Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 11-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Revo Uninstall is a good program for uninstalling.
If you put in on your machine before other programs are installed, it is even better. Gets the crap out of your registry that many program leave behind.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #17
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
You shouldn't just go deleting things directly off the hard drive without knowing what you are doing. Use the uninstall function to uninstall all the programs you don't want.
Right.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:16 AM   #18
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
I've never heard of PC Decrapifier but not that I have I think I'll try that first. I do mean to delete everything except the OS. I hope to find out what is needed to run the OS.

I would expect the OS to protect itself and not let you delete stuff that it needs.
If you use the uninstaller menu in Windows, you should be okay. Trouble comes up when users starting deleting files manually. You may uninstall an update that Windows will want to reinstall right away again, but that should be the limit of the trouble you'd get in.

Since it's a refurb, I'm assuming you won't get a DVD with the O/S on it for a new install. That's the easiest way to smoke all the unwanted spamware.

If you're interested in trying Linux, you can install it right away, and still retain the version of Windows on it. I just did this last week with a refurbed laptop I got, letting Windows have 80GB and Linux Mint get 40 GB on the 120 GB SSD drive. The Win 7 image was already defragged and compacted at the start of the disk, so when Mint carved up the partition, Windows ran one file check on the next boot, and it was happy.

Fortunately, the Windows 7 image was pretty light on spamware. I had to uninstall about six programs, run CCcleaner, and it was as clean as if installed from an OEM DVD.

Regardless of what you end up doing, I'd recommend creating a system image backup to an external USB drive as step 1. After I cleaned up everything and had Win 7/Mint in dual bootable mode, I then made another system image backup so I'll have a copy of the clean o/s for recovery if needed.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #19
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Well, I'm going to find out. I ordered a cheap refurbished computer on line. It's supposed to be delivered on the 29th. The first thing I'll do with it will be to delete all the software that comes with it. If it survives, great! If not then I got my answer for $65 and I'll try to install Linux on it.
Something tells me a refurbished computer isn't going to come with a lot of bloatware pre-installed on it...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2016, 12:17 AM   #20
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Something tells me a refurbished computer isn't going to come with a lot of bloatware pre-installed on it...
That seems to be the case. It came yesterday.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:48 AM   #21
AltonKelsey
Veteran

It doesn't matter what's on the hard drive if it DOESN'T EXECUTE.

All you really have to do is prevent crap from automatically running when you boot up. Then you're done.

In the rare case that can't be done, then a clean reinstall of the op sys is needed.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2016, 10:31 PM   #22
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey
It doesn't matter what's on the hard drive if it DOESN'T EXECUTE.
Unless you are short on hard drive space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey
All you really have to do is prevent crap from automatically running when you boot up. Then you're done.
Except that there are some programs that run automatically after boot up, specifically updates. What annoys me is the quite frequent updates which, as far as I can tell, accomplish nothing. And it's not just Microsoft that does this. Lenovo does it too.

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that the purpose of these updates is to install new adware to the machine. Nothing to do with security or refinement of the OS.

I do not intend to ever use this particular computer on line. That being the case I would like to uninstall Internet Explorer but it's not listed on the Uninstall utility.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:06 PM   #23
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Unless you are short on hard drive space.
Except that there are some programs that run automatically after boot up, specifically updates. What annoys me is the quite frequent updates which, as far as I can tell, accomplish nothing. And it's not just Microsoft that does this. Lenovo does it too.

I have heard, but cannot confirm, that the purpose of these updates is to install new adware to the machine. Nothing to do with security or refinement of the OS.

I do not intend to ever use this particular computer on line. That being the case I would like to uninstall Internet Explorer but it's not listed on the Uninstall utility.
Just about everything connected to the internet now has frequent updates, but if you plan to use the PC only offline, you won't suffer from that. You might want to spend some time looking into the "update" services that are on the machine, and disable them to allow the machine to be a bit quicker - and as was suggested, toggle them off in the startup tab in msconfig.

I don't know of any legitimate software program that installs new adware with updates, but there may be some. By legitimate I mean purchased, or reviewed freeware (i.e. on CNET.com or other software download/review site) that's validated to be adware free. If you have some suspicions about a piece of software or something odd running, google it and see if there's info out there about it.

You shouldn't/can't uninstall IE. I believe it's considered an integral part of the o/s starting with Vista, but earlier versions of Windows could be hosed up by trying to remove it. If you're worried about the disk space it or other unneeded Windows components are taking up, you just might have to live with some wasted space, though there are tools like CCcleaner and many web pages describing the steps to delete unneeded files and toggle off unneeded services.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2016, 02:54 AM   #24
Actor
Librocubicularist

I played a DVD on the machine a couple of days ago. Yesterday I tried to play another DVD but the tray will not open. I'm hoping to find a simple fix because spending a lot of money on this machine is definitely not part of the plan. Any suggestions?

So far I've tried a cold start reboot. Nothing.

Also looked for some app with an eject icon. Nothing.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #25
upthecreek

Open manually

Don't know if this helps I've done it before

How to manually open a CD or DVD drive.: http://youtu.be/2ScSLW2QxD4
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #26
tupper

Quote:
Yesterday I tried to play another DVD but the tray will not open. I'm hoping to find a simple fix because spending a lot of money on this machine is definitely not part of the plan. Any suggestions?
Right after you start/boot your computer, press the eject button on your DVD drive several times until it opens. If it doesn't open, the problem is probably mechanical (or perhaps something is stuck).

You could also boot a live CD/DVD/USB and see if the drive opens. Again, if the DVD drive doesn't open after you have booted a live CD/DVD/USB, then the problem is likely mechanical.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2016, 06:39 PM   #27
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
Don't know if this helps I've done it before

How to manually open a CD or DVD drive.: http://youtu.be/2ScSLW2QxD4
It worked. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #28
upthecreek

Quote:
It worked. Thanks!
You're welcome After I did it , it started working again
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #29
Actor
Librocubicularist

The computer has started to give me a message that my copy of Windows 7 is not genuine. I wants me to activate Windows 7. Apparently you can do this online or by phone. Since I do now want to put this particular online I have tried to phone option. When I dial the number I get a recording from Microsoft that tells me the conversation is going to be recorded and all that, and that they are glad to have me as a customer, and let's get started. Then the line goes dead. I've tried this several times, always with this result.

Apparently nothing bad is going to happen if I don't activate (it hasn't so far). I just have to get used to having the error message always there.

Meanwhile I've loaded all my handicapping data files onto the hard drive.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #30
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
The computer has started to give me a message that my copy of Windows 7 is not genuine. I wants me to activate Windows 7. Apparently you can do this online or by phone. Since I do now want to put this particular online I have tried to phone option. When I dial the number I get a recording from Microsoft that tells me the conversation is going to be recorded and all that, and that they are glad to have me as a customer, and let's get started. Then the line goes dead. I've tried this several times, always with this result.

Apparently nothing bad is going to happen if I don't activate (it hasn't so far). I just have to get used to having the error message always there.

Meanwhile I've loaded all my handicapping data files onto the hard drive.
After a certain amount of time, the operating system will not boot up if you don’t activate Windows. If you have the key, then i would activate Windows and save yourself some grief.

Here are some methods of removing the nag...

http://www.ashiktricks.com/this-copy...t-genuine-fix/

This is my personal fave...

http://removewatdownload.com/
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply