Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 12-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #31
Marshall Bennett

AdBlock was best thing I ever installed on pc. I have the free version too. The best part is watching youtube hassle free as much as i want. What pisses me off are these sports sites takes forever to load because of some useless video trying to load first. Some news outlets do the same.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2016, 09:41 PM   #32
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper
Adblock Plus and NoScript/uMatrix should eliminate those problems.
Thanks👍
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2016, 01:05 AM   #33
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
New rig will have fresh software settings, so you might notice a difference.

Might want to try another DNS server (independent from your ISP). I currently use OpenDNS.

Also, the crazy javascript clusterf**k on most sites is probably the biggest resource hog when browsing. Again, the popular NoScript or uMatrix browser plug-ins can speed things up considerably.
I've been running the new system for about 10 months now with no problems until just the last month or two. I use adblock, flashcontrol and a couple of other extensions to help speed things up, and since the slowdown is "connecting", it's prior to any script or site issues.

That is a good idea to try OpenDNS, which I've used before. It could very well be Comcast is mucking things up - though I can't reproduce the problem at the moment. I'll give that a whirl the next time the connect issue crops up.

Quote:
Well, if the slowdown isn't from your DNS server nor from the huge thicket of javascript on most sites, then the problem likely stems from all of the Chinese Muslims with forged birth certificates infiltrating the U.S. through the Mexican border, who are trying to skim our Yonkers picks.
Could be. If they're skimming my Yonkers picks, they're outta luck, since I rarely play the jugheads. But maybe they could skim my loser Aqu, Tampa or SA selections and play those at Yonkers - they can't do any worse...
Parkview_Pirate is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2016, 01:13 AM   #34
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Dan, anything work?
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #35
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Dan, anything work?
I switched over from ABP to UBlock Origin, and that sped things up a little bit. Marginal, at best. Also tried the NoScript suite add-on, and that was interesting.. seeing everything that was trying to run and granting permissions. No question that would be helpful in filtering crap. But I've disabled it for now until I have more time to play with it..

I appreciate all the pointers and input!
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #36
Marshall Bennett

Hard to not stress how much good CCleaner can be as well. The free version is ample. Check and clean out whatever trash is there you don't need. Do same with start-up. Has several tools, such as cleaning registry also. I go thru and check mine almost daily, it updates frequently and takes only seconds. CCleaner that is.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply