Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #16
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
You understand the pace difference and strength requirement difference between dirt and turf, I hope.

Regarding your last statement, what are you talking about? Porter has said over and over that if she proves good enough that he'd want her to take on males next year. He ran Eight Belles in the Derby and Havre de Grace in the Woodward and Classic. What owner comes close to running multiple females in top spots in recent years? So there's no reason to not trust what he says.
The difference between dirt and turf is that on dirt the they go fast early and on turf they go fast late. Studies have shown that fillies average only a couple of lengths slower than colts on dirt. Not a big difference for exceptional fillies to make up. Actually because of the better traction on turf it favors horses with longer more powerful strides.
Porter was so shocked by what happened to Eight Belles in the Derby that he generalized that to all fillies and refused to have Songbird take on even a weak crop of colts. He went on record as to not even consider running her against colts. Traumatic events can make people do irrational things.
I'm glad to hear he plans to change his plans for the filly next year.

I have nothing against Porter. I feel his pain for what happened to Eight Belles and greatly admire how he named Songbird in honor of Eva Cassidy - which was my point in starting this thread.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #17
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo
The difference between dirt and turf is that on dirt the they go fast early and on turf they go fast late. Studies have shown that fillies average only a couple of lengths slower than colts on dirt. Not a big difference for exceptional fillies to make up. Actually because of the better traction on turf it favors horses with longer more powerful strides.
Porter was so shocked by what happened to Eight Belles in the Derby that he generalized that to all fillies and refused to have Songbird take on even a weak crop of colts. He went on record as to not even consider running her against colts. Traumatic events can make people do irrational things.
I'm glad to hear he plans to change his plans for the filly next year.

I have nothing against Porter. I feel his pain for what happened to Eight Belles and greatly admire how he named Songbird in honor of Eva Cassidy - which was my point in starting this thread.
The difference between turf and dirt is that the pace is fast the whole race on dirt. Sprints and turf are equalizers between the sexes.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #18
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo
This right here. People giving bobphilo grief need to check the original post and take a break, for crying out loud. Looking at you, Fager Fan.

We can resume the battle re the Classic once and if Songbird is entered. Can't we enjoy Songbird's run as it exists and appreciate Eva Cassidy's music? If you can't do that . . .
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #19
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldMan
This right here. People giving bobphilo grief need to check the original post and take a break, for crying out loud. Looking at you, Fager Fan.

We can resume the battle re the Classic once and if Songbird is entered. Can't we enjoy Songbird's run as it exists and appreciate Eva Cassidy's music? If you can't do that . . .
Heaven forbid someone correct that "the connections will never ever take on males" when it was clearly wrong. I let it slide that the same poster then said the reason was Eight Belles when the owner has said repeatedly that EB had nothing to do with it. Better to let incorrect statements sit out there for others to believe than to correct them. Looking at you, OldMan.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #20
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Looking at you, OldMan.
Did you read the original post - have you ever listened to Eva Cassidy? Not in the time it takes to Google her - did you ever listen to her music? That's what this thread was about originally. That's all. Hoping we can all have an argument down the road about Songbird.

Last edited by VeryOldMan; 09-26-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #21
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Beholder will be plenty enough of a challenge in the Distaff. We already know that Beholder is competitive with high level older Grade 1 males. So "if" she can handler Beholder (which will be no easy task), then it will make sense to try her against older males next year. If she can handle that, then the Classic is an option at the end of next year.

No reason to throw her straight into the biggest fire yet without testing her at some of the levels in between. The one difference between her and Rachel is that Rachel was further along at this stage. This filly is moving along a little slower, but she may be just as good or better before it's all over. She was certainly really good right from the start and is still getting better. We'll see.
I thought Songbird was further along at an early stage than Rachel Alexandra. Songbird was already a champion and Rachel didn't fully blossom until the winter at the Fairgrounds.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #22
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Did you read the original post - have you ever listened to Eva Cassidy? Not in the time it takes to Google her - did you ever listen to her music? That's what this thread was about originally. That's all. Hoping we can all have an argument down the road about Songbird.
Why are you jumping all over me? It was the topic starter who made the comment about her never taking on males that I responded to. He wasn't sticking to the subject of just Eva Cassidy either. It's called a conversation, and I thought it was going just fine until you decided to make it a brawl.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #23
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Why are you jumping all over me? It was the topic starter who made the comment about her never taking on males that I responded to. He wasn't sticking to the subject of just Eva Cassidy either. It's called a conversation, and I thought it was going just fine until you decided to make it a brawl.
Appreciated - just thought you were giving OP too much of a hard time. That's all. Wanna join me on the parlay of Songbird, Eva Cassidy and Dr Fager?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #24
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Appreciated - just thought you were giving OP too much of a hard time. That's all. Wanna join me on the parlay of Songbird, Eva Cassidy and Dr Fager?
Hardly a bad note can be found between the three.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:13 PM   #25
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Hardly a bad note can be found between the three.
Amen!