Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #16
delayjf

Make that 72,812 - I was able to sneak in.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I have a lot of experience with big crowds, but take this for what it is worth. I'd guess 35k-40k on Friday 55-60k on Saturday.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 08:38 PM   #18
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I have a lot of experience with big crowds, but take this for what it is worth. I'd guess 35k-40k on Friday 55-60k on Saturday.
Take this for what it's worth. I've been going to Santa Anita all my life. Saturday was the biggest post-race traffic jam that I have seen since March 3, 1985, when they had 85,000.

Big crowds don't look quite as big anymore because fewer people sit in the grandstand. But the apron was full and the downstairs betting areas were very crowded, as was the paddock and paddock room.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Take this for what it's worth. I've been going to Santa Anita all my life. Saturday was the biggest post-race traffic jam that I have seen since March 3, 1985, when they had 85,000.

Big crowds don't look quite as big anymore because fewer people sit in the grandstand. But the apron was full and the downstairs betting areas were very crowded, as was the paddock and paddock room.
That would assume the 85,000 was true also.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #20
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
That would assume the 85,000 was true also.
That 85,000 was the biggest crowd I have ever seen at a racetrack. You had to go down 15 minutes before the race to bet (they didn't have the self service back then). There were lines at the restroom. The upper level of the grandstand was wall to wall humanity. And my mother, who attended Ohlaverry's Santa Anita Handicap (also 85,000), said it was exactly the same.

What has happened, as I said, is a lot more people are buried down inside the grandstand than used to be the case. But the parking lot traffic jam told the tale. I am not vouching for every single one of the 72,000 announced, but it was a HUGE crowd, one that Santa Anita has not seen for decades.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #21
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
That 85,000 was the biggest crowd I have ever seen at a racetrack. You had to go down 15 minutes before the race to bet (they didn't have the self service back then). There were lines at the restroom. The upper level of the grandstand was wall to wall humanity. And my mother, who attended Ohlaverry's Santa Anita Handicap (also 85,000), said it was exactly the same.

What has happened, as I said, is a lot more people are buried down inside the grandstand than used to be the case. But the parking lot traffic jam told the tale. I am not vouching for every single one of the 72,000 announced, but it was a HUGE crowd, one that Santa Anita has not seen for decades.
Yep, definitely more than 2 years ago. The place was packed.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply