Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-14-2016, 12:10 AM   #31
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Maybe I misread it but I read it 4x.

Sounds like Halvey was mocking the guy who wants another still shot taken as each horse hits the fake line.

I know I want a still shot taken for each horse hitting the fake line.

Did I misread it? If I did, my apologies. Maybe Halvey can confirm please?
The guy assumed that they took a picture as soon as the first horse hit the finish line. That picture would have contained the four horses because they were all within a length and a quarter of the winner. Then our guy assumed they drew a line for the winner and a separate line for the show horse using that one snap shot instead of taking a second picture when the 3rd/4th place horses crossed the line. In other words, in the snap shot he assumed only the winner had actually reached the finish line. i tried to explain to him that you had a continuous stream of film rolling by, and a very small aperture at the finish line and as each horse entered the aperture it printed on the film. So the snap shot he thought he saw was actually where each horse was when he hit the finish line. As I said, the concept just blew his mind.

What I was explaining was exactly how it was done back then. If you looked at the continuous roll of film you would see all the horses strung out, but the pictures of each respective horse were as they were passing the finish line.

Does that make sense now?
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 12:21 AM   #32
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I wouldn't this late into the evening.
Good one!
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 02:56 AM   #33
menifee

If you watch Australia racing - the photo is in instantaneous. Within 3 secs, you know who the winner is. In American racing, it takes a minute if not two minutes. I'm not saying there is chicanery, but why can't American tracks adopt the same systems as Australia. It would silence the conspiracy theorists and give the consumer a better experience.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 05:55 AM   #34
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee
If you watch Australia racing - the photo is in instantaneous. Within 3 secs, you know who the winner is. In American racing, it takes a minute if not two minutes. I'm not saying there is chicanery, but why can't American tracks adopt the same systems as Australia. It would silence the conspiracy theorists and give the consumer a better experience.
Its game playing, they drag out these slow motion replays to create 'suspense' or something, not sure how that helps anyone, just put up the winner when you know who it is, not hard.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee
The photo isn't instantaneous. You aren't seeing the actual photo finish system when they show they replay. What you are seeing is the video feed which is set up much better than most of ours here and uses better equipment.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #36
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89
Its game playing, they drag out these slow motion replays to create 'suspense' or something, not sure how that helps anyone, just put up the winner when you know who it is, not hard.
This is simply another made up "conspiracy" where there is none. The photo is analyzed, the placing judges make a decision, and the result is posted. There is no fake suspense being imposed on customers.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #37
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

All anyone needs to know is that the photo you see IS the finish. That's it...plain and simple.

What you see is exactly what it looked like the instant the first horse hits the finish line.

If the photo finish camera is on the line (and we have to assume that it is), then there can be no other possible image produced.

The "line" you see on the photo is immaterial to the finish, since the photo IS the finish. It is artificially placed on the image to help the fan and the judges separate what is there in the image in a close race. It doesn't change the photo. With or without the line (ie, you can zoom in really close with a digital photo), you can tell who won. The line isn't necessary...it is just a visual aid.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 12-14-2016 at 10:23 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #38
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
This is simply another made up "conspiracy" where there is none. The photo is analyzed, the placing judges make a decision, and the result is posted. There is no fake suspense being imposed on customers.

That's correct - sometimes it just takes a bit longer because some of them are harder to wake up
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 11:49 AM   #39
AltonKelsey
Veteran

A recent study has shown that 86% of the people that think the photo finish is suspect, also have doubts about the Moon landing.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #40
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The photo isn't instantaneous. You aren't seeing the actual photo finish system when they show they replay. What you are seeing is the video feed which is set up much better than most of ours here and uses better equipment.
With a digital system the photo is near instataneous. I've seen Lynx (same company that does digital photos at race tracks) post it on the big screen immediately at track meets. But there are likely regulatory hurdles to immediate posting- the judges / stewards have to review it first.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #41
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Don't know why they couldn't post it. Has nothing to do with the actual review by the placing judges and official result.

But of course, they need time to go back in the archives to get the photo that matches the result they need to cash.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #42
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Why go through all that trouble? All they have to do is key in the ticket with the winning combo before they declare the race official....on the one machine that doesn't lock when the race goes off, that they keep in a closet in the Stewards Room...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 12-14-2016 at 12:58 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #43
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Why go through all that trouble? ...
Hardest working stewards in America are on the internet. And yet they also never do their job.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #44
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Why go through all that trouble? All they have to do is key in the ticket with the winning combo before they declare the race official....on the one machine that doesn't lock when the race goes off, that they keep in a closet in the Stewards Room...
So you know about AP set up!
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #45
no breathalyzer
Veteran

999/1000 i don't question it but then there is this http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=125762
also one time over 10 yrs ago i remember a time at Hawthorne in a harness race where they had the nerve to show the win photo to show the 2nd and 3rd place finishers instead of where they finished across the wire... to this day i know they ****ed that up as the 3rd place horse got second by a neck.. but since it was harness and were maybe 90 people there no one gave a shit
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: