Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #1
mostpost

MLB Predictions Thread.

Post your MLB predictions here.
Division Winners; Wild Cards; Pennant winners; World Series winner.

Teams you think will surprise; teams that will disappoint.

Individually, who do you think will be the MVP in each league? Who will win the Cy Young. Who will be Rookie of the Year? Comeback Player of the Year? Most Improved? Biggest disappointment. Best Organization?

Weigh in on all of these questions or just the ones that interest you most.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
Jess Hawsen Arown

I tend to shy away from sports predictions (except for horse racing, of course). I find it negatively impacts my enjoyment of the season. I'm a Mets fan who expects a big dogfight with the Nats in the NL East.

I'm looking for surprises from the Diamondbacks and the Mariners. The Orioles pitching staff should kill any hope they might have had. The Reds pitching staff may cause them to challenge the Mets 120-loss record of 1962.

The Cubs and Indians are the best teams on paper, but scissors ALWAYS cuts paper.

Lets go with Yoenis for MVP and Thor for Cy Young. No prejudices there.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
MutuelClerk

I think the Astros will trade for a pretty good SP. Quintana/Archer and win the World Series. The Red Sox will miss the playoffs. My sleeper team is the Angels. I predict the season takes too long and a lot of the games will be boring. But hey, they sped up the IP. Yippee.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #4
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post

Teams you think will surprise; teams that will disappoint.
Agreed with someone else on the surprise - Diamondbacks, but only because they were amazingly awful last year. Being 80% as good as they were hyped to be a year ago will seem like a huge surprise after 2016.

Mets will disappoint. Half the rotation will be hurt, Harvey will be in the midst of some silly drama, and no Bartolo to smooth the rough seas and stabilize the staff.

Quote:
Individually, who do you think will be the MVP in each league? Who will win the Cy Young. Who will be Rookie of the Year? Comeback Player of the Year? Most Improved? Biggest disappointment. Best Organization?
AL MVP - Machado.

NL MVP - Bryant.

AL Cy Young - Tanaka.

NL Cy Young - Greinke.

AL RoY - Benintendi.

NL RoY - Swanson (it goes well with the AZ/Greinke motif elsewhere).

Comeback - Lincecum.

Most Improved - Lincecum.

Biggest Disappointment - Cespedes/Gary Sanchez

Best Organization - Isotopes.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Hawsen Arown View Post
I tend to shy away from sports predictions (except for horse racing, of course). I find it negatively impacts my enjoyment of the season. I'm a Mets fan who expects a big dogfight with the Nats in the NL East.

I'm looking for surprises from the Diamondbacks and the Mariners. The Orioles pitching staff should kill any hope they might have had. The Reds pitching staff may cause them to challenge the Mets 120-loss record of 1962.

The Cubs and Indians are the best teams on paper, but scissors ALWAYS cuts paper.

I think Gsellman can a good year and if we get anything from Wheeler. Mets should have a good year.Dont worry too much about Washington because in the end they will Lie down like the dogs they are.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
I think Gsellman can a good year and if we get anything from Wheeler. Mets should have a good year.Dont worry too much about Washington because in the end they will Lie down like the dogs they are.
Love the Gsellman, but if Wheeler is comeback player of the year, G-man may be relegated to spot starter.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post

AL Cy Young - Tanaka.

NL Cy Young - Greinke.
Tanaka has proven to be an under achiever and overrated imo.

I like deGrom with the Mets and Kluber with the Indians. Probably longshots as well, but then those expected to win Cy Young seldom do either.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
mostpost

Quote:

The Reds are going to lose a lot of games (serves the dirty commies right), but I doubt they will lose 120. Maybe you were thinking of the Cubs winning 120 and just mistyped. That is very possible.

I don't know about the Indians, but the Cubs are definitely the best team of paper and the best team on the field. I doubt if your scissors will have any effect on that.

Let's go with "You've got to be kidding me." Cespedes will be lucky to be in the top ten in MVP voting. I can think of four on the Cubs alone who have a better chance; Bryant, Russell, Rizzo and even Contreras.

I'm not sure who Thor is; Syndegard?, Kyle Hendricks will be Cy Young winner, but several have a better chance than "Thor."
Old 03-31-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
HoofedInTheChest

American League

East: Toronto Blue Jays

Central: Cleveland Indians

West: Houston Astros

Wild Card #1: Boston Red Sox

Wild Card #2: Seattle Mariners

National League

East: Washington Nationals

Central: Chicago Cubs

West: LA Dodgers

Wild Card #1: San Francisco Giants

Wild Card #2: New York Mets
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Let's go with "You've got to be kidding me." Cespedes will be lucky to be in the top ten in MVP voting. I can think of four on the Cubs alone who have a better chance; Bryant, Russell, Rizzo and even Contreras.

I'm not sure who Thor is; Syndegard?, Kyle Hendricks will be Cy Young winner, but several have a better chance than "Thor."
Monster year coming for the Yo-man.

Contreras is a rookie and Russell aint even in the top 10 shortstops in baseball. I'd rather have Asdrubal than Russell. Russell is the most overrated player in the game.

BIG positive switch forthe Cardinals with Fowler going to the Cardinals. Just don't think the Cards pitching matches the Cubs. In fact, the back end of the Cards rotation may be weak, and I don't think Wainright is the same guy.

Wade Davis is amazing. The Cardinals have a history of surprising, The rest of that division is dubious.

You'll know about Thor during Cy Young awards.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #11
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Tanaka has proven to be an under achiever and overrated imo.

Yeah, I wanted to go with some outsiders that I think have a chance to put up career seasons. He seems like a pitcher that ran into some injury problems that affected his approach and made the most of it by getting smarter. I think that there's a decent chance that the Yankees gel just right and contend, but it really requires this guy being being not just an ace, but an ace-king suited. It's my kind of precarious limb.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:24 PM   #12
Secondbest

Quote:
Yeah, I wanted to go with some outsiders that I think have a chance to put up career seasons. He seems like a pitcher that ran into some injury problems that affected his approach and made the most of it by getting smarter. I think that there's a decent chance that the Yankees gel just right and contend, but it really requires this guy being being not just an ace, but an ace-king suited. It's my kind of precarious limb.
Rest of the pitching after Tanaka is not that strong.Also need some of the younger players to step up.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2017, 11:44 PM   #13
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
Rest of the pitching after Tanaka is not that strong.Also need some of the younger players to step up.
I'm pretty amazed they were willing to come into this season without making some kind of play for a reliable option anywhere in the rotation just to have a clear number two even if he's really a number three at best. Really, on any given day, the rest of the staff is absolutely atrocious. Sabathia, Severino, Pineda, and I guess Chad Green might be in the lead for the coveted fifth slot. Yikes. But, these guys have all had their moments and bring some talent to the table, if not major league consistency. When you say step up, they need to step up big, in the rotation and at the plate because it just seems like this team is going to need to score runs to win.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #14
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Yeah, I wanted to go with some outsiders that I think have a chance to put up career seasons.
Just another thing to love about this game. There WILL be players that nobody expected to do anything that will have monster years.

I think Goldy will be a lot better with Polock back in the lineup -- but I plead total ignorance as to why Harper and McCuthen were awful last year.

Lindor is a coming superstar, but I shouldn't be telling anybody anything surprising who follows this game.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #15
mostpost

Quote:
Monster year coming for the Yo-man.
We shall see, but I doubt it.

Contreras is a rookie and Russell aint even in the top 10 shortstops in baseball. I'd rather have Asdrubal than Russell. Russell is the most overrated player in the game.
Contreras is not a rookie. He had over 250 at bats last year.

MLB.com rates Russell as the sixth best shortstop in baseball behind Seager, Lindor, Correa, Crawford, and Bogaerts. I will accept that ranking...... for now.

If the Cubs lost their minds and said to the Mets, " We will trade you Addison Russell straight up for Asdrubal Cabrerra." The Mets would jump at the chance.

BIG positive switch forthe Cardinals with Fowler going to the Cardinals. Just don't think the Cards pitching matches the Cubs. In fact, the back end of the Cards rotation may be weak, and I don't think Wainright is the same guy.

Fowler is a big improvement for the Cardinals. However, Albert Almora Jr. is going to be the best defensive center fielder in the game. And, I think he will hit. The Cubs lost nothing there; especially when you factor in the fact that Almora is ten years younger.

Wade Davis is amazing. The Cardinals have a history of surprising, The rest of that division is dubious.
Can't argue with that.

You'll know about Thor during Cy Young awards.
Right. He will be second runner up. Maybe.