Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Old 03-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Valuist

Snap

What a fraud this company is. Valued at $32 billion? There's no way they grow into that valuation. This isn't Facebook or Twitter, which have wide demographics. Nobody over 21 is going to use it. Great short candidate.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
What a fraud this company is. Valued at $32 billion? There's no way they grow into that valuation. This isn't Facebook or Twitter, which have wide demographics. Nobody over 21 is going to use it. Great short candidate.
Twitter might have wide demographics, but don't forget how it started out. Check out these two hot IPOs.

Attached Images
File Type: png GoPro.png (71.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Twitter.png (56.8 KB, 9 views)
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2017, 01:22 AM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

My personal favorite in the last decade was CROCS...

ugly ass shoes (in my opinion) + total fad + insane stock price = EPIC FAIL

Attached Images
File Type: png CROCS.png (37.6 KB, 7 views)
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
lamboguy

back in the 90's almost every tech ipo went through the roof for a few years. you never paid a commission on the way in but i used to get socked to the nines on the way out. i paid a boutique firm called Hambrecht and Quist $500 to trade 1000 shares back then. it didn't matter though because they were all rocket rocket ships, some doubled the first day they came out or more. i think those days are gone now, but there are other things you can do to get some smaller pops. like putting money into mutual banks that haven't gone public. having a deposit in those banks makes you eligible to buy their de-mutualized shares. they can go up 10-20% initially. the same with mutual insurance company's where you would have to own an insurance policy with the company.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
barn32
tmrpots

You could also speculate on possible takeover candidates, if you don't mind sitting on them for a while.

Two that come to mind are Twitter and Square, although Twitter has been passed on a couple of times already.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
A woman friend who's in her late 50's is an avid user and wanted to buy the IPO. I told her to wait until the dust settles. I agree on your valuation comment, but I remember when Priceline was an IPO, I said no way they're worth their ridiculous soaring price at IPO. It stands at 1700 and change today.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
but I remember when Priceline was an IPO, I said no way they're worth their ridiculous soaring price at IPO. It stands at 1700 and change today.
William Shatner agreed with you and he sold all of his stock for a mere fraction of what it's worth today.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #8
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32 View Post
You could also speculate on possible takeover candidates, if you don't mind sitting on them for a while.

Two that come to mind are Twitter and Square, although Twitter has been passed on a couple of times already.
Snap could buy Twitter as TWTR's market cap is roughly only 1/3rd of Snap. I do believe Twitter will be around in 5 years. Snap? That's anyone's guess. What until the lockup is over.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #9
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
A woman friend who's in her late 50's is an avid user and wanted to buy the IPO. I told her to wait until the dust settles. I agree on your valuation comment, but I remember when Priceline was an IPO, I said no way they're worth their ridiculous soaring price at IPO. It stands at 1700 and change today.
Problem is, it went to a split adjusted $7 or so from a high of near $1000 before this huge long term recovery.

It's not the road that kills you its the detours - A. Sorry Seller (circi 1832)
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
Problem is, it went to a split adjusted $7 or so from a high of near $1000 before this huge long term recovery.

It's not the road that kills you its the detours - A. Sorry Seller (circi 1832)
I was in the biz back when it was an IPO and it was a rocket ship right from the start. The Dot.com crash brought it back down over two years, while most of the other dot-com's are gone, it's still around. Never owned it. I think that whole time in history has restrained many of the IPO's since then, rightfully so.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
Valuist

The market cap was $34 billion the other day and its already less than $27 billion. Just wait until the lockup is over.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: