Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
mainardi
Let's Pick Some Winners!

Going to Monmouth-Saratoga in Late August

Finally! Being semi-retired (i.e., old enough not to look too hard for a job) means that I can get around to that Summer trip I've had planned for at least a decade! I'm going to be at Monmouth from August 25-27 and Saratoga from August 28-31 (and maybe Sept 1), and I'm open to "local advice" on the best places to hang out at each track. If anybody wants to meet up, just let me know and we'll make plans.

Joe Mainardi
www.ponypicker.com
mainardi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainardi View Post
Finally! Being semi-retired (i.e., old enough not to look too hard for a job) means that I can get around to that Summer trip I've had planned for at least a decade! I'm going to be at Monmouth from August 25-27 and Saratoga from August 28-31 (and maybe Sept 1), and I'm open to "local advice" on the best places to hang out at each track. If anybody wants to meet up, just let me know and we'll make plans.
If you're going to Saratoga during Travers week it is never too soon to reserve a place to stay, and if you are looking for a seat you may or may not find one at a reasonable price. The clubhouse is extra, but I find it is less crowded enough that I am more comfortable there.

You might think about breakfast at Saratoga. It's only a fair buffet, it's overpriced but you get to watch some good horses work out, with commentary, and your parking is free if you leave by 10. Maybe worth doing once.

Monmouth is usually not overly crowded except on Iselin or Haskell days. It has gotten more of a run down feel in the last couple of years. Usually plenty of free grandstand seats.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
If you're going to Saratoga during Travers week it is never too soon to reserve a place to stay, and if you are looking for a seat you may or may not find one at a reasonable price. The clubhouse is extra, but I find it is less crowded enough that I am more comfortable there.

You might think about breakfast at Saratoga. It's only a fair buffet, it's overpriced but you get to watch some good horses work out, with commentary, and your parking is free if you leave by 10. Maybe worth doing once.

Monmouth is usually not overly crowded except on Iselin or Haskell days. It has gotten more of a run down feel in the last couple of years. Usually plenty of free grandstand seats.
Fyi individual seats for toga haven't even went on sale yet
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Both places allow you to bring in coolers with food and beer. Saratoga cans only, monmouth doesnt matter.

After the haskell monmouth really doesnt get very crowded depending on what event they are hosting. The 27th is NJ bred day and they have a giveaway. Past years has been things like cooler bags or a t shirt. I dont recall it ever being that packed. Recommend the picnic area, and I will most likely be there if you want a personal tour.

Saratoga also loses steam after the travers in terms of the place being packed. You will be there early in the week and should be able to enjoy every inch of the place. Gates open at 7am to allow you to bring in your stuff and get a picnic table in the backyard, my preferred place to sit. Try to get one near the walking path. They kick you out at 10am or something like that and open up again at like 11 on the weekdays I think. Go see the horses train in the morning and walk around while its quiet.

Triangle diner is my favorite breakfast sport. the main drag and the town in general is all about horse racing so it is worth doing that on tuesday with it being the dark day. Hamlet and Ghost is a fantastic dinner place on caroline. The reserve nightclub on monday night is a great place to see jockeys dropping it like its hot literally everyone is there with the next day off.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
mainardi
Let's Pick Some Winners!

Thanks for the info... sorry for the delay in responding, as I forgot to set the email reminder for replies. It looks like I'll just miss the Travers (looking forward to the smaller crowds), and I decided to stay in Glens Falls (I'll apply the money I save on the room and spend it on gas/food/wagers). Monmouth has been one of my favorite Summer tracks, so hopefully the action on the course will make up for any shortcomings in the stands.

Joe Mainardi
www.ponypicker.com
Old 04-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
tanner12oz

You'll enjoy toga..post a synopsis when you get back
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
mainardi
Let's Pick Some Winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
Both places allow you to bring in coolers with food and beer. Saratoga cans only, monmouth doesnt matter.

After the haskell monmouth really doesnt get very crowded depending on what event they are hosting. The 27th is NJ bred day and they have a giveaway. Past years has been things like cooler bags or a t shirt. I dont recall it ever being that packed. Recommend the picnic area, and I will most likely be there if you want a personal tour.

Saratoga also loses steam after the travers in terms of the place being packed. You will be there early in the week and should be able to enjoy every inch of the place. Gates open at 7am to allow you to bring in your stuff and get a picnic table in the backyard, my preferred place to sit. Try to get one near the walking path. They kick you out at 10am or something like that and open up again at like 11 on the weekdays I think. Go see the horses train in the morning and walk around while its quiet.

Triangle diner is my favorite breakfast sport. the main drag and the town in general is all about horse racing so it is worth doing that on tuesday with it being the dark day. Hamlet and Ghost is a fantastic dinner place on caroline. The reserve nightclub on monday night is a great place to see jockeys dropping it like its hot literally everyone is there with the next day off.
Good Stuff, Joe! I'll have to remember to bring my travel cooler! When it gets closer, I'll send a PM to get your contact info and we'll meet in the Monmouth picnic area. While roaming around Saratoga Springs, I'll make sure to check out The Reserve, as I can stay out late (I only have golf planned for Tuesday afternoon).

Joe Mainardi
www.ponypicker.com
Old 04-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #8
mainardi
Let's Pick Some Winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz View Post
You'll enjoy toga..post a synopsis when you get back
Will do... I might even post while I'm there (afraid I might forget what happened if I wait to long to post).

Joe Mainardi
www.ponypicker.com
Old 04-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #9
thespaah

Quote:
Thanks for the info... sorry for the delay in responding, as I forgot to set the email reminder for replies. It looks like I'll just miss the Travers (looking forward to the smaller crowds), and I decided to stay in Glens Falls (I'll apply the money I save on the room and spend it on gas/food/wagers). Monmouth has been one of my favorite Summer tracks, so hopefully the action on the course will make up for any shortcomings in the stands.
I have a couple friends in GF...They are coming down here ( NC) for the PGA Championship. Then I am headed to GF for a week for racing golf and beer.
I may be there the same time you are. Depends on when I decide to head up there.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #10
mainardi
Let's Pick Some Winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
I have a couple friends in GF...They are coming down here ( NC) for the PGA Championship. Then I am headed to GF for a week for racing golf and beer.
I may be there the same time you are. Depends on when I decide to head up there.
Thanks... maybe I'll see you there.

Joe Mainardi
www.ponypicker.com
Old 04-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
thespaah

Quote:
Thanks... maybe I'll see you there.
Now..If you're staying in Glens Falls.
If you like a good breakfast.
Try "Poopie's" DiManno Lunch on Lawrence St. The owner took this long standing staple over from his father some 30 years ago.
He does all of the cooking himself. The food is good. The prices reasonable.
For a few cocktails, go to Sully's Tavern on Maple St. The beer is cold, the food is excellent. When she is on duty in the kitchen, The owner, Bella, does much of the cooking herself. She makes one heckofa burger.
I have been going to this area my entire life. So I know where to go and where. not...BTW, if you plan on imbibing in Glens Falls, please be advised. This is the DWI capital of upstate NY. If its not within walking distance, take a cab. Oh , I understand the State government has given its "blessing" to Uber so they are now able to operate there,.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #12
mainardi
Let's Pick Some Winners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Now..If you're staying in Glens Falls.
If you like a good breakfast.
Try "Poopie's" DiManno Lunch on Lawrence St. The owner took this long standing staple over from his father some 30 years ago.
He does all of the cooking himself. The food is good. The prices reasonable.
For a few cocktails, go to Sully's Tavern on Maple St. The beer is cold, the food is excellent. When she is on duty in the kitchen, The owner, Bella, does much of the cooking herself. She makes one heckofa burger.
I have been going to this area my entire life. So I know where to go and where. not...BTW, if you plan on imbibing in Glens Falls, please be advised. This is the DWI capital of upstate NY. If its not within walking distance, take a cab. Oh , I understand the State government has given its "blessing" to Uber so they are now able to operate there,.
Thanks for the tips... and "walk or Uber" sounds like the wise choice!

Joe Mainardi
www.ponypicker.com
Old 04-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
thespaah

Quote:
Thanks for the tips... and "walk or Uber" sounds like the wise choice!
Been doing it that way for years..I would rather spend 10 or 15 bucks on a cab ride than $10K and night in the pokie