Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-25-2016, 12:56 AM   #46
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629
You guys are out of your mind ...his style is do it all at 100 mph but he doesn't make his team better and doesn't win on the big stage ....he's got his team in line for the 6th seed in the west but then what? I'm a big Cavs fan and the real game tomorrow comes on at 2:30
Are you suggesting he's not a great player?
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 01:24 AM   #47
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89
Are you suggesting he's not a great player?
CJ posted he "is the greatest pg we've ever seen."
I'm suggesting this not to be true ...he is a great player but not the best at his position ...I'd take Curry at pg over Russ in a heartbeat....i guess I'd put Russ at second best pg currently in the league
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 01:51 AM   #48
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
CJ posted he "is the greatest pg we've ever seen."
I'm suggesting this not to be true ...he is a great player but not the best at his position ...I'd take Curry at pg over Russ in a heartbeat....i guess I'd put Russ at second best pg currently in the league
If you believe that the athletes and players In 2016 are much more advanced physically than people from generations ago, can't you make the case that the players in today's game are the best in history? If that's true, than Russ being the best who's ever played is certainly in the convo.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #49
Ocala Mike

Since my thread was hijacked by hoops guys (no problem with that, by the way), I just want to say that I was once a passionate pro basketball fan back in the day.

I'm talking Tuesday night doubleheaders at the old MSG on 50th St. and 8th Ave. watching players like Pettit, Cousy, Oscar, and Dolph Schays come in and wreck the Knicks.

Gladys Gooding playing "In Old New York" when the Knicks came on the floor - those were the days, my friends.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #50
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

No more basketball please. I'll move it all to the Westbrook thread later where I'll then obliterate the "doesn't make his teammates better" thought. 😀 Merry Christmas all!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #51
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Russ Vegas prop today total points, rebounds and assists o/u 54.5 -110 on both sides
Old 12-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #52
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
If it were profitable they'd probably still be running. I'll be at the Thunder game tomorrow letting Russ entertain me. Greatest point guard we've ever seen
You never saw Walt (Clyde) Frazier. The greatest knick ever.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #53
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
You guys are out of your mind ...his style is do it all at 100 mph but he doesn't make his team better and doesn't win on the big stage ....he's got his team in line for the 6th seed in the west but then what? I'm a big Cavs fan and the real game tomorrow comes on at 2:30
Have you seen the team around him? If Russ isn't superman, the team loses, simple. The TEAM record when he records a triple double is off the charts. Most times when he doesn't it is because the rest of the guys can't make a wide open shot or finish at the rim.

Sure, the Thunder will probably lose in the first round. That is hardly his fault. He is a fabulous player the likes we have never seen. He is incredibly athletic, a great passer, smart player, etc. The Thunder without him are a high lottery team. Keep in mind Russ is doing all this with probably the worst offensive player I've ever seen Andre Roberson sharing the floor with him most of the time. The Oladipo injury has made it even tougher on him yet he still keeps producing.

As for Curry being better, I don't buy it. Russ destroyed him in the Conference Finals last year. The Warriors won because Klay Thompson went crazy and because KD folded up like a cheap suit.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #54
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest
You never saw Walt (Clyde) Frazier. The greatest knick ever.

I saw Frazier. Side note, he and my wife are both SIU alums. He was a very good player. But to quote John McEnroe, "You CANNOT be serious!"
Old 12-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #55
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
He's leading the league in turnovers and shooting an abysmal .430 from the field but the triple doubles are cool...he's Allen Iverson on steroids
He is nothing like Allen Iverson other than he can be a high volume scorer. He can do pretty much everything else much better than Iverson could.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #56
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He is a fabulous player the likes we have never seen. He is incredibly athletic, a great passer, smart player, etc.
I like Westbrook CJ, but "the likes we have never seen"??

#1- Magic Johnson
No one even close

#2- Oscar Robertson
Averaged a Triple Double for an ENTIRE season...1961-62
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #57
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall

#1- Magic Johnson
No one even close

#2- Oscar Robertson
Magic is an all time great, no doubt. He played a totally different style so tough to compare them directly.

As for Oscar, the game was way, way different back then. The pace was much faster. I think I read teams averaged 20 more possessions a game, which obviously leads to more points, rebounds and assists. If Russ averages a triple double, it will be more impressive than Oscar's. And no, I'm not knocking Oscar. Fabulous player by all accounts though a little before my time.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #58
Secondbest

Don't forget back when the the Big O played there was no 3 point shot.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 11:14 PM   #59
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest
Don't forget back when the the Big O played there was no 3 point shot.
Sure but as far as the triple double goes not really an issue.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:30 AM   #60
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall

#1- Magic Johnson
No one even close

#2- Oscar Robertson
Do you think if Russ, as is in 2016, was transported in a time machine back to magic's era, do you think he would be just another guy? Would he be a top 5 player? Would he be the best player in the league?

I think a lot of this argument really surrounds a persons belief or non belief that the human race has largely stayed the same, Athletes in all sports haven't gotten bigger faster and stronger, I believe that players are just much better than they were 3 and 4 decades ago so it's hard for me to give the nod to the yesteryear player knowing what we know now.