Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I would also welcome any pre-race comments by the trainers...about any subtle "changes" in the horses' condition from race to race. Alas...the trainers seem to prefer remaining tight-lipped about such things.
A trainer is allowed to bet on his own horse, right?
And the same guy also gets to decide the riding strategy, whether or not today is a go or a workout race?

When the Chef gets his choice of the steaks before the customer, it is time to find new restaurant.

When you really look at this game, we are NUTS to play it.
Those who run it don't even consider us customers.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #17
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I would also welcome any pre-race comments by the trainers...about any subtle "changes" in the horses' condition from race to race. Alas...the trainers seem to prefer remaining tight-lipped about such things.
It's clearly an edge if you use the information properly. I learned that from my days as a hotwalker one summer in the 70s and I am seeing it now when it comes to the horses I own a small piece of. I know if they missed a work and why, who they are working in company with and how well they did, if they've jogged on turf and how they handled it even though there is no recorded work and they may have never raced on it etc.... If I had that kind of information on 25-50 horses I'd almost have to find an edge here or there.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #18
WoxFan

When i was at saratoga i told andy s that we need a cloning machine for harvey pack. Harveys weekly saratoga video is the only video i now wach at drf.com
WoxFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #19
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoxFan
When i was at saratoga i told andy s that we need a cloning machine for harvey pack. Harveys weekly saratoga video is the only video i now wach at drf.com
His reaction?
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2016, 05:01 AM   #20
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
And the same guy also gets to decide the riding strategy, whether or not today is a go or a workout race?

When the Chef gets his choice of the steaks before the customer, it is time to find new restaurant. When you really look at this game, we are NUTS to play it.

Over the years I personally heard (1) a high level executive at a major track; (2) a very well-known, long time successful trainer; and, (3) a state steward, refer to horse players as 'suckers'. And none were saying this in a kind or joking manner.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #21
Stretch Out

Learned the horses and racing from Harvey Pack in the 80's and the Sportschanel NYRA replay show. The show was great- favorite all time show to this day. Harvey always let his guests speak.

I really enjoy the current 2 hour show with Andy, Jason, Maggie, Gabby and The Mig. Everyone so well prepared.

I especially like the trainer interviews. Maggie has a great repoir with the trainers- saw Shug interviewed last week. Tremendous.

To me, the best line of the year goes to Migliore when he criticized Bejarano's Haskell ride on American Freedom- "he claimed foul against Exaggerator, but he really should have claimed foul on himself for having the stick in the wrong hand" Then he came back the next day and was critical of Bejarano once again- this time of his ride on Dortmund in the Pacific Classic- saying he should have been better positioned from the outside early. I thought Mig's commentary was incisive-

Don't care for his on track appearance analysis- 3MTP - I am really liking Limousine Liberal here. Just not my thing.
Stretch Out is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #22
the little guy

I loved that line from Mig too. It made me laugh out loud. I feel like he said something like " Bejarano should have claimed against himself."

Too funny.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #23
Stretch Out

Yup- I think that was it. Claim foul against himself!! Best line I have heard in a long while.

I texted my horse buddy right away. Mig was spot on!

The 2 hour show moves right along- I really enjoy the whole production.
Stretch Out is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #24
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom

When the Chef gets his choice of the steaks before the customer, it is time to find new restaurant.

When you really look at this game, we are NUTS to play it.
I many times find it amazing that some of us/many of us/whatever the amount is, survive in this game.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #25
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odds-On
2 weeks Pack was on Byk ....Told Byk he loves Andy and Gaby but after awhile he mutes them...which doesnt make sense.He then went on the say Mig sounds like hes auditioning for a mount.."every Mott horse looks ready and fit""They all look good"."i dont need anyone telling me that"

Pack continued..He said someone tried the same stuff on his show long ago and he wouldnt allowed it..

Did anyone else hear the show?
The difference between Mig and Maggie Wolfendale is that Maggie will express a negative opinion, although in a low key way, like Horse A is doesn't look quite as muscled as he did at the end of last year. Although Mig is looking for some specific things and he passes those things along - an aggressive warm up for example.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 03:00 AM   #26
salty
undefined

They will express a negative opinion. I remember them both saying how terrible the 10 horse looked in the last race the day Jose Ortiz won his thousandth race. They pointed to so many things that in their opinion made the horse a definite throw out. Then he miraculously crushed the feild under Irad Ortiz at 5/2. Can you really trust what these people are saying? I've watched about every race live at the meet this this year and for a fact I can say that there are some shady things going on from time to time. Wouldn't it be so easy for them to steer you wrong knowing that most handicappers weakness is in the physicality handicapping?
Old 09-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #27
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty
They will express a negative opinion. I remember them both saying how terrible the 10 horse looked in the last race the day Jose Ortiz won his thousandth race. They pointed to so many things that in their opinion made the horse a definite throw out. Then he miraculously crushed the feild under Irad Ortiz at 5/2. Can you really trust what these people are saying? I've watched about every race live at the meet this this year and for a fact I can say that there are some shady things going on from time to time. Wouldn't it be so easy for them to steer you wrong knowing that most handicappers weakness is in the physicality handicapping?

Moonlight Song.. the horse always looks washy.. big props to Caton Bredar for pointing this out .. it was probably just an honest mistake. if you didn't know this about this horse you would never bet on it based on the appearance that day. Caton Bredar is extremely sharp and her judgment on a horses physical appearance is superior . She is a must follow
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #28
feelup1963

Thumbs down Maggie!!!!

While everyone is showering maggie with praises,no one notice that during her paddock show sat aug 27 re: ballerina stakes she did not mention a thing about her husband horse (haveyougoneaway).which actually won the race.NICE JOB MAGGIE FAIR AND OBJECTIVE.
feelup1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #29
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelup1963
While everyone is showering maggie with praises,no one notice that during her paddock show sat aug 27 re: ballerina stakes she did not mention a thing about her husband horse (haveyougoneaway).which actually won the race.NICE JOB MAGGIE FAIR AND OBJECTIVE.
She doesn't speak about her husband's horses more often than not in an effort to be fair.

Maggie does a great job and more importantly, an honest job. I know, I write down most of what she says and she is extremely honest.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #30
jk3521
Registered Loser

Maggie Wolfendale is the one person on the show that deserves nothing but praise on the job she does. The others do have their short-comings, but all together it is a top class operation . I still miss Harvey , though. May he live forever !
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply