Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
Ocala Mike

Christmas Day Racing

Any North American tracks running at all, flat/harness?

Had a good day in my TS account at Laurel today - guess I'll have to wait until Monday to burn some of it off! LOL.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Hipodromo Camarero in Puerto Rico is the only North America track that I know of racing on Christmas day.

(Probably not the answer you were hoping for!)
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
Any North American tracks running at all, flat/harness?

Had a good day in my TS account at Laurel today - guess I'll have to wait until Monday to burn some of it off! LOL.
As did I! Axis Mundi in the finale made my day!
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2016, 09:30 PM   #4
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Calder is running in my memory banks. Sigh...
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Here in Canada, our beloved HPI decided not to carry the Laurel card today, so we had nada today....
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2016, 10:07 PM   #6
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Calder is running in my memory banks. Sigh...
Exactly.

No reason not to run like normal. Nba playing games on 25th nobody seems to have a problem with that but if tracks want to open (like they normally do on Sunday's) all of a sudden people can't stand it.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2016, 11:09 PM   #7
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89
Exactly.

No reason not to run like normal. Nba playing games on 25th nobody seems to have a problem with that but if tracks want to open (like they normally do on Sunday's) all of a sudden people can't stand it.
Who can't stand it?
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 12:20 AM   #8
SuperPickle

Quote:
Exactly.

SRU you've been barking up this tree for years and simply won't concede you're wrong.

Laurel did $2.8 million today as the only track running. That's a couple hundred grand more than normal Saturday without one other track running.

It would be beyond moronic for a track to race on Christmas. First off there would no simulcasting open outside of vegas so that's probably a third of your handle off the top. Second neither the horseman nor the on track employees want it. You think a lot of trainers are going to show up to race a $10k claimer?Third the media would pan it as low cost workers being forced to work to entertain degenerates on a holiday. Racing could really use another negative story.

If have any doubts how awful an idea it is ask the people who run both Parx who always raced on Christmas Eve. They even ran a stake.

And comparing it to the NBA running on Christmas where they get their biggest regular season rates is just silly.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #9
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
SRU you've been barking up this tree for years and simply won't concede you're wrong.

Laurel did $2.8 million today as the only track running. That's a couple hundred grand more than normal Saturday without one other track running.

It would be beyond moronic for a track to race on Christmas. First off there would no simulcasting open outside of vegas so that's probably a third of your handle off the top. Second neither the horseman nor the on track employees want it. You think a lot of trainers are going to show up to race a $10k claimer?Third the media would pan it as low cost workers being forced to work to entertain degenerates on a holiday. Racing could really use another negative story.

If have any doubts how awful an idea it is ask the people who run both Parx who always raced on Christmas Eve. They even ran a stake.

And comparing it to the NBA running on Christmas where they get their biggest regular season rates is just silly.
Them doing more than Normal handle speaks volumes, the typical simo Bettor who normally doesn't play laurel isn't going to drop everything to spend an entire day betting one track w 23 mins between races with no other options, if every track was running like they normally do, the handles would be fine.

Viewing isolated handles on one track running takes everything out of context, the only way you can point to stats is if every track that normally runs on Saturday in December is running.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:03 AM   #10
SuperPickle

Quote:
Them doing more than Normal handle speaks volumes, the typical simo Bettor who normally doesn't play laurel isn't going to drop everything to spend an entire day betting one track w 23 mins between races with no other options, if every track was running like they normally do, the handles would be fine.

Viewing isolated handles on one track running takes everything out of context, the only way you can point to stats is if every track that normally runs on Saturday in December is running.
Literally none of this true.

There's a reason New York is not racing a whole week. There's a reason SoCal if off a whole week. Theres a reason all the tracks stopped racing on Christmas Eve. There's a reason the NFL shifted the bulk of its schedule to Saturday.

You can't win competing against the Christmas. Can't be done.

When the NFL, the 10,000 pound gorilla of sports ducks Christmas you know it's the right decision not to race. The idea that if everyone raced like normal the handle would be normal is beyond silly.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #11
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:

Wait....you just said that with no simulcasting it would be a disaster.

But you're OK with no TV access for the older/low tech crowd.

Racetrack management at its finest.

Regardless,

Merry Christmas super pickle. To you and your family sir.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #12
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:

There's a reason New York is not racing a whole week. There's a reason SoCal if off a whole week. Theres a reason all the tracks stopped racing on Christmas Eve. There's a reason the NFL shifted the bulk of its schedule to Saturday.

When the NFL, the 10,000 pound gorilla of sports ducks Christmas you know it's the right decision not to race. The idea that if everyone raced like normal the handle would be normal is beyond silly.
I'm sure you realize but SRU and EMD just post to post. They aren't interested in much outside of adding to their post count.

Think about it, he viewed it as a positive that they did a few hundred thousand more than normal as literally the only option. You can't try and reason with that kind of trolling.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #13
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:

My point was that it's not a normal racing day so plenty of people who would have otherwise spent the day betting didn't bet on laurel, so it's not some kind of bonus that laurel is the only game in town, my point was that them being the only signal hurt their business, not helped it.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #14
andtheyreoff

Quote:
My point was that it's not a normal racing day so plenty of people who would have otherwise spent the day betting didn't bet on laurel, so it's not some kind of bonus that laurel is the only game in town, my point was that them being the only signal hurt their business, not helped it.
Are you kidding?

Laurel handled $2,800,718 yesterday. The last Saturday they raced, they did $2,627,497. On the two Saturdays before that, $1,890,509 and $2,093,217.

That figure from yesterday was also achieved without most OTBs across the country being open, too. It was almost all from off-track handle. To try to claim that Laurel was HURT by being by themselves is ludicrous. It HELPED them immensely.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #15
sharkie187

Talking

Let's not forget that NZ and Australia are running Christmas night!
sharkie187 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply