Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

Clunkin' Up

Who do you guys think are the horses the will be clunkin' up passing tired horses in the stretch that can finish in the super at a price. The one I like nobody talks about is Patch. He has fast final fractions, Buckpasser in the X, and an improvement seems likely. Wonder how the whole one eyet thing effects him in a 20 horse field of traffic tho.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
Andrick

If he gets in, which I'm guessing he will, Lookin At Lee is likely to be a popular choice as a clunk up candidate.
Andrick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #3
1GCFAN

J Boys Echo for me if Albarado rides. Son of Mineshaft.
1GCFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
f2tornado

I'm skeptical this will be a clunk up year given the class of front runners and pacers. How about the anti-clunk up? State of Honor looks like a big odds horse that conceivably has just enough staying power to hit the board.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #5
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GCFAN View Post
J Boys Echo for me if Albarado rides. Son of Mineshaft.
take out his perfect set up gotham and he is so average
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
Racey
Mamma Kimbo

lookin at Lee

got the worst ride actually comical Contrereas has to come off.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:45 PM   #7
letswastemoney

I'm actually considering Gormley.

Yes, he had a total setup in the Santa Anita Derby and he's arguably slow. But he doesn't need to win. He just needs to come late and squeak out a 3rd.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2017, 03:03 AM   #8
plainolebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racey View Post
got the worst ride actually comical Contrereas has to come off.
Contreras rode for a month or two at Santa Anita, not a first tier rider IMO.

Good set of clunker uppers were Limehouse and Imperialism behind Smarty Jones and Lion Hearted. They pumped the tri and super way up.

Gormley will have an experienced rider and trainer, some tactical speed going for him. He hasn't run real fast but I think his only bad race was against Mastery. Sure wouldn't shock me to see him in the money.

sorry for the stream of consciousness post, I'm 74 and fall asleep between thoughts. It's also rained nearly continuously for 6 months, well over 60".
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #9
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post

Yes, he had a total setup in the Santa Anita Derby and he's arguably slow. But he doesn't need to win. He just needs to come late and squeak out a 3rd.
I like this one, too.

When I was looking at cj's TimeForm chart for the Derby Trail, what jumped out at me was that there are only a handful of names that keep appearing from the start, and Gormley is one of them. These are runners that have kept it together for six or seven months, have faced and sometimes defeated some of the best at that particular time, and are still in the mix. I'm not suggesting that the short list of potential winners has to come from this group, but if you're going vertical and you leave one out, you'll be kicking yourself for whiffing on a logical choice. An un-sexy Santa Anita Derby winner? What's not to like?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post

The SAD was a hot pace and he did win but the lane time was awfully slow. Further, most SAD to Derby winners do so when winning the SAD in a sub 1:48 time. I'm inclined to toss this one from the win column but will find a place on my trifecta wager for him. He has a Derby winning rider and is from female family 23b. This family has produced upsets in I'll Have Another, Mine That Bird, Lil E Tee as well as chalk with Winning Colors and Affirmed. Credit to Stanley Caris for discovering this quirky family angle.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply