, would he even have made it out of the arena alive? His only hope was to win with a tactical strategy using "boxing" skills, which totally contradicted his game and style. While I wouldn't go as far as to say he threw the fight, his fear for his safety seemed to play a role in approaching it.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell View Post
Boxing is officially dead after these last two PPV fights, reminds me of how men are now wearing women's pants now days showing ankle bone and wearing make up .....
How can you say boxing is dead after the Mayweather-McGregor farce got 5 million PPV buys at $89.95 each?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #9
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
To this day I feel Foreman was afraid of hurting Ali in Zaire. Ali was viewed almost as a god by the natives there. Foreman obviously became transformed being surrounded by it while training there. Had he destroyed Ali as he did Frazier, would he even have made it out of the arena alive? His only hope was to win with a tactical strategy using "boxing" skills, which totally contradicted his game and style. While I wouldn't go as far as to say he threw the fight, his fear for his safety seemed to play a role in approaching it.
I never heard anyone say that before. I disagree. First of all, the minister-like George we all love today, is a lot different than the really nasty guy he was back then. I remember seeing Ali in an interview years later how it was all about styles. How come he had such problems with Frazier, and such an easy time with Foreman while Foreman destroyed Frazier?

Foreman and Frazier were somewhat similar in style, and Foreman dominated because he was so much bigger. Ali was way to fast for Foreman. While Frazier was no speed demon, he was faster than Foreman and a smaller target for Ali.

I don't automatically rubber stamp athletes who participated in events because we who watch sporting event have a different perspective. But in this case, I agree.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #10
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I never heard anyone say that before. I disagree. First of all, the minister-like George we all love today, is a lot different than the really nasty guy he was back then. I remember seeing Ali in an interview years later how it was all about styles. How come he had such problems with Frazier, and such an easy time with Foreman while Foreman destroyed Frazier?

Foreman and Frazier were somewhat similar in style, and Foreman dominated because he was so much bigger. Ali was way to fast for Foreman. While Frazier was no speed demon, he was faster than Foreman and a smaller target for Ali.

I don't automatically rubber stamp athletes who participated in events because we who watch sporting event have a different perspective. But in this case, I agree.
Ali beating Foreman was all about rope-a-dope. True that Foreman was slower than Frazier. Anyone with Frazier's style leading with his chin and taking two to land one isn't going to work well with George Foreman. Also true that the young George was 180 degrees different that the current one.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
How can you say boxing is dead after the Mayweather-McGregor farce got 5 million PPV buys at $89.95 each?
It was all hype and proves my point, it was a clown hyped fight made popular by media and smart promotion......IMO