Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
How is this a halfway idea? The original P-6 is left intact so those players will continue and the payoff is enhanced by a jackpot. Win-win.
I think he meant Del Mar's version, not yours.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #32
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I think he meant Del Mar's version, not yours.
Upon further review, my post as written has been reversed and there is no disagreement with the post I replied to. Thanks for clearing the fog that has engulfed my head.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #33
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Do you really want to play smart ass with me? I mean, I'm always game, so let me know.

There is something known as optimal takeout rate...right?
I have had a lot of disagreements with TLG on other threads, but this is absolutely right. There's an optimal percentage from a revenue standpoint, amd it's not necessarily the number that maximizes total handle.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #34
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter
How would racetracks know what the optimal takeout is when they have never tried it and certainly never will. It is like me opening up a burger stand next to In and Out and Mcdonalds. I start off charging $20 per burger, that isn't working so i go to $17.50 a Burger, I sell a few more but not enough more to justify making $2.50 less on the ones I was already selling, so time to go back to $20. Nowhere in my mindset am I looking to compete with the competition and sell my burgers for $7.99(after all my Burgers are bigger and better).

Welcome to racing's world of optimal takeout.
I'm not going to defend all racetrack decisions on takeout, but I am pretty sure that racetracks have access to sophisticated internal studies on optimal takeout.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
I have had a lot of disagreements with TLG on other threads, but this is absolutely right. There's an optimal percentage from a revenue standpoint, amd it's not necessarily the number that maximizes total handle.
That wasn't really the discussion though. He didn't mention optimal takeout from a racetrack point of view.

Quote:
I think the lower takeout will discourage a significant part of their Pick-6 handle from playing, believe it or not.
I'm sure TLG has thought this out and has a reason for stating that. I'm interested in hearing it. Rebates possibly?
Old 09-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #36
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I'm not going to defend all racetrack decisions on takeout, but I am pretty sure that racetracks have access to sophisticated internal studies on optimal takeout.
They do, and they have ignored them at every turn.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:06 PM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
Upon further review, my post as written has been reversed and there is no disagreement with the post I replied to. Thanks for clearing the fog that has engulfed my head.
No worries Andy, I'm usually in a foggy state so I understand. I read from bottom up and had a moment of clarity.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #38
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
They do, and they have ignored them at every turn.
I am going to go off on a tangent for a moment.

I'm a bit of a passenger rail buff. Not hard core, but I like a relaxing two day train ride once in awhile.

But I can't stand the enthusiasts who dominate Internet discussions of Amtrak, who are called "foamers" (because they foam at the mouth when they see a train).

And the reason is because if you go to any of their websites, or the website of the foamers' lobby, the National Association of Rail Passengers, what they do is take Amtrak's financial reports and go through all sorts of machinations to prove that long distance trains and sleeping cars make money for Amtrak.

The problem is, if that were true, Amtrak would of course gladly expand the service. They don't, because, of course, it isn't true. Amtrak has the real numbers. They know how much it costs them. Which is why when Amtrak does cutbacks, it almost never does them on popular commuter lines (indeed, they add service on the Acela, the commuter services out of Chicago, and the San Joaquin and Surfliner trains in California). They have been trying for 46 years to get costs down on long distance sleeper trains. And before that, their private railroad predecessors did the same thing. Turns out there's these inventions called the airplane and interstate highway which really destroy the market for sleeper trains.

End of digression.

My point, of course, is that I suspect the takeout studies don't exactly say what a lot of horseplayers think they say. I'm not saying that lowering takeout is a money loser. I suspect that in certain situations, it could be a moneymaker. But you'd need a significant amount of handle coming on track or from non-rebate players, you'd need attractive races that people want to bet on at the lower takeout, and you'd need a pretty carefully calibrated reduction (e.g., the exotic takeouts might go down less than a lot of people here would like).

And I bet the studies also show that where wagering product is particularly attractive, takeout could be profitably raised. Churchill could probably get away with a pretty high takeout on the Derby, for instance.

Finally, I bet that the studies show that takeout reductions are subject to a significant matching effect, where if one of the big players did one, its competitors could probably blunt its effect by lowering takeout themselves, which would leave the market at a less profitable equilibrium. This is a familiar problem to the airlines, which have to be somewhat careful about discounting because of this. The discount is only profitable if the competitors don't match it.

Now, that's just based on my background knowledge as a lawyer with a fair amount of economics training. I'm not saying any of that conclusively. Perhaps takeout reductions can more broadly attract business than I think. I'm not weighing in on that.

But what I am pretty sure of is that the major players have studied this, and like Amtrak and the sleepers, have concluded that broad-based across the board takeout reductions are unlikely to be profitable for the major players in the industry. Instead, they nibble around the edges (such as with the Players' Pick Five in Southern California).

People who run major, multi-million dollar businesses with national reach, are not stupid, and do not ignore their economic studies.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #39
AndyC

Quote:
Optimal takeout for me is 0%. I doubt that lowering the takeout rate will cause a decrease in handle, as suggested. Lowering the takeout for the track may not, however, be optimal for maximizing take. If there were sophisticated internal studies on optimal take you would have to believe that there would be a big push by the tracks to get to that level.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #40
thaskalos

Quote:
What good does it do to have access to "sophisticated studies on optimal takeout"...if you are unwilling to abide by what these studies show you?
Old 09-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #41
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I have to guess that CH RB thinks every pick 6 player is a high roller. Or those are the ones they care about. This has to kill the guy that dips in 10-12 times a year. He won't be doing it at Del Mar until the last day

Great thread btw. You guys are sharp on this kind of stuff 👍
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #42
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I have to guess that CH RB thinks every pick 6 player is a high roller. Or those are the ones they care about. This has to kill the guy that dips in 10-12 times a year. He won't be doing it at Del Mar until the last day

Great thread btw. You guys are sharp on this kind of stuff 👍
I don't know how much if affects the guy that dips in 10 times a year. Maybe that guy gets 5 out of 6 one or two times mayne three unless he's really spending or he's really ,really good.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply