Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Bob Stoops retiring immediately

Say what you will about his losing big games in recent years, but they'll be rejoicing in Austin and Stillwater, at a minimum.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
ElKabong

I suppose he chose June to retire so he can basically choose his successor. If he had quit in January the BOR & Boren would have grabbed the steering wheel, possibly looking outside the program. His June retirement killed that option

No rejoicing in Austin. Was looking forward to Herman vs the Stooper for a few years. Would have been fun

Last edited by ElKabong; 06-08-2017 at 12:03 PM.
ElKabong is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
I suppose he chose June to retire so he can basically choose his successor. If he had quit in January the BOR & Boren would have grabbed the steering wheel, possibly looking outside the program. His June retirement killed that option

No rejoicing in Austin. Was looking forward to Herman vs the Stooper for a few years. Would have been fun
I would guess most in Austin are glad to see him go. He's had a virtual hammerlock on the Big 12. He's won 10, Texas two I think. Nobody else has more than two during his tenure that I can remember.

I've heard the retirement has to do with his health. The timing wasn't intentional, just when it happened to play out. I heard it from a pretty reliable source but you'll never hear that reported officially.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
ElKabong

Stoops had more respect among UT fans than hatred. We poked fun at his insistance of keeping the likes of Mixon over the years, but as a coach he had respect from his opponents (unlike Switzer). His expressive manner on the sidelines made him an easy target for fun and ridicule (as well as his propensity for big losses) but he was a very good HC. No doubt about that, and other programs love the challenge

If he has health issues I'm glad he's getting out on his own terms.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Stoops had more respect among UT fans than hatred. We poked fun at his insistance of keeping the likes of Mixon over the years, but as a coach he had respect from his opponents (unlike Switzer). His expressive manner on the sidelines made him an easy target for fun and ridicule (as well as his propensity for big losses) but he was a very good HC. No doubt about that, and other programs love the challenge

If he has health issues I'm glad he's getting out on his own terms.
I never meant to imply UT fans hated him or anything. Just he was a very good coach that made it tough on other B12 teams, that is all. It will be interesting here. The OU fans are never happy. There have been many calling for his firing for years after any big loss. It is ridiculous. We'll see if the miss him sooner rather than later the next few years.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #6
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

He had more conference titles than home losses during his tenure...10-9.
Still, he seemed to get thoroughly beaten in many big postseason games.

I say it's cuz that conference is a cut below the other big ones when it comes to football.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:29 PM   #7
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I never meant to imply UT fans hated him or anything. Just he was a very good coach that made it tough on other B12 teams, that is all. It will be interesting here. The OU fans are never happy. There have been many calling for his firing for years after any big loss. It is ridiculous. We'll see if the miss him sooner rather than later the next few years.
Two OU alums I worked with disliked his action early on when he basically told the BOR and alums that he would leave for Florida whenever he wanted. That was right after they beat Florida St for the Natty in 2000. They loved his results, but didn't like the distance he put between them early on

as years went on the relationship between him and the fan base seemed to solidify, at least from afar

He would get outcoached more often than not vs good teams the past 5-6 years it seemed. I thought when Mikey came back to OU from Arizona that would change but it didn't. A few years running, his teams should have crushed UT but damn near got beat. And those were really bad TEXAS teams he barely squeezed by
Old 06-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
We'll see if they miss him sooner rather than later the next few years.
Your handicapping prowess is only outdone by your wittiness.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run View Post
Your handicapping prowess is only outdone by your wittiness.
Took people long enough
Old 06-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
ElKabong

Quote:
Took people long enough
Since one of your words in that referenced sentence was spelled incorrectly, I kind of let it go. I figured Hoofed in the chest would chime in...
Old 06-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Since one of your words in that referenced sentence was spelled incorrectly, I kind of let it go. I figured Hoofed in the chest would chime in...
That is a typo, damn phone.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
ElKabong

Quote:
That is a typo, damn phone.
Same here. My iPad is even worse.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #13
maddog42

Lincoln Riley is off to a helluva start in recruiting. 2 top 50 players and many very good ones.