Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #16
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
A one loss Ohio state team
A two loss penn state team

These two teams tied for the division title

I'll take the one loss team every time. If penn state had only one loss they'd be in because of the win over ohio state. Simple as that

As for their program, they should have been shut down. Period. What took place was FAR worse than what SMU did thirty years ago and they never have recovered. (Same for Baylor btw). As for Franklin, I'm still not convinced. OBrien laid a good foundation.
The first bolded part I'll just say that Penn State beat Ohio State. And then they beat Wisconsin for the Big 10 title. Through these blood-shot eyes of mine, I see it that Penn State should have been named to the Playoff Final Four and not Ohio State.

Remember when head-to-head results were important and separated those teams that finished their seasons with the same record?? Plus, Ohio State struggled against a weak Michigan State team while Penn State beat them when the Spartans held a lot more swag.

The second bolded part ... I truly feel that Penn State should have shut down the entire football program for a few years after the Sandusky sex scandal. But they didn't. They should also hang Sandusky but they won't. Oh, if I were King for a Day...

Yes, O'Brien may have laid a good foundation as you say but he left for the NFL a wee bit too soon, imo.

My real hatred in this topic is aimed primarily at the NCAA and not any one school, even Ohio State, the luckiest team in the country.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #17
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89
Agree. If nothing else, Penn State should have replaced Washington.
This comment makes zero sense. Washington also won its conference, had just one loss, and was nationally ranked higher for the entire season. Penn state came on strong and had a great season, but there is no way they should have replaced Washington. Okay, maybe if Washington had just eked by Colorado, but let's not forget that Penn state had to come from behind to with a close one over Wisconsin. With just 4 teams in the playoffs, there will be other teams who have a case to be in. For this year at least, the committee got it right.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
A one loss Ohio state team
A two loss penn state team

These two teams tied for the division title

I'll take the one loss team every time. If penn state had only one loss they'd be in because of the win over ohio state. Simple as that

As for their program, they should have been shut down. Period. What took place was FAR worse than what SMU did thirty years ago and they never have recovered. (Same for Baylor btw). As for Franklin, I'm still not convinced. OBrien laid a good foundation.
You leave out the head to head part though, which in year's past has been touted as huge. They didn't tie for the division. There are tiebreakers in place and they lost the first one.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #19
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
That is the problem in a 4 team playoff - somebody is always going to get screwed.
I'd like a 6 team playoff format with the #1 and 2 AP ranked teams getting a 1st round bye. This is 2 additional teams and would probably put to rest any complaints that a team had a championship team but didn't get in.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #20
Valuist

The Big Ten tiebreaker is flawed. The head to head should NEVER preceed overall record. At least the committee got it right and took Ohio State, while Penn State will not be a part of the playoff.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
The Big Ten tiebreaker is flawed. The head to head should NEVER preceed overall record. At least the committee got it right and took Ohio State, while Penn State will not be a part of the playoff.
Why would anyone use overall record to determine a conference championship? That would be encouraging teams to schedule nobodies like Baylor does. To the best of my knowledge not a single conference uses overall record as a main tiebreaker, if at all.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #22
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Why would anyone use overall record to determine a conference championship? That would be encouraging teams to schedule nobodies like Baylor does. To the best of my knowledge not a single conference uses overall record as a main tiebreaker, if at all.
I'm sure the Big Ten, in their hubris, didn't even account for the fact their leader could lose a non-conference game. How many times has a top 5 Ohio State or Michigan lost a non-conference game? IMO, the best team in the conference is Michigan, who destroyed Penn State by 39 points, beat Wisconsin easier than the margin indicated, and only lost to Ohio State in OT due to multiple questionable calls.

The problem with using head to head is too much weight is given to one game. At least in the NFL, divisional rivals play twice. In the NBA, its 4 times; MLB teams play divisional rivals 18-19 times.

Last edited by Valuist; 12-05-2016 at 05:56 PM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #23
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I'm sure the Big Ten, in their hubris, didn't even account for the fact their leader could lose a non-conference game. How many times has a top 5 Ohio State or Michigan lost a non-conference game? IMO, the best team in the conference is Michigan, who destroyed Penn State by 39 points, beat Wisconsin easier than the margin indicated, and only lost to Ohio State in OT due to multiple questionable calls.

The problem with using head to head is too much weight is given to one game. At least in the NFL, divisional rivals play twice. In the NBA, its 4 times; MLB teams play divisional rivals 18-19 times.
I agree PSU isn't better than those two, but we aren't far off from the "committee" just picking four big names and letting them play. Forget everything else...the games don't matter any more. It is all about the eye test. That, to me, is garbage.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #24
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I agree PSU isn't better than those two, but we aren't far off from the "committee" just picking four big names and letting them play. Forget everything else...the games don't matter any more. It is all about the eye test. That, to me, is garbage.
Totally agree! If Ohio Sate is in.. why play the games? Sorry Just Ralph(Columbus West). Me...(Columbus Walnut Ridge!)
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #25
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
I'd like a 6 team playoff format with the #1 and 2 AP ranked teams getting a 1st round bye. This is 2 additional teams and would probably put to rest any complaints that a team had a championship team but didn't get in.
By the time this thread runs its course, there will be someone on here preaching a 16 team playoff. There has to be a limit, and four is it.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:23 AM   #26
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
The first bolded part I'll just say that Penn State beat Ohio State. And then they beat Wisconsin for the Big 10 title. Through these blood-shot eyes of mine, I see it that Penn State should have been named to the Playoff Final Four and not Ohio State.

Remember when head-to-head results were important and separated those teams that finished their seasons with the same record?? Plus, Ohio State struggled against a weak Michigan State team while Penn State beat them when the Spartans held a lot more swag.

The second bolded part ... I truly feel that Penn State should have shut down the entire football program for a few years after the Sandusky sex scandal. But they didn't. They should also hang Sandusky but they won't. Oh, if I were King for a Day...

Yes, O'Brien may have laid a good foundation as you say but he left for the NFL a wee bit too soon, imo.

My real hatred in this topic is aimed primarily at the NCAA and not any one school, even Ohio State, the luckiest team in the country.
Head to head doesn't trump overall record in most cases, and it didn't here. Not being argumentative.

Look, Texas whipped Oklahoma head to head in 2008 and somehow Oklahoma represented the big 12 in the natty game that year. Both teams had one loss, in conference. Texas kicked Oklahomas ass...didn't matter.

Best way to look at it is like tcu coach Gary Patterson from two years ago when Ohio state was gifted the fourth spot in the cfp..."that's what we get for losing a game in October"....iow, win out and you don't have to worry about it
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 12:32 AM   #27
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
You leave out the head to head part though, which in year's past has been touted as huge. They didn't tie for the division. There are tiebreakers in place and they lost the first one.
College football has always been about total record, at least most of the time. That and strength of schedule. TOSU also had a better non conference win. I like that a one loss team is ahead of a two loss team
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 12:54 AM   #28
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco
Totally agree! If Ohio Sate is in.. why play the games? Sorry Just Ralph(Columbus West). Me...(Columbus Walnut Ridge!)
No sweat.......🤓👍
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 01:17 AM   #29
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
By the time this thread runs its course, there will be someone on here preaching a 16 team playoff. There has to be a limit, and four is it.
I disagree. I believe that 8 teams is the sweet spot. That would cover the 5 major conference champs plus 3 "at large" teams. The at large teams could be determined by a formula similar to what the BCS did. The BCS was not perfect, but the formula did, for the most part, get the right teams most of the time. In fact, I really only recall one year (which one?) where it missed. There really needs to be a system in which the big 5 champs all get in.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #30
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
I disagree. I believe that 8 teams is the sweet spot. That would cover the 5 major conference champs plus 3 "at large" teams. The at large teams could be determined by a formula similar to what the BCS did. The BCS was not perfect, but the formula did, for the most part, get the right teams most of the time. In fact, I really only recall one year (which one?) where it missed. There really needs to be a system in which the big 5 champs all get in.
Okay, now we have someone with an 8 team playoff. Do I hear 16? Do you really believe that the conference champ should get a spot. That would render the whole season meaningless in some instances. A few years ago UCLA played for the conference championship with a 6-6 record. If they had won you would have put them in the playoff with six losses? What if they beat the number one team who was 12-0 on a bad call. That is not fair. I bet most people would disagree with you.

Last edited by zico20; 12-06-2016 at 06:01 PM.
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply