Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

Gunnevera or McCraken

I feel that at least one of these will finish in the derby super. Very similar horses who do you like better and why?

I would choose Gunnevera, he did look like he lost some weight last time out, so I hope he isnt wearing down but his Florida Derby 3rd was sneaky good and McCraken couldnt catch Irap.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Run Nicholas Run
Veteran

gunnevera for myself between the two
as I like the closing style and rather have
castellano than BJ hernandez
Run Nicholas Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
letswastemoney

Gunnevera has a better distance pedigree, and will probably go off at higher odds.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
CincyHorseplayer

Everybody covered the peripherals well. I just like that Gunnevera is a seasoned competitor, has always run a decent race, has agreeable numbers, and hasn't missed any training. 90% sure I am betting this horse as of this moment. I think the crowd will be on Irish War Cry, Always Dreaming, and because of the history of success of the race Gormley. Will give solid odds on G. Ready to roll!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
PowerUpPaynter

Gunnevera reminds me of Ice Box, I just see him coming late. I can't see a scenario where he dont land in the top 4 and I love him to place. I will definitely be holding an exacta ticket of about 5 long shots over him.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
Mc990

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Gunnevera reminds me of Ice Box, I just see him coming late. I can't see a scenario where he dont land in the top 4 and I love him to place. I will definitely be holding an exacta ticket of about 5 long shots over him.
Are you at all concerned that the Fountain of Youth fried him? Monster effort that early as a 3 year old.... Doesn't sit well with me.

He definitely had some circumstances (mostly post position) against him last out but regardless, he bounced hard. The FOY being such a dramatic top for him, I'm taking a decidedly more negative view going forward.
Mc990 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
f2tornado

Gunnevera's TFUS number only slipped a few points last out suggesting the FOY might not have been a big bona fide top. He ran decent fractions in the final 3/8th and has a rider I trust. I will be using him Derby day but not as much as others. I suspect he will need a pace meltdown to win it and many front runners and pacers have held up very well through 9F this year.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #8
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc990 View Post
Are you at all concerned that the Fountain of Youth fried him? Monster effort that early as a 3 year old.... Doesn't sit well with me.

He definitely had some circumstances (mostly post position) against him last out but regardless, he bounced hard. The FOY being such a dramatic top for him, I'm taking a decidedly more negative view going forward.
I thought he looked like he lost weight when I saw him at the Florida Derby, but his 3rd was sneaky good 4 of the 5 horses that were in the front held and he still managed to close for 3rd. I like that 3rd much better than McCraken's
Old 04-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
yankeelpn

Ill Box Gunnever and McCraken.
yankeelpn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
arw629
First Time Gelding

I want no part of McCracken. Gunnevera had no chance last time with the poor post that I'm willing to forgive. If I can get 10-1 or more he might be my pick pending on post.
I'm also betting Irap.

Last edited by arw629; 04-10-2017 at 04:54 PM.
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

Gunnevera was either the best horse, or the second best horse in the Florida Derby. I couldn't tell you.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629 View Post
I want no part of McCracken. Gunnevera had no chance last time with the poor post that I'm willing to forgive. If I can get 10-1 or more he might be my pick pending on post.
I'm also betting Irap.
Iv read way too much Irap love since Saturday.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #13
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
I thought he looked like he lost weight when I saw him at the Florida Derby, but his 3rd was sneaky good 4 of the 5 horses that were in the front held and he still managed to close for 3rd. I like that 3rd much better than McCraken's
A furious finishing 3rd in a fast race is better than a straight up outrun flatulence in a slow race!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 PM   #14
Dahoss9698
Veteran

I actually love McCracken's race in the Bluegrass and cannot wait to bet him in the Derby, as long as he gets in.

First, he missed his prep (TB Derby) because of the ankle strain and also missed about 2 weeks of training. Second, he ran much better than it looked IMO. Was way closer than usual because of the slow pace. Dropped back to last around the turn, made a solid move into the stretch and wasn't beaten much at all.

Third, he's 3 for 3 at Churchill. Lastly, his trainer came up under Carl Nafzger who was a master at targeting a race. He understood the value of a prep and not squeezing the lemon dry before the big one.

I anticipate a much tighter McCracken for the Derby and think we'll see a peak performance by him.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2017, 12:16 AM   #15
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

youre talking about a horse that couldnt make up any lengths in the stretch against a maiden who was running on the wrong lead....hes all yours
Mr. Pick 5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply