Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
MonmouthParkJoe

Breeders Cup Transportation

I have been looking at some transportation options that were discussed in previous thread. I contemplated the helicopter package but for $17,500 it is a little steep

I am staying in El Monte, roughly 6 miles from the track. Looks like the options are train and bus, as well as uber, lyft and taxis. The train option could bring you to the arcadia stop, then they have free shuttles from there to the track. I think the last shuttle/train is something like 630, with the classic post time set for 530. Just got an email for Uber, if you sign up using the code "2016breederscup" you will get $15 off your first ride if you have never used the service before. I havent so I am will be giving it a go. Figured I would toss this out there for those going.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
elhelmete

Having gone to BC @ SA twice, and having been to SA probably 1000 times, here's what I would do.

I'd Uber or train in on the inbound.

After the Classic, I'd stay for that last get-out race and not be in a hurry to leave. Then I'd uber it.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
I have been looking at some transportation options that were discussed in previous thread. I contemplated the helicopter package but for $17,500 it is a little steep

I am staying in El Monte, roughly 6 miles from the track. Looks like the options are train and bus, as well as uber, lyft and taxis. The train option could bring you to the arcadia stop, then they have free shuttles from there to the track. I think the last shuttle/train is something like 630, with the classic post time set for 530. Just got an email for Uber, if you sign up using the code "2016breederscup" you will get $15 off your first ride if you have never used the service before. I havent so I am will be giving it a go. Figured I would toss this out there for those going.
Uber is great, but you'll be waiting for a while to get one after the BC. Just prepare for it and you'll be fine as long as you aren't in a big hurry. I'll be in the same line
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
ebcorde
Veteran

Not going have fun.

I was on santa anita website and I saw something about a Uber taxi thing there.

I got link
http://www.santaanita.com/?s=uber
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Uber is great, but you'll be waiting for a while to get one after the BC. Just prepare for it and you'll be fine as long as you aren't in a big hurry. I'll be in the same line
It would be great to meet you out there, nice to put some faces with names on here.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #6
anotherCAfan

Quote:
I am staying in El Monte
Were hotels in "nicer" suburbs all sold out?

edit: I agree with elhelmete; you could consider hailing an Uber on your way there, and on your way back (stay for the last race, to let the crowd dissipate).

Last edited by anotherCAfan; 10-28-2016 at 03:45 PM.
anotherCAfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #7
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherCAfan
Were hotels in "nicer" suburbs all sold out?

edit: I agree with elhelmete; you could consider hailing an Uber on your way there, and on your way back (stay for the last race, to let the crowd dissipate).
I just noticed this year the Classic is the final race....
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
MonmouthParkJoe

Honestly ive never been to Santa Anita or the surrounding area. Is El Monte a dump?

In reality I will be going from the hotel to the track, not exactly sight seeing. Not too worried about handling myself there, but honestly might even try to switch hotels if it is that bad for my wife's sake. She likes the finer things
Old 10-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #9
ebcorde
Veteran

Quote:
Honestly ive never been to Santa Anita or the surrounding area. Is El Monte a dump?

In reality I will be going from the hotel to the track, not exactly sight seeing. Not too worried about handling myself there, but honestly might even try to switch hotels if it is that bad for my wife's sake. She likes the finer things
ain't nobody going to get ya. LA is weird , These days if you move there, you have to know the Demographics. I had no problem living in Fullerton, in the 80's, actually cheap too.
Today who knows, buy a House and your neighbor is the Blood and Crips, or La Raza, Yakusa lol. That Forces you to buy a Postage stamp size House that eats up all your money.

10 years ago I was about to make a move to San Jose, until I saw housing prices.

You're only staying for a weekend.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2016, 12:32 AM   #10
anotherCAfan

Quote:
It's no Arcadia or Sierra Madre -- but it's better than some parts of Chicago I'm sure.

I would imagine the Courtyard by Marriott in Monrovia (right on the Arcadia border) is sold out... but if it isn't, then check it out.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:28 AM   #11
lamboguy

i stay at the Langham in Pasadena. they have a shuttle service for both days to the track and back to the hotel after the races, its usually the host hotel for this event and the place is as nice as it gets.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i stay at the Langham in Pasadena. they have a shuttle service for both days to the track and back to the hotel after the races, its usually the host hotel for this event and the place is as nice as it gets.
Looks like the rooms they have left are $865 a night excluding tax, so you figure I would check in Thursday and checkout Sunday, figure around $2,700

I would rather slum it and play a pick 6 haha.

Thanks for the info though, but the place looks gorgeous
Old 10-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...5-54ba596febe2

I'm staying there, little bit of a drive but not much more than Pasadena. $158 a night. That was a military rate but the regular wasn't much more, like $180 if memory serves. It gets very good reviews too.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #14
anotherCAfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...5-54ba596febe2

I'm staying there, little bit of a drive but not much more than Pasadena. $158 a night. That was a military rate but the regular wasn't much more, like $180 if memory serves. It gets very good reviews too.
Friday drive (if you're going Friday) will be a little crazy, but not too bad.

BTW -- you have some really good restaurants a few blocks up the street from where you're staying.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherCAfan
Friday drive (if you're going Friday) will be a little crazy, but not too bad.

BTW -- you have some really good restaurants a few blocks up the street from where you're staying.
Thanks for the info. Which restaurant would you recommend first?