Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
HalvOnHorseracing

Boycott of SA Organized for March 23-26

I'm somewhat surprised the boycott being organized by Andy Asaro isn't getting more coverage. I've long argued that until horseplayers flex their muscle, there is no reason for track management to care about what we think. The tracks are usually most worried about the horsemen not the gamblers who essentially fund the track and everyone who races there. This blog from Pull the Pocket details why he is supporting the boycott.

http://pullthepocket.blogspot.com/20...roughbred.html
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
elhelmete

The link points to a 7 year old article?
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
The link points to a 7 year old article?
Same issue though.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #4
elhelmete

So Andy's been organizing a current one?

Purses are down here....without the boycott.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
So Andy's been organizing a current one?

Purses are down here....without the boycott.
I think that's the point.

SB1072 went into effect on Jan 01 2011.

That's the bill that brought 22.68% exacta takeout to Santa Anita, Del Mar, Golden Gate Fields, and the now closed Hollywood Park.

SB1072 also changed the revenue split between tracks and horsemen from 50% track 50% horsemen to 48% track 52% horsemen.

We were promised by then CHRB Chairman Keith Brackpool that higher takeout and the change in revenue split would create bigger purses, bigger field size and bigger bottom line revenue for tracks and state coffers.

If the provisions in SB1072 were ever going to work we should have seen some clear evidence of that over the past seven years.

But that is not the case.

SB1072 has not fulfilled any of the promises made by Keith Brackpool.

Instead SB1072 has enabled the following:​

* Acceleration of California's handle decline vs. the national average.

* California Exacta pools are now badly underperforming Exacta pools in New York.

* Lower bottom line revenue for tracks.

* Loss of jobs, layoffs, and reduced hours for track employees.

* Total purse money paid out is now lower, not higher.

* Decimated budgets for California alphabet organizations like the CHRB, TOC, CTT, and the DJF (disabled jockeys fund.)

It's time for a change in direction.

-jp

Old 03-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
lamboguy

i am not in favor of organized boycotts for anything. the way i look at it people should be smart enough to make their own decisions. if they don't like the takeout or anything else that the track is doing it is certainly their prerogative not to patronize the business.

let the market dictate.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #7
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
..let the market dictate.

One large player I know put it to me like this:
Quote:
I've bet a grand total of maybe $500 (non-BC days) on CA races since my boycott in 2010.

Handle in CA in 2006 was $4.2B, it's now $2.9B. Inflation adjusted to this year that's $5.3B vs. $2.9B.

Meanwhile big tracks like SAR, BEL, GP are all even or slightly up since 08.

I think the market has been trying to dictate.

They just haven’t been listening.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 03-14-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'm all for horseplayers doing something. It will always be tough to get everyone on board for anything. We are, after all, competitors. But Santa Anita is putting out a bad enough product that they are in essence seeing a boycott already. A lot of the races are just not very appetizing.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
Jeff P

Totally agree with you CJ.

But just imagine what the races in California will look like if they keep doing the same thing for another seven years.

-jp

Old 03-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
I'm somewhat surprised the boycott being organized by Andy Asaro isn't getting more coverage. I've long argued that until horseplayers flex their muscle, there is no reason for track management to care about what we think. The tracks are usually most worried about the horsemen not the gamblers who essentially fund the track and everyone who races there. This blog from Pull the Pocket details why he is supporting the boycott.

I don’t subscribe to boycotts. I am a die-hard independent conservative who believes in a free market that is controlled by product quality and customer demand; and the principles of labor economics supports this concept.

Horseracing in California is in a regulated market (not a free market) controlled by the California Horse Racing Board (CHRB). The CHRB governs horseracing in both the physical and virtual world.

If Santa Anita is producing an inferior product with respect to customer demand, then it is incumbent for both Santa Anita management and its customers to lobby their respective state legislators for change.

However, if it is poor management then the Santa Anita customer should demand a change; again, through their legislators. Yes, bettors (customers) can reduce/stop wagering at Santa Anita and it will eventually become a “Hollywood Park.”

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post

It's been my opinion for quite some time now that the track mgmts have always viewed that the horsemen were their only customers. And, the trainers viewed the horsemen as their only customers.

I can only guess what all of these parties think of the betting horse players. IMO, they (and probably) just barely tolerate us. You can tell from their decisions and actions.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 03-14-2017 at 03:25 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #12
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

But just imagine what the races in California will look like if they keep doing the same thing for another seven years.

-jp

I can't imagine California racing in a decade. Imagine if Doc and Frank die and Hollendorffer and Baffert retire. You're talking about 2-3 tracks going away. You're talking about the guy with the best horses combined with the guy with the most. Baffert' owners will go east. Jerry's owners will most likely leave. He has an equity stake in most of the barn. That both allows him AND requires him to run horses in cheap spots. The system can't be replicated easy. You can't easily find a guy to buy into 30-40 horses and then operate 2-3 divisions.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #13
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/h...-at-the-races/

EMERALD DOWNS WELCOMES YOU
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2017, 01:44 AM   #14
Track Phantom

What is the fix? Is it assumed there are a multitude of horses sitting in barns and not running because there are no races that meet conditions? Or is Santa Anita mismanging something?

I agree the product is borderline unwatchable, not to mention unbettable. I just don't know what the answer is to improve it. If the very best track operators ever were in charge of this track, would their product be better?
Old 03-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #15
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post

-jp

They will be lucky to last 7 more years.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply